• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enthusiasm: Do you like it? Type related?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's very good. I don't think it's type related.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What's your take on enthusiasm? Is it bad? Is it good? How do different types use it? Do some types not like it at all?

go go go

Enthusiasm is generally good. I like being around enthusiastic people as long as it's sincere enthusiasm and it's not overrdone enthusiasm.

I am very enthusiastic on the inside but I'm not the most outwardly expressive of my enthusiasm. I don't think I'm all that stoic but I have been told by a few people to let my enthusiasm show more. I resent it when people tell me to express enthusiasm more and doing so would mean going beyond my comfort zone and acting like someone I'm not.

I think almost everyone likes some degree of enthusiasm.
Extraverts, especially dominant Fe are probably the most outwardly enthusiastic.
The least outwardly enthusiastic I'm guessing are IXTX types, especially IXTJ because they aren't Fe users either.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm in agreement with many people here. Enthusiasm is a great quality in people.

Hmm...I don't speak for all introverts, but I don't always show my enthusiasm because I typically don't have that much or I do not like to show it. It's a bit odd, but I'm not an easily excitable person. I just don't go through life with as much passion as others. There isn't much I can do about it.

I find there to be a distinct difference between indifference and apathy and introversion.. Though, admittedly, there are times where introverts blur those lines and I cannot tolerate long spells with them as a result.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you guys lived in Brazil, you'd end up hating it.

Anyways, depends on the frequency, intensity, noise level, and also how justified is the enthusiasm. If you behave like you've won the lottery every single day, that's sure gonna annoy me.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
well, like any of these threads, "it depends" is the correct answer.

As an isolated trait, it's not my favorite. When I think of "enthusiasm" I think of these really excited people with lots of "get up and go". That's irritating on a lot of levels.

But then we get onto the topic of "define enthusiasm"- someone mentioned the word "passion"- I suppose you can be a very serious person with a lot of interest in one certain subject- which could translate to enthusiasm...

I'm a dabbler, sometimes I can get really excited about something for five minutes. And then be apathetic about the same thing for the rest of my lifetime. So I have this interest/disinterest thing going on. (Probably in the middle of the bell curve.(Yes, suddenly there is a bell curve of enthusiasm. :pedantic:)

Which leads to all these dynamics that lead one to conclude that most people are enthusiastic on some level.

Obviously I don't find joy in being around really depressed and flat people. But that kind of "lack of enthusiasm" needs help.

If someone is *really* enthusiastic about life as a character trait, I generally find it overwhelming. Possibly obnoxious or fake.

(hmm.. actually, in comparison to the other posts in this thread, I'm probably towards the left inthe bell curve. why am I always trying to be in the middle? :/)

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Enthusiasm? Do I like it?

YES! :D:happy2::yay::rotfl::sage::headphne::soapbox::cheers::party2::bunnyd:

Type related? Possibly, but probably not much.

Little_Sticks

I don't mean the Spock sort of stoic.. where that's just the way they are. But what I DO mean is.. you go to a concert for, say, a rock band. Generally, there is yelling, and cheering, and an occasional mosh pit. If everyone just stood there silently and listened to the music the way they listened to it in a vehicle or with headphones on an airplane, it'd be drab and there'd be no real point to the concert. Musicians generally want to see people excited to see them, and know that their music is making an impact big enough for people to cheer in the first place. You go to concerts for the experience.. every person not participating sort of takes away from that experience. If it isn't your thing, that's fine, but why go see it live? Why not watch it on TV or on youtube, or just listen to the album and support them that way? I've seen people even refuse to *clap* during a concert. They don't respond, move, clap, smile, nothing. It's so drab. It's like they caught the flu after they bought the tickets and they'll be damned if they're going to waste money, miserable or not.

The thing is, I like concerts/festivals. All the stuff happening around can be fun and the food/alcohol is fun. But I have terrible motor coordination; dancing feels completely unnatural to me. And I don't really like yelling or screaming just because someone wants me to. I figure it's alright anyway, since most people are doing all that. I don't have a problem with clapping, but it's always nice when the music was so well played I actually want to clap. I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd recently and they were surprisingly good. I wanted to clap. And nothing really compares to seeing a band live on a big stage with the audio/lighting/electrical system (and even meeting them if you are a step-relative of the promoter :D) versus seeing it on youtube or listening to a song...

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It depends. I don't like forced Fe enthusiasm. You know, when assholes are like "oh come on, smile." I really hate when strange men say that to me. I want to stab them in the face with a fork.

Genuine enthusiasm is awesome, though. It's good to have passion.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The thing is, I like concerts/festivals. All the stuff happening around can be fun and the food/alcohol is fun. But I have terrible motor coordination; dancing feels completely unnatural to me. And I don't really like yelling or screaming just because someone wants me to. I figure it's alright anyway, since most people are doing all that. I don't have a problem with clapping, but it's always nice when the music was so well played I actually want to clap. I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd recently and they were surprisingly good. I wanted to clap. And nothing really compares to seeing a band live on a big stage with the audio/lighting/electrical system (and even meeting them if you are a step-relative of the promoter :D) versus seeing it on youtube or listening to a song...

You're SURPRISED that Lynard Skynard were good?

Where are you from?

Tabula

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I love enthusiasm, and enthusiastic, excited, passionate people; they tend to bring it out in me, which is very much appreciated. :)

I don't understand why this would be type-related, to be honest. Maybe the ways in which enthusiasm is expressed (or not) and taken to, and the difference in those things prompting an enthusiastic response could be type-related, though. I'd think IxTxs would be less-inclined to the enthusiasm of the bouncing-off-the-walls, giddy excitement variety. I dunno.

Little_Sticks

You're SURPRISED that Lynard Skynard were good?

Where are you from?

I don't really like grung/metal/alternative/punk/rap rock that seems to dominate now. I guess that means I like Blues Rock or something, which kind of seems dead in the music industry. So I was pleasantly surprised to hear them play and not only that, but they played the songs very well. Some bands show up drinking and play offkey or they play drunk and sound like shit. But they were quite lucid backstage. They were really having fun.

Florida?

Nicki

Retired
It irritates me. Though I hate people who are a bore to be around.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't really like grung/metal/alternative/punk/rap rock that seems to dominate now. I guess that means I like Blues Rock or something, which kind of seems dead in the music industry. So I was pleasantly surprised to hear them play and not only that, but they played the songs very well. Some bands show up drinking and play offkey or they play drunk and sound like shit. But they were quite lucid backstage. They were really having fun.

Florida?

I'm just curious. I'm from the South, I saw them play in North Carolina in the 90s, and it tends to be understood by anyone who would even venture to go see Lynard Skynard what an epic band they really are, I mean there's a reason why people in bars scream "Free Bird" and hold up lighters.

I've always liked "Simple Man" and "The Ballad of Curtis Lowe" a lot.

I asked where you were from because I'd be surprised if a Southerner was surprised, but more understanding if you're from California or Ohio and have a knee-jerk response to presume all Southern Rock is crap-ola.

I love classic rock. I wonder if I'm older than you, but this is actually my parents generations music, not even mine. I just grew up hearing it. Didn't you?

Little_Sticks

I'm just curious. I'm from the South, I saw them play in North Carolina in the 90s, and it tends to be understood by anyone who would even venture to go see Lynard Skynard what an epic band they really are, I mean there's a reason why people in bars scream "Free Bird" and hold up lighters.

I've always liked "Simple Man" and "The Ballad of Curtis Lowe" a lot.

I asked where you were from because I'd be surprised if a Southerner was surprised, but more understanding if you're from California or Ohio and have a knee-jerk response to presume all Southern Rock is crap-ola.

I love classic rock. I wonder if I'm older than you, but this is actually my parents generations music, not even mine. I just grew up hearing it. Didn't you?

Nope. :( My generation had Metallica, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson (I do like Smells Like Children), Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Pearl Jam, Blink 182, Green Day, etc. Some of the punk bands have some nice guitar riffs, but then they ruin it by shouting instead of singing...lol.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Nope. :( My generation had Metallica, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson (I do like Smells Like Children), Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Pearl Jam, Blink 182, Green Day, etc. Some of the punk bands have some nice guitar riffs, but then they ruin it by shouting instead of singing...lol.

You don't like any new music? I believe we're the same age, you might be a couple years older perhaps, and I still like plenty of new music.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Wait...are you saying that you were a little kid in the 90s?

Oh nevermind. You are younger than me.

I actually mostly heard 80s music in my childhood. I wasn't even thought of in 1973, son, but even when I was a teenager in the 90s so many of my friends, and my friends parents, listened to 70s guitar rock and classic rock, and I know a guy who grew up in California who is five years younger than me who also like classic rock, though I'm not clear if he grew up with Southern Rock, I think maybe I pointed him more in that direction a time or two.

I would think in Florida, even if you're about ten years younger than me, you still would have heard Southern Rock in the 90s.

No?

Little_Sticks

You don't like any new music? I believe we're the same age, you might be a couple years older perhaps, and I still like plenty of new music.

I liked the electronic stuff from Pretty Hate Machine. In terms of new, not much. I liked Halfaxa from Grimes. I like Bjork. Some music from Schiller is really good too. Koan, just Koan, is another band I like. I think there's something about electronic music that I really like that goes well with southern rock. Oh yeah, Aphex Twin is one of my favorite electronic artists.

Wait...are you saying that you were a little kid in the 90s?

Oh nevermind. You are younger than me.

I'm in my twenties. I don't want to be any more specific. :D

I actually mostly heard 80s music in my childhood. I wasn't even thought of in 1973, son, but even when I was a teenager in the 90s so many of my friends, and my friends parents, listened to 70s guitar rock and classic rock, and I know a guy who grew up in California who is five years younger than me who also like classic rock, though I'm not clear if he grew up with Southern Rock, I think maybe I pointed him more in that direction a time or two.

I would think in Florida, even if you're about ten years younger than me, you still would have heard Southern Rock in the 90s.

No?

Nope. :( It might depend on where you live, but there are a lot of immigrants and poor black people around here. It was mostly gangster rap that people were into. You think it would be the other way around, but just look at how Florida votes every election; it's always split. Florida also tends to be a customer service state, so a lot of people looking for work would pour into here before the recession and now that's a large part of the culture. There's really no south anymore, at least not in the redneck sense. Heh, actually...the guy who ran the concert was doing events to advertise at local bars and restaurants; and at one restaurant after about 10pm, everybody would leave the bar that listened to country music and hordes of black people would pour in and listen to rap. That's kind of how Florida is, I guess.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I liked the electronic stuff from Pretty Hate Machine. In terms of new, not much. I liked Halfaxa from Grimes. I like Bjork. Some music from Schiller is really good too. Koan, just Koan, is another band I like. I think there's something about electronic music that I really like that goes well with southern rock. Oh yeah, Aphex Twin is one of my favorite electronic artists.

Oh I like people like Bat For Lashes, Hurts, M.I.A., Florence and the Machine, and I even like certain songs from artists like Taylor Swift and Beyonce. Panic! At the Disco is one of the best more recent pop groups (I really think pop and hip hop have gone to hell, I like very little new hip hop after about 2000-2005) ....I even like that song that's like "Ho Hey" (I was meant for you, you were meant for me, SWEETHEART) and um...I really liked "Somebody I Used to Know" last year.

I like plenty of new music, some groups more than others.

I'm in my twenties. I don't want to be any more specific. :D

Me neither. I never say my exact age because I don't want people tracking me down, besides who cares how old I am.

Nope. :( It might depend on where you live, but there are a lot of immigrants and poor black people around here. It was mostly gangster rap that people were into. You think it would be the other way around, but just look at how Florida votes every election; it's always split. Florida also tends to be a customer service state, so a lot of people looking for work would pour into here before the recession and now that's a large part of the culture. There's really no south anymore, at least not in the redneck sense. Heh, actually...the guy who ran the concert was doing events to advertise at local bars and restaurants; and at one restaurant after about 10pm, everybody would leave the bar that listened to country music and hordes of black people would pour in and listen to rap. That's kind of how Florida is, I guess.

Hmmm. yeah I've always heard Florida referred to as a white trash state, outside of places like Miami where there is the upscale and gay population in South Beach and the Cubans everywhere else. My parents lived in West Florida before I was born, that's where I was allegedly conceived, but I haven't spent a huge amount of time there.

I've even heard people say Florida isn't really the South though it's one of the most Southern (geographical) states.

West Virginia used to be Virginia before the Civil War, and my family has lived in Virginia/NC since like the 1600-1700s as far as I know, seeing as they are from the protestant Irish wave, or Scots-Irish, which was a good 200 years before the Catholic Irish, plus German, and then Native American on my maternal great-grandmother's side.

My family is truly Southern, my mom talks like Loretta Lynn and was raised in a rural part of NC, in Hawaii for a few years when my grandfather was stationed there, and then in a rural part of WV, only moving closer to the ...ah... city when she was almost old enough to graduate high school.

Like her, I grew up between WV and NC as well, but had the benefit of my family now having more money and property, and being closer to the major cities.

Still, nearly everyone I knew in NC listened to classic rock in the 90s, even my BFFs dad who is like Japanese American.

Ofc there's always country and rap music and blues and so forth, I guess it depends on who you know.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

I also don't know how much you've traveled to other Southern states, but there are black people there, too; Atlanta is actually now predominantly African American, and I went to college in WV at a historically black university.

There are more African American people in the South then there are in places like the MidWest, but nobody ever talks about that, for some reason, I've always found lingering ideas about the South moderately offensive, even the two years I lived in a tiny town on the border of Virginia next to Tennessee because my grandpa was working on some project there, my best friends were one blonde girl, one girl who was the daughter of an immigrant doctor from India, and an African American girl whose father was actually from Africa and was a college professor.

That's not what this conversation is about, but I'd like to correct any weird ideas you may have, because of my implication that everyone listened to Southern Rock when I was growing up; they did.

But as I say, a lot of people tell me Florida isn't the real South and never was, so that may have something to do with it. It may be more of a touristy state like Nevada.

Rache

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I appreciate it especially in group settings because you always need someone ra-ra in any group outings/events.
I find it hard to express enthusiasm even when I feel it though. I feel like I sound fake even to myself.