• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The differences between the MBTI and Jung

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is INTJ
Ni-Te-Fi-Se-Ne-Ti-Fe-Si

This is ESTJ
Te-Si-Ne-Fi-Ti-Se-Ni-Fe

Se is ESTJ's shadow function.

That's just one model though. It's not the only one, nor necessarily the "true" one.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
What is this though? Where does it come from? Sounds like something somebody created in their basement. Shadow functions? lol

Study more.

Every type has 4 function and 4 shadows of these 4 function.

This is very Ti processing of information from you. ;)

unmagic

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Study more.

Every type has 4 function and 4 shadows of these 4 function.

This is very Ti processing of information from you. ;)
Why should I study some theory that looks like voodoo magic? You're not even answering my questions.

Even if I wanted to study it, where is it studied from? Do these theories have names/sources/etc?

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Why should I study some theory that looks like voodoo magic? You're not even answering my questions.

As ESTJ (Te-Si) you should stay with clear facts, RESEARCH ABOUT IT and not invent some things like ESTP (Se-Ti) ;)

unmagic

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
As ESTJ (Te-Si) you should stay with clear facts and not invent some things like ESTP (Se-Ti) ;)
;) Mhm okay, now what am I inventing? The inventions seem like the shadow functions and the Greek letter stuff.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
;) Mhm okay, now what am I inventing? The inventions seem like the shadow functions and the Greek letter stuff.

If shadow functions doesn't exist the person above never can be INxJ (BTW the person can never be INxJ neither with ALL 8 functions) , NEITHER you can be ESTJ if you have a Se simple. :bye:

unconscious-carl-jung-quote.jpg

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It's not exactly a voodoo theory. They're called your shadow functions because they play a backseat role. Everyone uses all 8 functions, but the preference for certain functions is what determines your type.

It's more of a socionics thing that got neatly implemented into MBTI. Socionics does a decent job explaining it.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In Western type theory, it was first outlined by Beebe, then, people discovered the Socionics stack. In Beebe's theory, the eight positions are essentially set by different complexes that associate with each function. And it's all "mirroring", based on, basically, the division of reality by ego consciousness.
So we will have a preference for one mode of taking in information (S or N), one mode of making determinations of what's right (T or F), and one dominant orientation for taking in or determining (the environment [e] or our own self-reference ). One of these functions will be "dominant" (the ego's main outlook on reality), and will take the dominant orientation. The other function will then fall to a lesser, "supporting" role of adding balance, and thus take on the opposite orientation.

Type is these two functions, and they associate with the ego's main complex, and a "supporting" complex. The other six are "reflections" and "shadows" of these two; meaning collections of the "split off" opposite function and/or orientation. The inferior is what's split off of the dominant, and thus the opposite function and orientation. Likewise, the tertiary is what's split off of the auxiliary. This yields the first four (which were the only ones dealt with by most MBTI theorists), but then the reverse orientations of these are just something else further split off. That's why they're the "shadows" (And in Beebe's model, associated with shadowy archetypal complexes).

unmagic

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
All I see is a lot of words and complicated systems. What warrants all this complexity? Is this based off of reality?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All I see is a lot of words and complicated systems. What warrants all this complexity? Is this based off of reality?

I agree. The reason the mbti instrument has been so popular is that dichotomy based testing works. Evaluating type purely based on function order does not work reliably (at least on its own). I learned this through experience of developing the test on this site and reviewing hundreds of test results in detail.

Metis

And here I am on a site devoted to the fascist Carl Jung and the plagiarists and charlatans Mrs Katherine Briggs and her daughter Mrs Isabel Myers.

It's poetic justice.

But poetic justice is not enough for an attempt was made to break into my Facebook account, and we have been able to trace it back to a member of Typology Central.

Well, who?

rav3n

Without access to the IP addresses on TypoC, it wouldn't be possible to 'trace back'.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Without access to the IP addresses on TypoC, it wouldn't be possible to 'trace back'.
Looks like he made that post five years ago. The other alternative would be that he knows the person and was connected to them on Facebook. I would have been an admin at that time and have no recollection whatsoever of any communication we had with anyone at Facebook regarding such an incident and thus am skeptical of his claim.

booger_king

xSTJ probably ISTJ. :)
An xSTJ probably wouldn't get that low on Se, but an INTJ would.
So, am I some abnormal person with personality disorder? Rofl! Don't know why I seem to have the signs of an INTJ and INFJ. My result flip flop from that two when I tried MBTI test. It's just an online test though..
One thing I'm sure of is that I'm an introvert.

unmagic

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
So, am I some abnormal person with personality disorder? Rofl! Don't know why I seem to have the signs of an INTJ and INFJ. My result flip flop from that two when I tried MBTI test. It's just an online test though..
Wow wouldn't you know it? Getting low in a sensing thing isn't a reliable indicator of being an S.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp

You are ISTJ (very clear SiTe), highly organized person griping on big picture looking. (Ni,Ne) ;)

The only reason why result was unclear is because of your Si and Te were both 100%.