• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are Types Constant?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, please don't flip out if there have been five billion threads on this topic, as I can imagine there have been. However, I was always curious if types are constant.

Personally, I think it is a combination of nature and nurture.

Over my lifetime, I think I have really changed a lot. As I developed, I think my type developed as well.

What do you think??? :shock:

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I think that in solitude, one has always had a relatively static core self. In public, one employs defense mechanisms and all sorts of distractions to ease anxiety and to be accepted, but over time, the true self emerges and becomes more comfortable facing the world on a constant.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Doubtful.

Constancy in type presumes one has a non-biased assessment of their essential identity.

Were this even possible, our system of intellectual behavior is unavoidably influenced by the world around us. Not even in a dramatic sense either; academia is a good example of this.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I was an incredibly ENFP child. I had an active imagination, was very much into singing and dancing and performing in dances in front of other people, was very artistic and outgoing in school. I was a pretty good student and very well-behaved.

In middle school I began to change. I became more introverted, more bookish and interested in arcane subjects. Now I'm a boring, ununimaginative ISTJ adult. Since a major stressful event recently (the loss of a parent) I have actually become more F than T.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Types are entirely theoretical, so I don't think they have enough real significance to be either constant or fixed.

People, however, are always changing, or at least, as Dana said, developing and emerging. The "types" used to explain these people might also change, sometimes, too, I suppose.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Type theory says that we start with our first two functions (the middle letters of our type code) and spend the first half of life developing them as our preferred way of taking in information and making decisions--the essence of maturity.

The second half of life is about developing the other two functions. Sensing types who note the "trees" start appreciating the "forest" and Intuitives begin the opposite. Thinking types start paying attention to subjective forces in decisions and Feeling types gain skills at being objective.

Research shows that Extraverts, because of declining physical energy as they age, seek more Introverted time to regain energy. Introverts, though, generally don't seek more Extraverted time--society forces enough on them.

This all assumes support of the child by parents and environment. Environment definitely influences behavior--all you have to do is compare Extraverted behavior in Introverted and Extraverted countries to see this!!!

All that said, it only makes sense that our behaviors change as we gain wisdom and skills. That doesn't mean, though, that our preferences change. My introverted imagination drove me as a child and still does as an adult, but I'd be pretty ineffective if I hadn't picked up more Extraverted sensing skills as I went along--reality is so important to success!!!

Edcoaching (INFJ)

LowEnd

MBTI Type
INTP
I'd say type is the absolute basis for the rest of our selves. With those tendencies so deep down, there is a lot of room for maneuver among all other facets of being. Slight variations could emerge, but I wouldn't expect an INTP to come across as an ESFJ. With that in mind though, I think any type is susceptible to being reduced to to their shadow functions under the right (or wrong) circumstances.

Brain trauma would probably work if you were desperate.

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
Definitely not constant for me.

For the first 17 years, I grew up as an ISFJ. I was shy, self-conscious about my everything. My low self-esteem was a disaster. I could never imagine I would be able to open my mouth and get attention in any conversations. I did everything on everyone else's behalf but mine. Trying to say "No" gave me a hard time.

In the 18th year, I was blahh... mediocre, i would say... I don't even know what type I was at the time.... I was changing but wasnt aware of it.

The first day I stepped into college, I became an ESFP. Odd huh?! I was surprised myself. Almost everyone at the orientation knew who I was. I became pretty well-known during my first year and 1st half of 2nd year. I got excited and animated every time I was around people. Making ppl laugh made me feel recharged. I felt free, complete, and at ease with myself. Confident would be a good word to describe me at the time.

As the 2nd school year started, I met my second closest friend. There was something very unique about her that really attracted me. The way she gave people (including me) advises just opened my eyes. She was 'unconventional'. She came up with thoughts that most people didn't think of. One day I just asked her to do the Jung personality test for fun. It came out she was an ENFJ. I then found the most suitable word in the description of ENFJ to describe her was charismatic.

From that day, I started to read into a lot of books, articles, websites on personality types. I wondered how 4 letter words made such difference about each individual. Reading Keirsey's Please Understand Me just made me idolize NF at the time :shock: I wished I could become an N :p But I knew I couldn't. In most of the conversations with my friend (the ENFJ), I always felt I couldnt go beyond my limit. At certain points, it got too abstract for me. I always got irritated and wondered why she just couldn't see what I saw, instead of thinking of something so "unrealistic".

Then on a beautiful winter day, I realized I had become an N. Please don't ask me why. I changed before I noticed because I never thought it would be possible (from an S dominant to an N dominant and vice versa). But for the first time, I knew what "head in the clouds" meant. For the first time, all the books I've ever read started to interconnect with each other in a flash of thought. For the first time I thought that I could write (even though my 18 years of being an S didn't provide me much vocabulary or writing skills; and besides English was not my first language) For the first time I could had a real conversation and felt connected with my INFJ brother who, before, I constantly had a fight with due to my criticizing him of living in the clouds and neglecting daily matters (finance and such). For the first time, I could say I saw "BIG" :cool:

Anyway I could really go on and on with that :p I guess you got the idea.
I read into neurology lately and I think it's completely possible for us to change our type.

p.s. I realized I used too many I's. Sorry for wearing you out (if you read).

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
There is no evidence to support that type is constant.

On the other hand, many psychologists have claimed that type changes through life.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There is no evidence to support that type is constant.

On the other hand, many psychologists have claimed that type changes through life.

Your personality associated type can change, E.G, you may pretend to be an extrovert for a long time and develop many extroverted qualities whilst working a sales job as an introvert, though your biological tendency to introvert will change only with great difficulty. Usually it would take a traumatic incident like being hit over the head with a brick or fighting a war, or some kind of severe brain damage. Of course at an early age (below 5) it shall all be much easier.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
True enough: There appears to be ample evidence supporting that E/I is to some extend biologically determined.

BUT scientific E/I is not the same as MBTI-wise E/I.

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
I don't think E or I themselves play an important part on personality types.
The 2 main functions are what matter. If your dominant function is extraverted, then you're an E, and vice versa.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Okay, please don't flip out if there have been five billion threads on this topic, as I can imagine there have been. However, I was always curious if types are constant.

Personally, I think it is a combination of nature and nurture.

Over my lifetime, I think I have really changed a lot. As I developed, I think my type developed as well.

What do you think??? :shock:
Agree with your assessment thus yes type is constant, however cognitive functions are fluid therefore can be used in degree for any given situation. Which is why going back to the cognitive function tests that are sometimes suggested, they only provide you with an indication of which is being used predominantly at the time of testing.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I think who we are out our core remains the same. But as we grow and mature, we'll build onto that, and 'evolve'. Whereas the internal process/decision point, and even general behaviors when young might have been a more kneejerk reaction/instinctual response, as one ages more levels of analyses or factors to be considered will be built upon the initial response, so that the net outcome when older might be quite different from when younger.

But only we ourselves can really know what goes on in making that decision, or taking a certain action -- outside observers wouldn't see that. From the outside perspective, I almost think it would appear as though types CAN change -- since observable behaviors are what we tend to go off of anyway, when we're trying to type people.

I don't know. I fully understand, and agree with, the concept that ones core remains ones core for a lifetime.

I do however have difficulty with the 'usefulness' and supposed truth that ones' MBTI type is fixed for life. If someone when they're 60 is for all intents and purposes behaving as if they are an ENTJ, even if while young they behaved and acted mostly like an INTJ (or ENFP, or whatever), what is the point of continuing to type them as INTJ, or for that person to continue viewing himself as INTJ when he has consciously moved on from it? This is where I have a problem with mbti.

The only thing I am certain has remained a constant in my life is my I-ness. But to be truthful, at times I really question whether I was an INxx child, because I don't remember being all that imaginative or day-dreamy as a child. I remember being observant, and always introspecting about things, but that's about it.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
True enough: There appears to be ample evidence supporting that E/I is to some extend biologically determined.

BUT scientific E/I is not the same as MBTI-wise E/I.

For this reason Jungian terminology must be re-defined to better fit the phenomena it aspires to describe. MBTI could be discarded altogether. Jung was merely onto something, it is up to us to rectify and further his inquiry into the subject.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
First of all, scientists say the human brain does not reach full capacity until its mid-twenties so this would suggest personality would not be formed until somebodies mid-twenties either.

Also, I am not convince ones personality is totally 'static' if even after ones mid-twenties. I think extrinsic events change people.

Image an ESFP was in a car accident and was disfigured; do you really think it would be really surprising if their personality changed completely?

I am pretty sure most people who go in the armed forces, for better or worse, don't come out the same people. Would it really be surprising if someone who first signed up was a P turned into a hard-core J? Would it really be that unusual for someone having been in a war to get head completely mess up and completely change their personality?

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think you are always a certain type, but certain outside factors can influence the expression of the type. Mental illness is certainly a huge factor - anxiety tends to make a person more introverted & depression seems to have the same effect. Mania tends to make someone appear more extraverted.

Also, the influence of another introvert or extravert can push someone to falsely believe they are introverted or extraverted. I have an extremely introverted boyfriend who in a way forces me to be the extraverted one of the relationship. My mother is a VERY extraverted ESTP, who has definitely taught me the tools of being able to flourish in a social atmosphere. Between these two influences heavy in my life right now & the return to therapy in an attempt to conquer an anxiety disorder, I've noticed a shift from INFJ to ENFJ... though I am unsure which is my natural preference.

Obviously stress has an influence... my boyfriend has been going through a really tough time & I can see the "F" in his personality switch to a "T". His J & P tend to flip flop as well when he's under unbearable stress.

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, I'm open to the possibility. But I will agree it is no easy feat.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Psychological theory is a best guess. At best. Now, I like the MBTI and it is my personal opinion that it is one hell of a good guess, but it is nowhere near being an absolute truth. If there were to be an absolute truth, the letter-code for a personality type might be a million letters and/or digits. And then it would hardly be useful anymore. :) MBTI is a great sketchy rough outline of people as they tend to be. Love it.

To the point, though, I believe that type is not constant. People talk a lot about "shadow type" and such. Except that I do believe that people can change. Especially after they've been through something of a personal hell. I changed a lot during a period of five or six years. Can't say i'm anything like I was before that physically or mentally. I was a very friendly INTP. I kept to myself a lot as a kid and I had a bunch of abstract interests wich I seldom shared with anyone. Pretty detached from the physical world. Very T... Began evolving my Feeling functions when I was about 17, before that I was almost constantly annoyed with the world lacking in logic and that everyone seemed to be unable to detach themself to see the big picture.
Circumstances made me more ENTJ/ENTP-like, at least at this point in life. I'm not going into it but there were pretty severe psychological trauma involved, really should have seen a psychologist, but I never did. And I turned out a wee bit crazy, but mostly intact :D