• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you use this site?

What's your primary motivation for using this website?

• Total voters

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ime, the best way to understand typology on a practical level is by interacting with a handful of people that seem to be adequately typed, so that you get a feel of the recurrent characteristics.

That said, socializing/learning typology/understanding others are ideally interconnected, so when people only use the forum to ask questions about themselves and/or the people that they've met irl, I think they're doing it wrong.

Permabanned
Ime, the best way to understand typology on a practical level is by interacting with a handful of people that seem to be inadequately typed, so that you get a feel of the recurrent characteristics.

That said, socializing/learning typology/understanding others are ideally disconnected, so when people only use the forum to ask questions about themselves and/or the people that they've met irl, I think they're doing it right.

CSP.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I generally use the forum to learn how I can better accommodate others' needs, i.e. how I can adapt my communication style to others without losing my identity or "faking" anything. I'd argue this motivation isn't me first, then others, or vice versa, but both at once -- which is why I voted "other".

I do a helluva lot of socializing, don't get me wrong. :laugh: But when I talk MBTI, that's often why I do it. Exceptions arise when I have "breakthrough" moments about myself or about other people, that I want explained -- or when I need help typing myself. (That has only happened a few times, in all my years on the forum, and I got typed very quickly each time.)

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ime, the best way to understand typology on a practical level is by interacting with a handful of people that seem to be adequately typed, so that you get a feel of the recurrent characteristics.

That said, socializing/learning typology/understanding others are ideally interconnected, so when people only use the forum to ask questions about themselves and/or the people that they've met irl, I think they're doing it wrong.

Why do I get the feeling you're referring to me and this bothers you?

I think my point is that asking questions about oneself in relation to what others describe about themselves leads to an understanding of typology. If you are the one inadequately typed it's hard to do what you describe. Similarly, if you are adequately typed, you can use your own characteristics to connect to others' experiences to identify the recurrent ones, and so get a greater understanding of typology. Let me ask you- what would you do if you weren't entirely sure about your type but had a pretty good idea, and then a lot of people started telling you you were the opposite of what you thought? Would you not try to come up with an explanation?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why do I get the feeling [you're referring to me]¹ and [this bothers you?]²
1- Because you had asked me a related question directly, so it was for your benefit and also for the benefit of whoever seems to do the same thing. Got this random idea and decided it was worth sharing.

2- I didn't post the advice because I'm bothered, I'm trying to help. As for people who assume that they know what I'm feeling - that bothers me.

I think my point is that asking questions about oneself in relation to what others describe about themselves leads to an understanding of typology. If you are the one inadequately typed it's hard to do what you describe. Similarly, if you are adequately typed, you can use your own characteristics to connect to others' experiences to identify the recurrent ones, and so get a greater understanding of typology. Let me ask you- what would you do if you weren't entirely sure about your type but had a pretty good idea, and then a lot of people started telling you you were the opposite of what you thought?
For starters, I wouldn't create 10 threads asking about my type, to the point of becoming a typoc meme. I'd probably visit the forums where people of a given type hang out and try to see if the interaction style matches. More hard-working, for sure, but also more efficient.

Perhaps I'd end up concluding that the theory doesn't work very well for me.

Would you not try to come up with an explanation?
Yes.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1- Because you had asked me a related question directly, so it was for your benefit and also for the benefit of whoever seems to do the same thing. Got this random idea and decided it was worth sharing.

2- I didn't post the advice because I'm bothered, I'm trying to help. As for people who assume that they know what I'm feeling - that bothers me.
Ok good. Just making sure. The way you say things is sometimes unclear.

For starters, I wouldn't create 10 threads asking about my type, to the point of becoming a typoc meme. I'd probably visit the forums where people of a given type hang out and try to see if the interaction style matches. More hard-working, for sure, but also more efficient.

Perhaps I'd end up concluding that the theory doesn't work very well for me.

Yes.
Interaction style...sounds like an idea. I'd looked into that but didn't really come to a definite answer. Ok, fair enough. Research and passive interaction so to speak is a good idea. I'm a rather impatient person, and usually think if I can't solve something right away someone else's perspective would be more useful than mine. Ne I suppose.

One more thing: Type threads are a convenient way for me to organize my thoughts, like a blog. It's not always asking for a response. Sometimes I don't really know what I think until I write it down.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I joined in 2008 as Babylon Candle, during some rough times. At first I mainly used the site to learn about myself. I typed as a zillion ever changing types and trolled as much attention as i could. I wasnt doing it "on purpose", as I really sincerely wanted to post, ask questions and entertain. However, looking back now I was just really really socially attention starved and took it out on the users here and Ventrillo...

I then used the site as an escapism into an imaginary salon of intellectual topics...

Now I visit once a week or every few days just to post a musing or two... It's almost a sad nostalgia that I recognize a lot of forum names, and I have 2000 posts, and yet I don't really feel like I know anyone!?

deleted
The third option rings an obvious bell to me, yet I can't seem to fathom at the moment that option A is subconsciously my primary motive. Something and a bit of something else.

My type is like an electron; the more you try to observe it the more uncertain it becomes.

Your signature reminds me of something I read in Lenore Thomson's book describing a Perceiver's thought process. Don't take this to mean anything though.