• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dom/Tert Loops: Real or Fake?

Dom/Tert Loops: Real or Fake?

• Total voters

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Its based upon my observations over time not a jump. Also its why the preface of personal opinion was listed.

I don't believe in the whole TiNi loop thing. That may explain moments in an ISTPs life (Ni creeps in as paranoia and doubt) but not a prolonged period of time. That makes no sense (to me). When under stress I have escaped into Ti (without Ni) or Se ( without Ti filters) not skipped it and gone to Ni and lingered there.

If someone is typing themselves as ISTP in a "loop" they are mistyped. But I can understand why people would not agree with this. There seems to be two sides on the loop issues. People who believe it and those who don't. So that's where I'm coming from.

I thought MDP2525 brought up a very good point here. I actually have a thread revolving around this TiNi loop thing, which is titled: Who thinks I'am an ISTP? Vote for this if you believe it! Loops seem to be a way of inventing explaining for things we don't understand the prime causes for, kind of like how people called the Earth flat, or how people would call lightningbolts God's divine wrath.

Of course, I could be wrong, and there could be at least a little something to this loop theory, but it seems like a weak foundation to base a whole typing argument on. So what do you folks think about Dom/Tert Loops: Real or Fake?

I

Infinite Bubble

I think they exist because they are a logical way of explaining unhealthy behavior. An introvert under certain conditions will withdraw from the world and into themselves even more; a situation which causes them to bypass the extroverted auxiliary functions - after all, introversion is their natural state of being. The opposite is true for extroverts, bypassing their introverted auxiliary, for the same reasons. They would probably be too objective and avoid the inner turmoil that's going on inside them. That last statement should be clarified because I'm not as sure on it. But for introverts it definitely makes sense why they would go into a tertiary loop. For healthy being, a balance of intro- and extroversion is needed, and it makes sense that someone who isn't wouldn't have this balance. That is my take on it anyway.

I actually have a thread revolving around this TiNi loop thing, which is titled: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...who-thinks-i-am-istp-vote-if-you-believe.html

Tut-tut, that shameless advertising there! :D

S

Society

functions are a method our brain produces to provide for our needs in dealing with reality.

- we need Te/Ti to resolve cognitive dissonance.
- we need Fi/Fe to resolve emotional dissonance.
- we pay attention to Si/Ni for maximum coherency.
- we pay attention to Ne/Se for maximum stimulation.

these are responses to different forms of stress, and we are shaped into a given order based on the stresses we are most sensitive too.

but sometimes life deals you milk even if you're lactose intolerant - certain events, internal accumulation over time, or any combination thereof, will force you to deal hands down with the sort of stresses you are less equipped to deal with.

so if you are an ENTP and you get overwhelmed by emotional dissonance, you're Ti is no longer the tool for the job, so you'll utilize an NeFe loop.
if an INTP feels extremely confused and overwhelmed, paying attention to Ne is just going to make things worst, so the Ti will start paying attention to Si for coherence.
etc...

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fake. I don't think it logically follows that these loops must exist based on the other information given by the MBTI, and it gets dangerously close to the kind of predictive measures that a typology system like this one can never actually do.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sounds a little loopy to me.

I think it is valid though.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay folks... I was probably wrong; it looks like this loop theory is actually for real - I am a clear case of TiNi!

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
functions are a method our brain produces to provide for our needs in dealing with reality.

these are responses to different forms of stress, and we are shaped into a given order based on the stresses we are most sensitive too.

but sometimes life deals you milk even if you're lactose intolerant - certain events, internal accumulation over time, or any combination thereof, will force you to deal hands down with the sort of stresses you are less equipped to deal with.

so if you are an ENTP and you get overwhelmed by emotional dissonance, you're Ti is no longer the tool for the job, so you'll utilize an NeFe loop.
if an INTP feels extremely confused and overwhelmed, paying attention to Ne is just going to make things worst, so the Ti will start paying attention to Si for coherence.
etc...

Nah, we need T to define things, F to make judgments of what something is worth, S to perceive that something and N to see its possibilities over time(where it came from and where its going to), its hidden structures and to perceive instincts and hunches.

S

Society

Nah, we need T to define things, F to make judgments of what something is worth, S to perceive that something and N to see its possibilities over time(where it came from and where its going to), its hidden structures and to perceive instincts and hunches.

37008909.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought MDP2525 brought up a very good point here. I actually have a thread revolving around this TiNi loop thing, which is titled: Who thinks I'am an ISTP? Vote for this if you believe it! Loops seem to be a way of inventing explaining for things we don't understand the prime causes for, kind of like how people called the Earth flat, or how people would call lightningbolts God's divine wrath.

Somewhat sloppy comparison.

The loop makes sense in context of MBTI function ordering and potential discomfort with introverted/extroverted function direction. Its flaw is that of MBTI in general -- if MBTI is not accurate, then the loop concept is incorrect as well. If MBTI is right more or less, the loop concept meshes with the theory but hasn't yet been validated, it's just a construct meant to explain a behavior.

Consider looping a "working theory" ... it works theoretically but it's not verified, so it's a placeholder until some better explanation can be offered for these kinds of deviations from expected function preferences in MBTI.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

okay. it just seems like you dont know what you are talking about with these:

"- we need Te/Ti to resolve cognitive dissonance.
- we pay attention to Ne/Se for maximum stimulation."

i mean those just makes zero sense and contradict other stuff which i cant be bothered to explain right now. but feel free to try and give some argument for the claims you made

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Somewhat sloppy comparison.

The loop makes sense in context of MBTI function ordering and potential discomfort with introverted/extroverted function direction. Its flaw is that of MBTI in general -- if MBTI is not accurate, then the loop concept is incorrect as well. If MBTI is right more or less, the loop concept meshes with the theory but hasn't yet been validated, it's just a construct meant to explain a behavior.

Consider looping a "working theory" ... it works theoretically but it's not verified, so it's a placeholder until some better explanation can be offered for these kinds of deviations from expected function preferences in MBTI.
Spot on.
Now all we need is a thread: "How many of you have faked a Dom/Tert loop and why did you do it? Just thinking about all the crazy threads right now.

In MBTI theory I'd fall into the Dom/Tert loop category as an INFJ who has typically used Ti more strongly than Fe. I know other INFJs who seem to do the same, although I'm not sure it is an example of being unhealthy. It has always seemed perfectly sensible to me. I'm not always perfectly healthy emotionally, but I wouldn't equate my own issues with being in a Dom/Tert loop.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think they exist because they are a logical way of explaining unhealthy behavior. An introvert under certain conditions will withdraw from the world and into themselves even more; a situation which causes them to bypass the extroverted auxiliary functions - after all, introversion is their natural state of being. The opposite is true for extroverts, bypassing their introverted auxiliary, for the same reasons. They would probably be too objective and avoid the inner turmoil that's going on inside them. That last statement should be clarified because I'm not as sure on it. But for introverts it definitely makes sense why they would go into a tertiary loop. For healthy being, a balance of intro- and extroversion is needed, and it makes sense that someone who isn't wouldn't have this balance. That is my take on it anyway.

Tut-tut, that shameless advertising there! :D

I agree, this is how I see the loops.

if an INTP feels extremely confused and overwhelmed, paying attention to Ne is just going to make things worst, so the Ti will start paying attention to Si for coherence. etc...

I can relate to the INTP example. I claim to have strong Si but I wonder if its due to the dom-tert loop. Too much Si for too long will just stress me out.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Who thinks I'am in a TiNi Loop? Vote for this if you believe it!

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Who thinks I'am in a TiNi Loop? Vote for this if you believe it!

i dont think you are in some "loop", but i do think you are most likely an ISTP and tend to value your introvert side(TiNi) more than TiSe. but i wouldnt wonder if you were an Ni dom

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i dont think you are in some "loop", but i do think you are most likely an ISTP and tend to value your introvert side(TiNi) more than TiSe. but i wouldnt wonder if you were an Ni dom

Okay, thanks INTP for your input on me probably being a TiNi, and I decided to accept it; but I'm confused about whether at the end you called Ni-dom a real possibility or if you meant it's not possible, but I guess that doesn't matter too much, since the likely answer must be the right one.

I'm actually a very introverted person, and tend to withdraw from the outside world in reflection and synthesize information together into new visions for the world; that seems to fit the functions of Ti and Ni quite well. My Se is ok actually too, since I place lots of emphasis on spontaneous action and connecting with the present context.

edit - Well sorry, it looks like I changed my mind (for like the 1 millionth time), so ya...