• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The American Delusion Of Personal Interpretation

Mole

Permabanned
The invention of the printing press in 1440 led to the personal interpretation of the Bible and protestantism.

And protestantism colonised the US with personal interpretation.

And personal interpretation is now the default position of the US.

And so we have here the personal interpretation of personality using mbti.

The scientific measurement of personality is called Psychometrics. And we only have to read a little way into Psychometrics to discover that the personal interpretation of personality is a delusion.

And worse, the personal interpretation of personality through mbti is a group delusion.

And just when it seems things couldn't get worse, they do, and the personal interpretation of personality is an American delusion which they are foisting on the rest of the world.

W

WALMART

inb4lock

It's okay that you don't have a mind to study anything other than the printing press, Victor. We don't judge.

Mole

Permabanned
Understanding Media

inb4lock

It's okay that you don't have a mind to study anything other than the printing press, Victor. We don't judge.

I am interested in understanding all media.

As I write we are experiencing the interaction of two media - the printing press of 1440 and the electric telegraph of 1840.

Print, though, is now the content of the electric media. For instance, print in now the content of the electric print with which I am now typing.

And so books are now the content of the electric media.

This has far reaching effects. As books created the literate individual, while the electric media create the electric tribe in the global village.

It's nice, dear robot, that you are non-judgemental, but it would be nicer if you started to think. You might start with, "Understanding Media", by Marshall McLuhan.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Subjectivity is delusional? Do tell.

And this was hardly created in the U.S. It actually tends to be Western culture that wants to box in things, though some Eastern like Confucianism are more rigid, it's actually a feature of the West to believe in some black and white namable reality.

Mole

Permabanned
Damn Americans! ;)

Americans have a disproportionate influence on the world because they have the biggest economy in the world and own, control and print the Reserve Currency of the World.

And as well the Americans have the greatest propaganda system the world has ever seen, started by Edward Bernays and his book called, "Propaganda".

And an article of faith of America is personal interpretation. It started with the personal interpretation of the Bible and is now the default position of American individualism.

How lucky you are to have me to point these things out for you.

Mole

Permabanned
Subjectivity is delusional? Do tell.

And this was hardly created in the U.S. It actually tends to be Western culture that wants to box in things, though some Eastern like Confucianism are more rigid, it's actually a feature of the West to believe in some black and white namable reality.

Yes, dear Marmotini, personal interpretation was not created in the US. Personal interpretation was created in Europe with the printing of the first book, the Bible. And this led to the personal interpretation of the Bible and protestantism. And protestantism colonised America and brought personal interpretation to America, where it is now taken for granted and has a sacred status.

Yes, personal interpretation is the sacred cow of America.

And of course this is changing with the advent of the electronic media and the creation of electronic tribalism, based on etribal feeling and etribal interpretation.

Yes, personal interpretation is now the content of etribal interpretation.

Look, the etribe of Typology Central is now talking about personal interpretation.

Personal interpretation is now the content of etribal interpretation.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Victor are you objecting to how individualistic Americans are?

I mean I agree that the Bible can be interpreted in some really weird ways, and it's usually interpreted better by educated people for its actual meaning, and I can tell you flatly that I really didn't understand some concepts in the New Testament without studying Taoism and Zen Buddhism.

However, there are interpretations of religions in other countries that are different, it's not like the U.S. is the only place with different sects of Christianity.

I'm sure you've heard of the different groups of Muslims, and know that there's a difference between Buddhists and Zen Buddhists, and then the different groups which exist inside of those interpretations.

I think you may have made an error in reasoning, Victor.

Unless you're complaining that in the U.S. people deviate from what you consider the supreme ideal of Western philosophical logic.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, dear Marmotini, personal interpretation was not created in the US. Personal interpretation was created in Europe with the printing of the first book, the Bible. And this led to the personal interpretation of the Bible and protestantism. And protestantism colonised America and brought personal interpretation to America, where it is now taken for granted and has a sacred status.

Yes, personal interpretation is the sacred cow of America.

And of course this is changing with the advent of the electronic media and the creation of electronic tribalism, based on etribal feeling and etribal interpretation.

Yes, personal interpretation is now the content of etribal interpretation.

Look, the etribe of Typology Central is now talking about personal interpretation.

Personal interpretation is now the content of etribal interpretation.

Do you love collectivism? Are you saying there should be a moral authority?

Mole

Permabanned
Do you love collectivism? Are you saying there should be a moral authority?

I myself am a literate individual and so I regard electronic tribalism with some misgivings, even alarm.

For instance, when traditional tribal peoples are given mobile phones, it piles electronic tribalism onto traditional tribalism, and it drives them into a frenzy.

We can see this frenzy expressed in violence today in the tribes of the Middle East, Africa and parts of Asia.

Fortunately for us the antidote to traditional and electronic tribalism is literacy.

And so we are protected from our own tribal frenzy by universal literacy.

But those people with only a spoken culture, that is, those who are illiterate, and not protected by literate individualism, descend into violence, barbarity and terrorism.

Little_Sticks

The invention of the printing press in 1440 led to the personal interpretation of the Bible and protestantism.

And protestantism colonised the US with personal interpretation.

And personal interpretation is now the default position of the US.

And so we have here the personal interpretation of personality using mbti.

The scientific measurement of personality is called Psychometrics. And we only have to read a little way into Psychometrics to discover that the personal interpretation of personality is a delusion.

And worse, the personal interpretation of personality through mbti is a group delusion.

And just when it seems things couldn't get worse, they do, and the personal interpretation of personality is an American delusion which they are foisting on the rest of the world.

Science explains the how, but not the why; and the how is rather empty and meaningless, without the why.
Science then can't fill the spiritual nature of our existence, which happens to involve personality.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Isn't personal interpretation a stage in literacy and scientific method? People make their own observations, then test them, either alone or with the help of others. If there was no personal interpretation, all of our knowledge would be tied to authority, which isn't a good basis for knowledge. So it seems to me that it's contradictory to derogate personal interpretation and advocate literacy.

Mole

Permabanned
Science then can't fill the spiritual nature of our existence, which happens to involve personality.

Mbti purports to measure personality, but mbti doesn't give a reliable and valid measure of personality, rather mbti is an American cult, and part of the New Age spirituality.

Mole

Permabanned
Define "personal interpretation".

Prior to the printing press in 1440 we lived in a spoken culture and so the Bible was read aloud in church.

After the printing press we developed universal literacy and we read the Bible alone.

So in our spoken culture the bible was interpreted by the church. And this interpretation was held by all the faithful.

And in our literate culture the bible was read alone by the individual and the individual interpreted the bible for themselves. And so there were many interpretations, and as many as 10,000 protestant sects.

So personal interpretation means the bible means what I want it to mean.

But after more than 150 years of critical biblical scholarship we know the bible consists of many documents from many times and can't be understood without knowing the context of the times. This makes nonsense of the literate protestant claim of personal interpretation.

So personal interpretation of the bible has the same validity and reliability as the personal interpretation of astrology, or the personal interpretation of mbti.

Mole

Permabanned
Isn't personal interpretation a stage in literacy and scientific method? People make their own observations, then test them, either alone or with the help of others. If there was no personal interpretation, all of our knowledge would be tied to authority, which isn't a good basis for knowledge. So it seems to me that it's contradictory to derogate personal interpretation and advocate literacy.

Science regards personal interpretation as merely anecdotal and of no scientific validity.

And secondly, personal interpretation arose from literacy and reading the bible alone.