• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Notes about each type V1.0 (and entry for best typist contest while I'm at it)

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Notice, these are not descriptions of each type, but they may contain some description. More, I intend this to be an aid to rapid typing of people. That is why I have put an emphasis on activities associated with each type. As you can see, I had more ideas about some types than others, but I intend to fully develop it as time goes on. This is as much as my attention span (which is actually quite attuned) could muster in a couple hours.

Your input is welcome.

ESTJ:

Sports talk: Where there are ESTJs, there is sports talk. That is the 1 absolute. Sports is the truest expression of extraverted thinking, where no feeling can nose its way in whatsoever. Extraverted thinkers are all about rules and metrics.

ISTJ:

Scoutmaster

Police Officer: The ISTJ is a master of noticing details (sensing of the physical environment is better in this profession than the intuition of ideas and perspectives) and inconsistencies (both with the physical environment and behavior with regards to a set of standards or rules), which makes them the archetypal police officer. They, also enjoy filling certain well defined roles more than an N or a P would.

ESTP:

Athletes, rappers, ne’er-do-wells, diagnosed with ADHD, janitors, infantrymen, construction workers

Athletics: ESTPs are natural athletes and showmen, excelling in traditional and extreme sports. In their perfect world, there would be more opportunity for professionalism in athletics. Unfortunately, only a few can cut it.

Ne’er-do-wells: that’s right folks, many ESTP type people wind up in not-so enviable places. Not exactly surprising, I suppose, that prisons aren’t as much the domain of the intuitive, feeler, or judger. The ESTP often comes with a below average intelligence level and a high propensity for thrills, which provides quick paths to criminal mischief (if not full blown crime) and drug experimentation and eventual addiction. Many wind up in prison, or working minimum wage jobs.

Military infantrymen: This is a classic – the ESTP who isn’t focused in school and tends to get in trouble, enlists in the army after high school. Many of them get the exact sort of structure and opportunity for physicality they need in this pursuit, and return home impressively matured.

ISTP:

Mechanics, foul mouths, engineers, handiman, computer programmers

Foulest Mouthed Type: The ISTP possesses the characteristic IxxP disregard for social norms, combined with a certain concreteness of expression. Their lack of social finesse can often lead them to find that people respond to them most reliably when they say something incredibly offensive, graphic, and inappropriate. The ESTP tends to be much smoother in social situations and will not break out this sort of talk until they have at least a few people who support them (like the rappers, whose lyrics are foul, but gotten away with), whereas the ISTP will unblinkingly go so far as to alienate everyone around them with a single, unfathomably grotesque sentence. The INTP has a similar propensity for shock-value, but shoots for laughs rather than awkwardness and offendedness.

Jack of all trades: ISTPs know how things work. They just do. They are the most practical people on the planet, and can be looked to for questions on most subjects, not just mechanics and engineering. Where the ISTP falls short is where the subject matter becomes dramatically less practical, for instance, personality matrices, which are almost entirely the domain of xNxx (especially I) types.

ESFJ:

Weddings: As sports are the domain of the ESTJ, weddings are that of the ESFJ, along with other important social events. Lenore Thompson notes the difference:

“Say we’re making a list of people we call every week, so the numbers are handy whenever we pick up the phone. Although it’s possible to organize the names impersonally—by alphabet, for example, or frequency of contact—most of us don’t do this. Most of us list the people we know in order of their relationship to us: family members first, then friends, then coworkers, and so on.

This, roughly speaking,l is the domain of extraverted feeling. When we use this function, we aren’t organizing data sequentially and logically, by way of principles. We’re organizing data by relatedness to ourselves. The categories of relationship we maintain in the external world—and the way we maintain them—reflect our values.”

The wedding is the perfect example to illustrate this set of ideas. Not only do we organize the wedding, giving special roles to a select group of people closest to us, and determining who else is important enough in our lives to invite, but we dedicate a great deal of fanfare to these relationships, which is where the Si comes in.

ISFJ:

Yearbook committees: The ISFJ is mainly focused on people, keeping up with the latest gossip and social happenings, and knowing who is who. Si itself is largely focused on memories and the past, and the ISFJ tends to express this function through things like school yearbooks. In a sense, this makes the ISFJ a collector like his IxTJ counterparts – but he is a collector of people and their memories, their stories rather than physical objects.

Most prude type: introverted sensors, in general, do not do well with the bizarre, the foppish, or the wet-and-wild. Chalk it up to inferior Ne. Introverted sensing would simply feel out of control to delve deeply into these domains. Many a prude parent could be correctly identified as ISFJ (the mom) and ISTJ (the dad).

INTP:

Poker player, day trader: the INTP does not care for making efforts to “fit in” to a certain social structure or follow rules and routines, no matter what the outcome. Ti-Ne is always coming up with new possibilities and new ways of seeing things, and without the freedom to try these ideas out, the INTP feels abysmally trapped. Self actualized INTPs are hard to come by because in this culture, people are not encouraged to cut their own path, and what’s more, doing so is just plain difficult and unpredictable. Most are happy enough to take the “safe route” in finding a steady job and keeping themselves in alignment with its requirements. The INTP must take a considerable risk and leap of faith in separating himself from this model and figuring out a way to survive on his wits, without the safety of a routine.

Science author, theoretical scientist: INTPs are not “hands on” or practical people. Science appeals to them, but careers in science do not tend to, as most careers in science involve much tedium with the application of the scientific process. The INTJ can handle this, as an extroverted thinker and as an introverted intuitive with an appreciation for the big picture in this sort of thing. The INTP sees tedium as tedium, and doesn’t particularly enjoy obscure details as much either. Like Albert Einstein, they are big picture thinkers who most enjoy working things out in their own minds, and the more general and overarching the better.

"Trapped": The INxP has inferior extraverted judgment. School and work environments tend to be quite abrasive to these personalities. For the INTP specifically, the problem is the social connections that must be made in order for advancement. The INTP would prefer a system based solely on merit, but even then, he is still not even an extroverted thinker, and is not particularly interested in rank or the rules and features of any corporate or bureaucratic system within which he works. While others tend to know what’s going on in terms of regulations and events, the INTP remains oblivious until the boss calls him into the office and wants to know why the slack’s been dropped.

Rogue: If the INTP can’t cut it in the job world, nor has found a way to survive such as poker playing, day trading, or freelancing, this is the proverbial type to become a roamer.. perhaps similar to the main character from Into the Wild.

Internet dweller: The INTP is the classic internet dweller type for a number of reasons. Primarily, it offers him the immense freedom he craves. Any information he could ever want is right there, at his fingertips. The real world is too fast and too slow; there is no time for the proper examination of some things, while other times the INTP is way ahead of whatever events are going on in real life. Adding to this, he tends to be isolated in real life, especially when not particularly self-actualized—he is surrounded by sensates and judgers, with whom he can begin to feel very strange and lonely. On the internet, it is more than easy to find entertainment and companionship that is right up his ally.

INTJ:

Collections: Again, the mark of the TJ, especially the IxTJ, is collections, which only makes sense considering the meticulous and impersonal nature of extraverted thinking combined with the emphasis on points of view given by introverted perception. A collection offers the ability to see every perspective of a certain concept.

While introverted sensing (Si) is more focused on collections involving popular societal mainstays (like sports memorabilia, beer bottles, scout badges, or souvenirs), however, the introverted intuitive is more likely to go a more academic route with his collections. An INTJ might hold an impressive collection of meteorites, encyclopedias, trilobite fossils, or the classic – stamps.

Religion: More INTJs than one might expect are religious. It is helpful here to compare with the INTP and see religion as a social construct rather than a set of absolute facts about reality. The INTP, of course, demands the latter. The INTJ is more of the mindset, "if it works, use it." For that reasons, INTJs may be more comfortable in churches and other events associated with organized religion. As extraverted judgers, they tend to think in terms of the prevailing culture - it simply makes a person more relevant. They almost, in fact, take social reality for granted - but not quite. The INTP on the other hand, does not do this to any extent, preferring instead to view reality in timeless, absolute terms, inclusion and relevance be damned.

This also tends to be how the INTJ deals with scientific concepts and can help to illustrate Einstein's long standing refusal to fully accept the quantum mechanical model. INTJs have less of a problem doing so, because again, the model works and that is what matters to them as extraverted thinkers.

ENTJ:

Law, political science, management, school administrator

ENFJ:

English and Drama Teachers: English teachers are a highly specific breed, and many of them also double as theatre/drama teachers. What drives this interest in literature and performance is the Ni based love of different and fascinating perspectives, guided by the dominant extraverted feeling emphasis towards people, relationships, interpersonal events, and ordinary life. What might it be like to go through a typical set of events, but as a different, intriguing personality, they wonder. How would this person respond, see things, differently? What are the different manifestations of life and human nature? In literature and drama, the NFJ finds home.

Actors: It might be worth mentioning that perhaps many actors become so outspoken due to the NFJ tendency to adopt and champion certain causes. In their examination of perspectives, they notice it possible to become a figurehead (see: INFJ)

ENTP:

Prankster, taboo breaker, contrarian

ENFP:

Random and harmless, nutty but beloved – the bizarre teacher, Ms. Frizzle-Wizzle types

INFP:

Photographers: The INFP has a knack for expression, like the ISFP, but in a less tactile way. The photograph can readily capture ideas and perspectives, even when technical ability isn’t virtuosic. In this sense, they can also make great musicians, especially in the indie genre, where technical ability is downplayed in favor of more abstract characteristics.

Poets: The INFP is the classic type of the poet. INFPs have an ability to see beauty and spirituality in the events of life like other types do not, and this is their greatest gift, provided they can channel it to the masses somehow. The ISFP is less concerned with events and ideas and more concerned with the purely physical, but neither one is black-and-white in this regard.

Spiritual mediums, caregivers: as intuitive feelers, INFPs take the interest that INTPs have in science and aim it primarily toward the big picture of the human struggle, of life and death. They tend to intuit much more to life than meets the eye, and have a distinct fascination with “the beyond” and the transcendental. This may take shape in any number of ways – they may take roles in the church, or they may simply become psychologists, trying their best to help people achieve their human and spiritual ideals.

Trapped: like the INTP, the INFP finds himself trapped at work and school. The INFP, with inferior extraverted thinking, has absolutely no appetite for “the rules” or guidelines of any institution. In any institution, participants are required to meet deadlines, fill out paperwork, know important dates and events, and know the defined procedures for performing desired tasks. This all might as well be a complete mystery to the INFP, who has no inner radar for this sort of thing whatsoever. People can easily become frustrated with the INFP in this regard, seeing them as lazy and oblivious to an extent that is borderline offensive. School teachers in particular can become quite frustrated with the INFP who will seem to hear every word of instruction for a particular assignment, and then cluelessly fumble through the execution of it, having to ask questions for guidance on aspects that everyone else found perfectly straightforward.

The other IPs are all in a similar boat (having inferior Je), but none to the extent of the INFP. The ISTP is more practical, and can find a niche within technical and mechanical areas. The ISFP is the same, but with artistic endeavors. What for the INFP? Poetry and spiritual/transcendental expression aren’t as easily appreciated within institutions as these more concrete byproducts. As for the INTP, he skirts by with minimal effort and atunement, depending heavily on the intellectual dominance provided by Ti-Ne as opposed to Fi-Ne – the INTP who appears to have slept through weeks’ worth of a class and failed to complete many assignments will get a surprisingly good grade on a test, often in part due to the fact that it had to do with things he had read about in his free time anyway.

ISFP:

Tattoo artist, tactile artwork such as painting, sculpting, and sketching.

ESFP:

Cocktail waitresses, bartenders, hair, wardrobe, and makeup stylists, ballerinas, dancers, strippers: the ESFP seems to be the type perhaps most in “flow” with physical reality and events.

INFJ:

Literature lovers, activists, Gandhi, MLK, missionaries, pastors

The figurehead: the INFJ finds opportunity in championing one or more causes. Perhaps this a mutation of the IxtJ propensity to gather collections, similar to the ISFJ’s desire to gather or “collect” personal and interpersonal memories and knowledge. In a way much analogous to the difference between an ISTJ and an INTJ’s collections, the INFJ differs from the ISFJ in that he chooses a more academic/global domain to become interested in, but which still, in keeping with the spirit of Fe, primarily involves people.

W

WALMART

I'm still not sure if this is satire or not. I presume, being an Ne user, it's a twinge of both.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
If you're an ISTP, you aren't really an Ne user.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
More theoretical descriptions?

I think it would be more interesting to get people's personal notes about each type. V2.0? :)

If you're an ISTP, you aren't really an Ne user.

YOu are the Ne user.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
I mean, I guess in some extremely vague sense you could say there is a very slight twinge of satire. Not really, though. If anything, I am unabashedly using stereotypes when we all know there are always going to be exceptions and no one should be pigeon-holed, blah blah blah. Yes, you kind of do have to take it with a grain of salt. But I think my message comes across nonetheless.

W

WALMART

What Giggly said.

Some of this is good, with concepts that run parallel to thoughts I've had, though this all seems quite caricatured for my likings. Si collect sports memorabilia while Ni collects academic pursuits? lol.

Ready for me to upgrade your firmware to 1.1? :holy:

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
Funny how "type" here would seem to correlate very closely with socio-economic background. A flaw in the model?

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
I have no idea what you are talking about. Could you be more specific?

Well occupation, likelihood of going to prison etc., are very highly correlated with socio-economic background. But here you have attempted to explain it by MBTI. So I would suggest that the explanations can't both be true, and that strong evidence exists for one but not the other.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Well occupation, likelihood of going to prison etc., are very highly correlated with socio-economic background. But here you have attempted to explain it by MBTI. So I would suggest that the explanations can't both be true, and that strong evidence exists for one but not the other.

I could see how both could be true. Let's say you're a ESTP from the projects. Both of these things can be risk factors for imprisonment. An well-off ESTP may be more likely to become one of the more self-actualized professions, but also may wind up in a ne'er-do-well role. Personally I went to a very well-off high school and I knew quite a few ESTP males who got subpar grades and tended to act out, then went off into the military and came back much more upstanding.

W

WALMART

Funny how "type" here would seem to correlate very closely with socio-economic background. A flaw in the model?

Good observation, it's something I've been thinking about and I didn't catch it here in these type descriptions. I'm not sure how to expound on the thought though...

I personally chalk it up to absent critical analysis from typists rather than inherent hang-ups to the system, people kind of broad stroking their perceptions across a spectrum of data without much true introspection. For example, immediately linking "sensor = immediate environment = inability to conceptualize = sports = prison". I think a lot of people can't get past "they're all easy to correlate so it must be true".

Kind of like how blacks are jailed in the US at an alarming rate in relation to whites. Given this data, it's easy to correlate that blacks commit more crimes than whites do, but further analysis shows some very damning evidence about the status of our justice system as a whole. The further you dig, the truer to the heart of the cause you come, rather than some surface level probing. Typology is much the same. Inherent to the descriptions are connotations that simply aren't true upon further analysis and rationale.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
There's really no lack of critical analysis, just an obvious but politically incorrect truth. ESTPs are the classic thrill-seeking type, and thrill seekers tend to get in trouble at a higher rate. That's all you need to know, QED. We shouldn't turn this into a discussion about socioeconomics. That's a copout. It is what people do when they want to sound smart for cheap, because it is politically correct and easy to type cloud-high BS that sounds like it could be intelligent. Do what I did in the OP - demonstrate your knowledge and command of the cognitive processes that make up this system. If your knowledge of them is superior to mine, I would absolutely love to hear your analysis. If you want to just take snipes and get moralistic about it, though, I'm not interested.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Also, you're the one who made the "sports = prison" comment, not me. That's pretty bigoted, jontherobot.

W

WALMART

There's really no lack of critical analysis, just an obvious but politically incorrect truth. ESTPs are the classic thrill-seeking type, and thrill seekers tend to get in trouble at a higher rate. That's all you need to know, QED. We shouldn't turn this into a discussion about socioeconomics. That's a copout. It is what people do when they want to sound smart for cheap, because it is politically correct and easy to type cloud-high BS that sounds like it could be intelligent. Do what I did in the OP - demonstrate your knowledge and command of the cognitive processes that make up this system. If your knowledge of them is superior to mine, I would absolutely love to hear your analysis. If you want to just take snipes and get moralistic about it, though, I'm not interested.

I have provided much input throughout my tenure on the site, you are welcome to research my posting history and provide critique to any claims I've made, if you so wish.

My best friend is ESTP, both a lawyer from one of the best schools in the globe and one of the most lawful persons I know. Your deductive logic is sorely lacking; I don't know what else you want to hear.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's some pretty good stuff there, but a good part of the descriptions look like wild guesses. Seems like you need to increase the your sample size for most types, specially the Fs.

That said, I rather liked the INTP description. Otoh, the ESTJ and the Feeling types descriptions were fairly poor.

"ESFJ - weddings" :huh: Right, but what about the rest of the time?

"ESTJ - sports" :thinking: My ESTJ father seems to just care about work and giving orders.

"INFJ - pastors, missionaires, activists, Gandhi" :shock: Don't they usually have uh, let's say, regular occupations?

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
I have provided much input throughout my tenure on the site, you are welcome to research my posting history and provide critique to any claims I've made, if you so wish.

Then don't post in this thread? What do I care about your tenure on this site? That's great, but it doesn't move things forward here and now.

My best friend is ESTP, both a lawyer from one of the best schools in the globe and one of the most lawful persons I know. Your deductive logic is sorely lacking; I don't know what else you want to hear.

Your logic is lacking. Rather, it is absent. What you've done is provided an anecdote, which doesn't really prove or disprove anything. You should offer a coherent functional analysis of how you've typed your friend as an ESTP and what it is about ESTPs that made this person in particular a strong candidate for the role of a lawyer, especially if you see him as the rule and not the exception, because as I've already made plain, I am stereotyping and there is ample room for exception.

What I'm getting at is this: when we read type descriptions, we seldom if ever see "lawyer" as one of the common professions for ESTP. To use this system at all requires generalities - just because you can think of exceptions doesn't disprove anything.