• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I spend a lot of time thinking about...

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
...admit it, you thought I was gonna say sex. ;)

Anyway, I've got a profile on this site, OkCupid.com, and one of the items on the profile is "I spend a lot of time thinking about..." and to me it's another great little snapshot of seeing people's type, or at least their general temperament. I browsed through a few profiles this morning because it sent me one of these "quickmatch" things, which basically means someone saw my profile and realized I'm awesome, so they gave me a high rating. Then it shows me some, so if I rate any of them highly, it tells us we have a match. But anyway, I'm reading that particular item on the profiles and seeing things like "my future, my career, finishing school" and I'm like "these are totally N types" because meanwhile mine says:

"girls, sports, my son, food, nostalgia, music" :D

I mean, not a dang thing about the future, it's all the present or a little of the past.

So how would you answer this question? And do you think it says something about your type or the way you think?

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
Hmm - unfortunately I think your post has slightly influenced my answer, but I spend a lot of time thinking about:
- potential boyfriend, food, human nature, MBTI and trying to get to the bottom of this Fe/Fi conundrum, my cat, getting another pet, money (lack of), own ineptitude, wild speculative romance, how I should really be doing something productive, sciency stuff, various scenarios with potential boyfriend... okay, sex. :D

I might leave out the potential boyfriend references (and MBTI) on a dating profile!

I think it just says that I don't usually analyse what I think enough to draw patterns... there are too many other things to think about!

Incidentally, there's no reason that thinking about the future/career couldn't also be an S thing - any driven or ambitious type would think about their future and career. It's quite a standard answer and actually comes across to me as rather uncommunicative compared to yours. Does knowing that someone thinks about their future/finishing school tell you much about them as a person?

Unless of course, "finishing school" referred to an actual finishing school! "I like to think about Miss Prudence and the order in which I lift my dinner forks." <-- clearly doesn't know a thing about finishing school. :D

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
Your thinking that it is some sort of S/N divide is way off. S types are just as motivated by future careers and school as N types.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Hmmm. Yeah, I do think that the examples you gave sound a bit SP-ish by themselves, because they're concrete and immediate, but I can definitely see those interests being in an N's profile, interspersed with other things that are a little more visceral and intangible, like theories, ideas, and, as you said, future goals. My OKCupid profile, when I last made one, had a lot of introspective and theoretical stuff, but there were probably tangible, immediate things I spent some time thinking about as well. I can't remember.

If I had to write one now, I'd say:

My perspectives and how they affect my life; which perspectives are most beneficial to me; whether or not I want to dorm in the next year or two; what field I'd like to major in and make into a career; writing; characters; fantasy worlds.

Hmmm. :D That sounds about good.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
this is exactly what it says on my okcupid profile:

I spend a lot of time thinking about

other people.

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP

I spend a lot of time thinking about

what I should be doing instead of sitting here thinking.

And sex.

narticus

MBTI Type
INTJ
I spend a lot of time thinking about. . .

Politics, Economics, and either how to bring the current system down from the outside; or how to infiltrate the system by becoming President in 2012.

And girls...

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP
I spend a lot of time thinking about. . .

Politics, Economics, and either how to bring the current system down from the outside; or how to infiltrate the system by becoming President in 2012.

And girls...

If you spend your time thinking about girls, I'm not sure you're old enough to be president in 2012.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I spend a lot of time thinking about my life, and life in general.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an S and I daydream about the future all the time.

But um if I had one of those cupid profiles it would say "I spend a lot of time thinking about everything."

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I do whatever I can to stop myself from thinking.

Having tried both, I'd say ignorance is bliss relatively livable.

Clover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I daydream more than I really think or contemplate about things, and I usually daydream about sex. But I usually die in my daydreams too, I can't figure out why. :huh:

BUT, when I do sit down and think about you know, REAL things, I usually end up having an existential crisis or something. So I try not to do that very often.

comicsgurl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Stupid crap, mostly. Which drives me nuts and makes me think I need medication. :p

Oso Mocoso

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I daydream more than I really think or contemplate about things, and I usually daydream about sex. But I usually die in my daydreams too, I can't figure out why. :huh:

If you die during the daydreams about sex, I think you might be doing it wrong.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

Wait, so you dream about being sexed to death? That's hot. :wubbie: ;)