• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you use this site?

What's your primary motivation for using this website?

• Total voters

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So how do you use this site? I use it to understand myself first, then others, and sometimes for intelligent discussion of ideas. I get the feeling the way I use it is a bit different from other people. I think other people are more into socializing and understanding other people first, because they have themselves already figured out. I do socialize, but off the internet. I wonder if that's off putting? It seems reasonable to do socializing in real life and talk about typology on a typology website, and use yourself as the subject since you know yourself better than you can presume to know anyone else. I hesitate to type other people for that reason- I doubt I can know them well enough to accurately type them in most cases. Am I wrong to use the website in this way? Does it make me look narcissistic? Anyway, that's my motivation for asking the question. Entirely personal and ego centered. But also considering other people's feelings because I don't want to be annoying. I don't want to look self centered. If I find out most people use it differently and why, and I agree it's a better perspective, I'll adopt it and (hopefully) be more likable.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Huh... I think I just like it because the people on this site generally have a different perspective from what I'm used to. I'm not really sure what I actually use it for, though. Perhaps seeing different perspectives in an atmosphere that doesn't lead to me getting extremely pissed off? Yeah, I think that puts it nicely.

If nothing else, this site seems relatively well moderated. Nowhere else has as pleasant of an atmosphere when differing opinions clash.

I really haven't used it for anything seriously MBTI (or typology) related for quite a while now, but because of the atmosphere of the site, and the other discussions which go on, I can't bring myself to leave.

Edit: I guess I kind of use it like a social networking site as well.

Last edited:

I use it primarily as a social networking website, to be honest. Type discussion is a secondary purpose, I guess.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Nowadays? When I am bored and type "ty" because of some some reflex into Google Chrome and it does autocompletion, I take a look. I go on "Today's posts" and look if there is any interesting thread; if yes I take a quick look, if not I go away.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
When I first came here I used it to understand myself better and then others, and for intellectual discussion. Nowadays I use it to socialize a little bit, to waste time when I'm bored, but more than anything as an outlet for rants, thoughts, and reflection. For that reason, I've been thinking of moving my blog to Live Journal or something and leaving the forum, or at least weaning myself off of it.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I use it the same way an ant uses a trowel.:wink:

You walk on it and build your home underneath it? Surely you don't use it in the same way a fish uses a bicycle.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Everyone is like my imaginary friend, whether they know it or not. <3

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For those of you who use it to socialize, what is the approximate proportion of time spent socializing online to off the computer?

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
For those of you who use it to socialize, what is the approximate proportion of time spent socializing online to off the computer?

Can't say that I socialize so much as read and watch, but I spend a good amount hanging out with friends irl.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I came here first to understand others... then I learned a lot about myself... now I come here mainly for pleasing intelligent discussion and socializing, but I still definitely bring my interpersonal conflicts to the board for help with understanding, and continue seeking to understand myself better via typology theory - I tend to gather information elsewhere and process it here.

In terms of socializing, I work closely with about 6-10 of the same people 5/7 days a week, and usually spend the rest of the day and weekends with my family, boyfriend, and family friends, so I spend a lot of time face-to-face with people. I love that, but I also like to "socialize" here as downtime because it's low key and low pressure - there are still people I like and interesting topics, but not all the hustle-bustle of personal interaction. I can choose if and when to interact.

To be honest, I don't pay attention to what most members are here for, not in terms of individual analysis. Since it's a completely optional community, I don't really expect anything out of anyone here beyond basic human consideration. There are certain users I enjoy in particular, and those tend to be people who have been here for a while and whom I have a history of good discussion with, especially if it has been at a more personal level. And then there is a very small handful of people who tend to tick me off, generally because they ignite unpleasant conflict (which is quite different from being raw or bold). But in general, I am positive-neutral on most people, have a vague "concept" of them, enjoy discussing with them on topics we're mutually interested in, and don't really think about them much beyond that.

:shrug:

@greenfairy, you've never struck me as particularly egocentric. When I think of you, I think pretty sparkly green fairy avatar, undecided over INTP, INFJ, etc., and a fairly regular user. You strike me as intelligent and articulate.

Mole

Permabanned
To tune into the vibe of the electronic tribe in the global village.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I came here first to understand others... then I learned a lot about myself... now I come here mainly for pleasing intelligent discussion and socializing, but I still definitely bring my interpersonal conflicts to the board for help with understanding, and continue seeking to understand myself better via typology theory - I tend to gather information elsewhere and process it here.

In terms of socializing, I work closely with about 6-10 of the same people 5/7 days a week, and usually spend the rest of the day and weekends with my family, boyfriend, and family friends, so I spend a lot of time face-to-face with people. I love that, but I also like to "socialize" here as downtime because it's low key and low pressure - there are still people I like and interesting topics, but not all the hustle-bustle of personal interaction. I can choose if and when to interact.

To be honest, I don't pay attention to what most members are here for, not in terms of individual analysis. Since it's a completely optional community, I don't really expect anything out of anyone here beyond basic human consideration. There are certain users I enjoy in particular, and those tend to be people who have been here for a while and whom I have a history of good discussion with, especially if it has been at a more personal level. And then there is a very small handful of people who tend to tick me off, generally because they ignite unpleasant conflict (which is quite different from being raw or bold). But in general, I am positive-neutral on most people, have a vague "concept" of them, enjoy discussing with them on topics we're mutually interested in, and don't really think about them much beyond that.

:shrug:
Nice in depth answer. I seem to find ENFP perspectives particularly enlightening.

@greenfairy, you've never struck me as particularly egocentric. When I think of you, I think pretty sparkly green fairy avatar, undecided over INTP, INFJ, etc., and a fairly regular user. You strike me as intelligent and articulate.
Thanks! :D

I'm modifying my outlook based on all these answers, and because I've been thinking. I think I had a narrow idea of socializing.

Little_Sticks

What's your primary motivation for using this website?

The people I know in real life have little to no interest in meta-discussions. This place is like a cake for anyone that wants to talk about or express such thoughts.

Everyone is like my imaginary friend, whether they know it or not. <3

Awesome. :)

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"intelligent" discussion. But lol, discussions have a tendency to spiral. So I know my limits.

But, to understand myself, the first thing is to understand others.

Mole

Permabanned
The Abstract and the Concrete

The people I know in real life have little to no interest in meta-discussions. This place is like a cake for anyone that wants to talk about or express such thoughts.
Awesome. :)

A meta discussion is a discussion about a discussion.

So a meta discussion is an abstract discussion.

And abstraction is powerful because it covers many concrete instances.

However the most interesting thing is the relationship between the abstract and the concrete.

MurkLurk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Currently I use it mostly for research on fictional character's personality types