• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are Types Constant?

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Not absolutely. If I were to go by myself, I'd say there are fluctuations at any moment, but little change at the base. If I am around disordered people and places, I go into "sort this out and get this done" mode, which seems J-ish. By anal-retentive, bossy people? tune out and drift into laid-back P-ville. By extroverts? Go quiet. By introverts? play the extrovert to get people talking.
Yet it almost always come back, when all is settled and there are no major external interferences, to an INTP equilibrium point. The question is then what happens when subjected over a long period to a major external stressor. Do you then become the type you are acting over years-time? I think some mistype themselves because of their adaptive mechanisms, but then it is arguable whether this is really "mistyping".

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I feel like I did, my father told me that I was an ESFP (seriously) until right around when my mom died. After that, my life was completely tipped over, and I fell into the abyss of introversion, because my father was the only one I could talk about my feelings to, when I seldom did..and I began seeing life bigger then what I had previously sensed it to be..and now, 12 years later, I am completely different; I shed the skin, and really opened up the door.

miked277

MBTI Type
INTP
i dunno if anyone's mentioned enneagram yet but, just in terms of change and growth it has a lot more information. granted the order of one's mbti cognitive processes sort of map out a path for growth i prefer much more the enneagram "map"

i say use both systems (others too if you find them useful) and find out what fits you best with regards to where you are and where you're going.

TrueHeart

MBTI Type
INFP
Type does not change. Those saying "Well, in some situations, I do this," or "When I was younger, I was like that," are describing behavioral adaptation and individual development of type (both of which are accounted for in typology) not changes of type.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think, once you found out your right type and got somewhat deeper into its meanings, type is pretty constant.

For example after the long-lasting discussions about Introversion or Extroversion, there was the conclusion that an Extroverted Type definitly can be introverted. It just depends on how he processes his information and reasoning. With P Types for example, it is always S or N what is there main function. An Extroverted Sensor can appear extroverted, when he reacts to the environment around him and the experiences gathered from the past. An introverted Sensor will be more introverted, cause it is not always clear, what he exactly saw, why for example a machine does not work anymore.

If you consider N on the other hand, a main function Extroverted and Introverted Intuition type is most likely to be nuts. Depending on what level of conversation you are faced and Extroverted Intuitor can be forced to be very introverted, cause there is just no need for his sense to pick on everything and everyone that apperead to be wrong.

I am just talking on the surface right now, do not want to write too much.

If you go on to the difference between T and F and that in combination with J. If you have someone, who deliberatly comes to conclusions, through TJ, why should he resend to a EP function for example, if not by an illness of the brain. My grandma used to say, you cant change the weather and so is TJ or FJ. That is not meant bad that is just a necessissity, no one needs a rebel EP, if there are no rules set by TJ's ;).

Another thing, the change from EP to TJ for example. Or to FJ. I mean consider it, concerning an ENTP that wants to become an ENTJ, I need to change everything. I have to change my way of thinking from mechanically inclined, analytical analysis, too structured organization and strategy managment. That is just impossible. I maybe can learn to think Te, but it does not intrest me and that is one crucial point. You will always stick with the thinks you can, cause you developed them because you were intrested in them in the first place. But I wont dismiss it yet, the possibility to change from Ti to Te.

Ok next step on the way from ENTP to ENTJ. My Ne needs to change to Ni and it needs to become less important for me in the order of functions. My good manners Fe needs to be abandonned and become emo-like (no heart feelings) Fi-ness. I need to become from routinized learned processes Si to become Se, world embracing and processing thinks through my 6 (or was it 5) senses. That is nearly impossible, because my intellectual life style (that means my computer addiction) already brought me to the point that I need to wear glasses and that I am a danger in traffic.

Well I have no evidence or facts to underline my theisis. I think if you have become a person and developed a personality that will never change. There are people around you, like your parents, wife (and yeah your wifes parents aswell), good friends that all would see change in you and maybe talk to you, if that is what is good for you.

If you once had the feeling or moment of thinking in your life, when you think, I am totally happy with my life, me and who I am, you will never abbandon this. Cause that is you. Any change of that wont make you happy in the long run.

And I dont mean that you have to stick with the same things all your life and being a boring fartass. I mean the way you cope with things.

Hope that was somewhat understandable :)

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i'm in the 'core stays the same' camp. i think some things are just so central, so easily accessible in our character that it'll take bit of a miracle to change these things.

keep in mind that you can be the same type and change throughout your life. as a kid i was very shy, yet i was warm. the ENFP analysis says that ENFP kids could overextend when they're young in seek of public approval, overshoot and end up being 'gushy'. i think they got it bang on the nail.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i'm in the 'core stays the same' camp. i think some things are just so central, so easily accessible in our character that it'll take bit of a miracle to change these things.

keep in mind that you can be the same type and change throughout your life. as a kid i was very shy, yet i was warm. the ENFP analysis says that ENFP kids could overextend when they're young in seek of public approval, overshoot and end up being 'gushy'. i think they got it bang on the nail.

See, when I was younger, people would take a really long time to warm up to me, and then, with a look of :shock: on their faces would say:

"Damn!!!! When I first met you, I thought you were an arrogant asshole, but now that I've gotten to know you, I realize that you're really nice."

Hmm, then you sit there and think: Shit, was that a compliment or a slap in the face??? :blush:

Can anyone else relate?

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
See, when I was younger, people would take a really long time to warm up to me, and then, with a look of :shock: on their faces would say:

"Damn!!!! When I first met you, I thought you were an arrogant asshole, but now that I've gotten to know you, I realize that you're really nice."

Hmm, then you sit there and think: Shit, was that a compliment or a slap in the face??? :blush:

Can anyone else relate?

since you're a fellow ENFP you have me interested. why was it that it took a long time for you to warm up?