• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enthusiasm: Do you like it? Type related?

Little_Sticks

What's your take on enthusiasm? Is it bad? Is it good? How do different types use it? Do some types not like it at all?

go go go

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Absolutely I love it. Infact, it annoys me endlessly when people are stoic and apathetic at things like concerts.

Apathy really annoys the shit out of me. Showing enthusiasm is a beautiful thing, and I love it and I love seeing it in others. It wears a lot better on people than indifference.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
There are people who can "pour cold water on my burning enthusiasm."

I don't talk to these people very often.

Otherwise I don't really care if someone is apathetic. Usually means they're in the wrong place.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I appreciate passion in all forms. "Enthusiasm" generally rings false with me.
With that said: An excess of "passion" or "enthusiasm" taxes my introversion.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Could you equate enthusiasm to inspiration? The first presupposes the second though. Of course an "inspiration" in my mind is more of an insight and that insight isn't always something I care to act upon. Enthusiasm from others is sometimes needed to coerce me, but I can be rather hard to sway when someone is forcing their excitement onto me.

As for enthusiasm toward an idea: I find myself withdrawing and reflecting instead of wishing to share it or spread whatever it may be. It is something profound that keeps me grounded and almost contents and assures me of my path. I use insights as a gauge on whether or not I am following a right course of action, as I find it a leap of logic that actually pans out without the laborious steps. Taking that inch and making it a mile.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I think it's good. I try and emulate it because it shows that I care. I think the same reasoning applies to others, though it's probably more natural and less thought-out for more extroverted types. It's hard to keep up, though. Sometimes I wish people would take my word for it, even when I'm not outwardly or obviously enthusiastic.

gromit

likes this
For the most part I like it. People doing things they really enjoy or care about, that positive energy can be contagious - in a good way.

I have been annoyed by certain people's enthusiasm. Can't quite place my finger on why.

Beorn

Permabanned
What's your take on enthusiasm? Is it bad? Is it good? How do different types use it? Do some types not like it at all?

go go go

Unsure-Larry-David.gif

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Real, true, genuine enthusiasm I am a fan of. When someone is going overboard and it just reeks of being fake I don't like it.

For the most part, I'm not a very excitable person. However, there are a handful of things that will shatter my calm and collected manner and manage to bring out my enthusiastic side. :)

wolfy

awsm
I like it in others and find it an attractive trait. I can be excitable and like when others are a catalyst for that.

Little_Sticks

For the most part I like it. People doing things they really enjoy or care about, that positive energy can be contagious - in a good way.

I have been annoyed by certain people's enthusiasm. Can't quite place my finger on why.

If you remember why, please post it here.

Real, true, genuine enthusiasm I am a fan of. When someone is going overboard and it just reeks of being fake I don't like it.

Would you want to provide an example?

Absolutely I love it. Infact, it annoys me endlessly when people are stoic and apathetic at things like concerts.

How do you mean? I've always found it kind of annoying when people go on stage and expect people to yell and scream and dance for them. Introverts of all types seem to share the same sentiment as me, but in different degrees. For example, I know the concept for Jung's Fi can be seen as stoic and apathetic (superficially) when internally it's anything but that. But maybe that's not exactly what you mean.

There are people who can "pour cold water on my burning enthusiasm."

I don't talk to these people very often.

I imagine the feeling is mutual. :D

With that said: An excess of "passion" or "enthusiasm" taxes my introversion.

That's definitely true for me as well.

Could you equate enthusiasm to inspiration? The first presupposes the second though.

Of course you could, but I wouldn't. Inspiration can be one thing, but adding enthusiasm on top of it is like asserting a belief about inspiration.

Of course an "inspiration" in my mind is more of an insight and that insight isn't always something I care to act upon. Enthusiasm from others is sometimes needed to coerce me, but I can be rather hard to sway when someone is forcing their excitement onto me.

Oh, I think we thought the same thing. :)

As for enthusiasm toward an idea: I find myself withdrawing and reflecting instead of wishing to share it or spread whatever it may be. It is something profound that keeps me grounded and almost contents and assures me of my path. I use insights as a gauge on whether or not I am following a right course of action, as I find it a leap of logic that actually pans out without the laborious steps. Taking that inch and making it a mile.

Is that like an introverted enthusiasm?

I think it's good. I try and emulate it because it shows that I care. I think the same reasoning applies to others, though it's probably more natural and less thought-out for more extroverted types. It's hard to keep up, though. Sometimes I wish people would take my word for it, even when I'm not outwardly or obviously enthusiastic.

Introverts seem to get the shit end of the stick when it comes to the reciprocal expectations of extroverts. :(

heh...curb your enthusiasm.

I like it in others and find it an attractive trait. I can be excitable and like when others are a catalyst for that.

Would you want to describe the excitement it gives?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For me it depends entirely on context. If there is some crazy random incident that stimulates dynamic ideas and progressive development, then by all means approach it with fully tapped enthusiasm. If it's something stupid though, I don't believe in preserving the illusion of optimism. We can however make changes to the currents to ensure that in the future the stupidity will divert itself in the right direction. Thar way, in the future, there will be something worth being optimistic and excited about.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've been told I'm very enthusiastic. And I cannot stand people who are 'killjoys'. They are party-poopers (I really don't understand why) although think it might have something to do with a combination of attempting to own and 'claiming of power' over others. (bastards) Although they never mention this. Shameless fools.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Introverts seem to get the shit end of the stick when it comes to the reciprocal expectations of extroverts.

It ain't so bad. I wouldn't really call it a shit end of the stick so much as it is a minor inconvenience. And it's only inconvenient when I'm being pressured or feel obligated to show outward enthusiasm in situations where I'm just as interested and engaged as everyone else, but I just express that interest differently.

It's become a less common occurrence as I've adjusted my reactions to show people that I am as interested as they are in something.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
How do you mean? I've always found it kind of annoying when people go on stage and expect people to yell and scream and dance for them. Introverts of all types seem to share the same sentiment as me, but in different degrees. For example, I know the concept for Jung's Fi can be seen as stoic and apathetic (superficially) when internally it's anything but that. But maybe that's not exactly what you mean.

I don't mean the Spock sort of stoic.. where that's just the way they are. But what I DO mean is.. you go to a concert for, say, a rock band. Generally, there is yelling, and cheering, and an occasional mosh pit. If everyone just stood there silently and listened to the music the way they listened to it in a vehicle or with headphones on an airplane, it'd be drab and there'd be no real point to the concert. Musicians generally want to see people excited to see them, and know that their music is making an impact big enough for people to cheer in the first place. You go to concerts for the experience.. every person not participating sort of takes away from that experience. If it isn't your thing, that's fine, but why go see it live? Why not watch it on TV or on youtube, or just listen to the album and support them that way? I've seen people even refuse to *clap* during a concert. They don't respond, move, clap, smile, nothing. It's so drab. It's like they caught the flu after they bought the tickets and they'll be damned if they're going to waste money, miserable or not.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Be enthusiastic or not, whatever you feel. I don't mind your style unless you encourage others to act like you. It's equally grating to be told to be more enthusiastic and to be told not to get excited.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't mind it in small doses as long as they don't get it on me. :dry:

Edit: Oh yes, this:
Be enthusiastic or not, whatever you feel. I don't mind your style unless you encourage others to act like you. It's equally grating to be told to be more enthusiastic and to be told not to get excited.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As for enthusiasm toward an idea: I find myself withdrawing and reflecting instead of wishing to share it or spread whatever it may be.

This is a good point. One can be very passionate or enthused about something without letting it show. The other way around, too: one can express lots of enthusiasm over something while still being thoughtful and careful about it inside. What I can stand least of all is when someone takes expressed excitement to mean one has stopped thinking critically. But then, what do we know outside of how we see someone acting?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I'm in agreement with many people here. Enthusiasm is a great quality in people.

Apathy really annoys the shit out of me. Showing enthusiasm is a beautiful thing, and I love it and I love seeing it in others. It wears a lot better on people than indifference.

Hmm...I don't speak for all introverts, but I don't always show my enthusiasm because I typically don't have that much or I do not like to show it. It's a bit odd, but I'm not an easily excitable person. I just don't go through life with as much passion as others. There isn't much I can do about it.