• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Money and Shopping: Clues to your Type

Which option do you identify with most strongly?

• Plan and Save

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Saving is impractical

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spend elegantly and tastefully

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Natural savers

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Highly analytical comparison shoppers

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • The most organized approach

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Money matters least to this type

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Use money to care for others

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Money represents possibilities. Saving money up for the possibilities it represents comes naturally to Ne dominants.

Probably only if they also have great command of Si.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Natural savers don't have to plan. The money that is saved up then serves to feed their sense of possibilities.

I read this and instantly thought of a squirrel burying nuts... and I thought. "Yup. That one."

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I had the Fi "money doesn't matter" kind of mindset when I was about 16. I would do things that shocked my ISTJ grandfather.

However, I grew up and started living in the real world, and realized that I LIKE MONEY VERY MUCH. Money is an energy force that needs to be respected for what it represents and should be treated with care, and if you keep saying it doesn't matter, don't be surprised if this screws you over energetically at some point in life.
Don't worry; I am learning that right now. You speak the arc words of my year. First foot moving into that real world right as we speak. Learning the embarrassing truth of where spending your youth holed up in yourself leads (feely withdrawn type ololol). That whatever my first instinct is about money/resources, this isn't my time to be saying it. It's my time to listen.

Your story was a privilege check that hit in the right place.

S

Society

Money represents possibilities. Saving money up for the possibilities it represents comes naturally to Ne dominants.

you do realize we then spend money on the possibilities, right?

sometimes they pay off and make more money, other times they don't... in fact being risk-inclined tends to mean most of the times they don't - throw a hundred hero's at a goal with 20% of success, your probably not going to get many survivors. we can miscalculate investments by seen potential utility that the market doesn't support, we can underastimate problems and overastimate our own ideas, we can make money on one thing and then throw it all the next... possibilities are a dangerous business.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
These two:
Ni: Spend elegantly and tastefully
Fi: Money matters least to this type.

I'm actually decent at saving too, but not a penny-pincher or anything you could call frugal.
The idea of "natural saving" hits home. I don't have to budget really, I just sort of "know" & end up accumulating a savings & have it available for what I need. If this is some kind of "intuitive" way of saving, a kind of method to the madness, then yeah I can see the connection to Ne.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Answer key:
(modified slightly from the original text)
Si: Plan and Save: strong loyalty to brands and stores.
Se: Saving is impractical, buy it now.
Ni: Spend elegantly and tastefully
Ne: Natural savers
Ti: Highly analytical comparison shoppers.
Te: The most organized approach: records, receipts, etc.
Fi: Money matters least to this type.
Fe: Use money to care for others.

From: Rowan Bayne, Ideas and Evidence: Critical Reflections on MBTI Theory and Practice: Center for Applications of (January 2005)

Te-Ne-Ni-Si

hm

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Te-Ne-Ni-Si

hm

I'm not understanding why some are turning this into a cognitive functions test. It's only about the dominant function, and it's only providing a clue, not an answer.

Tabula

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Money makes me anxious. I want to not care about it, but I feel obligated to. I credit this to the never-ending civil war between my Si and ADHD. The qualities and things I tend to value are precisely those which are difficult for me as a result of my fickle ass executive functioning, resulting in anxiety. Whether that's "right" or not, I don't know, but it makes sense to me.

I don't actually plan or budget, instead, I sort of just know (or think I know) how much I have to work with. I can be somewhat impulsive with my money (impulsive meaning: buying a $5 latte instead of regular coffee, or getting takeout when I could make myself dinner, etc--nothing crazy) when I have a good amount of it available to me (before the bills are due each month). Somehow, I have never been late on a payment, and I always have enough for the things I need, but I don't have much in my savings account, and basically live paycheck-to-paycheck. I make sure to do extensive research for big purchases, but I don't do that for smaller things. I think my spending habits have a lot to do with how I live right now. I know that my current way of doing things isn't going to fly once/if I'm to become more independent.

Not sure what to make of this. :shrug:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What does "natural savers" mean? How is it different from "plan and save"?

S

Society

exact same question i had - i have a sense that the notion is that Ne doms would see money as "oh i can do that or that... but i can't decide, i'll just keep saving until i do..."

but that is silly - no Ne dom is one function person, yes we stay in limbo in terms of what we know but you do end up deciding despite not knowing, and when you do that the ExxP nature required for Ne dom is a hit in the face. because being risk takers naturally mean you end up working towards low probability (presumably high reward) outcomes, and if you have a 100 people doing things with a 1% success rate, its very likely that 99 of them (or something close) aren't going to end up on top.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I wish I could claim elegance and taste, but I'm wearing a Baggins Family Jewelers tee shirt with pink and red flowery Mary Jane sneakers right now. :unsure:

I usually spend everything I get just about as soon as I get it, but I try to make sure the necessities are covered. I love getting excellent bargains, but not enough to clip coupons unless I have to. I like nice quality stuff that will fit well and last a long time but I don't care about designer stuff or being flashy. I love spending money on both myself and others but I am terrible at waiting to give people stuff. Like, I can't buy Christmas presents months in advance because I will explode if I don't give them what I got for them RIGHT NOW.

I think my spending habits have almost as much to do with growing up poor as they do with my personality.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

'Plan and save' is judicious. "Natural savers" is spontaneous.