• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Te-dom and Te-aux types, how do you describe Te? How does it appear in your life?

Usehername

On a mission
See a Ne type would invent a hoodie with holes by the ears, perhaps with a cute little flap resembling kitty or puppy ears that can be pinned up or worn down. Maybe we'd do some masculine styles too, like a skull or something.

First, we'd market in it Asia and get an official stamp of "cuteness" so all the Fe types will accept this as acceptable. We might go the "snuggie" route also with infomercials to normalize this look by showing it repeatedly at times of day when people are tired, drunk, and generally "susceptible".

At this point we get lazy &/or bored with this & hire a Te type to manage it.

Do it!!!

I love the snuggly hoodie feeling, and I hate not being able to hear what's goin' on. I want this!

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
See a Ne type would invent a hoodie with holes by the ears, perhaps with a cute little flap resembling kitty or puppy ears that can be pinned up or worn down. Maybe we'd do some masculine styles too, like a skull or something.

First, we'd market in it Asia and get an official stamp of "cuteness" so all the Fe types will accept this as acceptable. We might go the "snuggie" route also with infomercials to normalize this look by showing it repeatedly at times of day when people are tired, drunk, and generally "susceptible".

At this point we get lazy &/or bored with this & hire a Te type to manage it.

My mind is a bit confused on how the skull one would work. Mind making a crappy MS Paint drawing? :D

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, I will answer instead of derailing...

I think Te is about ordering things using external systems, but in an action way. I'd say they apply thought more than create thought.

I notice Te-aux tend to do this to subjugate reality to their Pi ideas. "Things should be X way according to my vision, and I can go from A to C to make it that way...". This isn't always efficient because it's not always creative enough. It may not bypass a step because it's all a chain, where something is a logical necessity to reach an end. However, in applying a proven system they seem able to get a lot done, some of which is creative because of what it's applied to (the Pi idea).

I take "Ne shortcuts" & it annoys them sometimes or looks very clever. But I'm also terrible with logistics. It's much more trial and error, which can lose any efficiency Ne ingenuity brings.

Do it!!!

I love the snuggly hoodie feeling, and I hate not being able to hear what's goin' on. I want this!

Actually I'd need a Te type from the get-go to work out all the business details & other practical crap. :cheese:
A Se type might do...hey, even an actual Ne-dom. People who know how to talk.

My mind is a bit confused on how the skull one would work. Mind making a crappy MS Paint drawing? :D

No ear flaps, just holes where the ear holes on a skull would be with a skull print all over for the "effect". You wouldn't have the front face part of the skull because that's where your face is. We could scrap that idea.

Maybe a shark fin on top for the boys...

/DG/

Hmm...this makes me wonder if I should instead create a thread about "work personality" vs. "having fun personality." The reason I say this is because I've always thought of Te in a rather businesslike way. And while it is very businesslike, um. Something something..

Okay I forgot my train of thought, but I know there was definitely a point in here. Can anyone intuitively tell what I was trying to say and if this is a good idea? I seem to be good at creating pointless threads.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I guess Te-types aren't ones who enjoy describing things. :shrug:
You can't say I didn't try. :dry:

Te is like... you have an objective, and you figure out the most efficient way of accomplishing that, and then execute your plan. There's always an objective to everything I do. If I don't have one, it really makes me uncomfortable. I get annoyed when people take forever to get to the point and I am somehow compelled to listen through the whole thing. On the forum it's easy, I straight up skip most posts, or skim. In real life, it's often difficult to straight up ignore someone if they're taking too long to get to the point, or straight up asking them "ok what's your point?".

At ANY given time, I have a pretty well defined idea of why I'm doing what I'm doing. It doesn't mean I make better choices, it just means I have a stated objective.

Okay, I will answer instead of derailing...

I think Te is about ordering things using external systems, but in an action way. I'd say they apply thought more than create thought.
I like this stuff. :)

Some people say Jeremy Clarkson is an ENTP. I learn toward ENTJ. Why?

Let's say you've got some weeds in your yard. You want them gone. So you offer to pay Jeremy Clarkson to remove them for you. Would he do the ENTP thing and invent a weeding contraption? No, he'd just get a bulldozer and remove the weeds with that. He'd also destroy your yard in the process, but the stated goal was to get rid of the weeds, right? Well the bulldozer is both thorough and fast. :D You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs now, can you? ;)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ It's not pointless!

I get what you're saying... people describe Te as all about goal, working towards. So what's Te like when on vacation (ITINERARY!), relaxing in the hot tub?

I think [MENTION=15246]SD45T-2[/MENTION] touched on that - still yelling, criticizing, bossing around. :D

Seriously, lots of Te-dom descriptions note a tendency to have trouble relaxing, to have trouble in the "home sphere", to be workaholics, etc. I've known some Te-dom who enjoy games with rules a lot. And if you don't follow the rules they get:ng_mad: .

Most Te hobbies seem dull to me. My INTJ cousin used to like to collect rocks & classify them :shock:. Thank goodness he moved onto photography. He still likes any kind of strategy game.

SiTe seems very prone to collecting. I knew an ISTJ who had a massive vinyl record collection. It wasn't just enjoying the music, but a sort devotion demonstrated with completeness & order.

Lots of Te women like traditional woman stuff like cooking or knitting - stuff with goals & steps.

Anyhow, I wouldn't be surprised if they do whatever others do but in a more orderly fashion. As a kid, I had trouble with Te types cuz I'd go all "Calvin Ball" on them & their desire to play structured games bored me to death.

Usehername

On a mission
^ It's not pointless!

I get what you're saying... people describe Te as all about goal, working towards. So what's Te like when on vacation (ITINERARY!), relaxing in the hot tub?

Seriously, lots of Te-dom descriptions note a tendency to have trouble relaxing, to have trouble in the "home sphere", to be workaholics, etc. I've known some Te-dom who enjoy games with rules a lot. And if you don't follow the rules they get:ng_mad: .

I know I abhor playing board games, because I can't relax enough, and then I get annoyed because I set this time aside for pleasure. I need something with serenity or chaos, but not rules.

I like cycling and hiking for the serenity, and capture the flag or pranks for the chaos.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Re: DisneyGeek's type, it's really hard for me to know. On the one hand, no, she doesn't scream ISTJ; we can all agree she's an introvert, but neither SJ nor T are all that obvious. But on the other hand, it could be Enneagram getting in the way? For example, people keep seeing me as a Feeler (ESFJ or ENFP) because of my strong 2 wing and 7 integration (plus 7 in my tritype), which mean, respectively, that I care way more about staying on everyone's good side than the average ESTJ, and that I'm much more open to spontaneity/adventures than the average ESTJ. So I could see DisneyGeek's possible 9-ness as muffling her Je and making her less, you know, Git-R-Done.

It's all about gathering factoids and information with an eye to efficiency, and applying it to some purpose. Te dom is hardcore, plugged in and focused, on a mission. Obsessed. When I Te aux, I'm just focused and efficient. I only obsess for a little while, as necessary. I'm too lazy to obsess long.
This all rings true -- especially Te-aux not obsessing as much. I think they're naturally much better at picking their battles than Te-doms are. Though I should probably add that xNTJs almost always come across as more "chill" than xSTJs. More chill, and more dreamy. Whereas ESTJs are always up in your business and meddling in your "wrongness", and ISTJs are always silently scanning the environment for flaws with their Si Death Ray Vision.
It makes me get impatient with people in TV shows and movies. I yell stuff at the TV like "Stop lingering on the objective! I don't care that this is a poignant moment for you! The bad guys are coming! Move!" :azdaja:

That's Te. :D Right EJCC?
:rofl1: Yes, exactly! I can't watch 99% of romantic comedies (or horror movies) because I spend the whole time going "That is a stupid decision! Stop before it's too late!! NOOOOOOOOOooooargh dammit it's too late now! Why didn't you listen to me?! :ng_mad:"
I lock on to my goal and then achieve it with the most direct and logical path.
^ This!
*Or bunnyhug, for my Saskatchewan readers. (@Fidelia.)
Is that what they call hoodies there???

:wub: That is the cutest thing I have ever heard.
lol.. even as a weak Fe type, I'd still have this in mind.
I can't even count the number of times I've had Fe-tard moments like that. And every time, just like what Usehername described, I consider it for half a second and then think "Nah, it won't be a big deal."

Best example: the time when I accidentally bought a Freddy Krueger sweater and wore it like a normal sweater for over a year. Saw it at Hot Topic (which should have been a giveaway), went "That looks a little like a Freddy Krueger sweater? But I love baggy, striped sweaters, and this is on sale. If I wear it differently, I'm sure no one will make that association." ...but everyone made that association, which I only really figured out a year later, when I promptly got rid of the sweater out of embarrassment. :doh:

------------------------------

More replies to come! Didn't realize how many pages there were here...

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Seriously, lots of Te-dom descriptions note a tendency to have trouble relaxing, to have trouble in the "home sphere", to be workaholics, etc.
Heat (1995) is one of my favorite movies. I own the special edition on DVD. I'm interested in law enforcement and criminal justice. I really appreciate Michael Mann's efforts to get things right, especially when it comes to guns. But a big part of it is because Vincent Hanna (Al Pacino) is one of the most thoroughly ESTJ characters I've ever seen. I totally connected with him. That's not to say I think he was perfect or that he always did the right thing, but I understood him and knew how he felt.

I've known some Te-dom who enjoy games with rules a lot. And if you don't follow the rules they get:ng_mad: .
"This isn't 'Nam, this is bowling; there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

KDude

Heat (1995) is one of my favorite movies. I own the special edition on DVD. I'm interested in law enforcement and criminal justice. I really appreciate Michael Mann's efforts to get things right, especially when it comes to guns. But a big part of it is because Vincent Hanna (Al Pacino) is one of the most thoroughly ESTJ characters I've ever seen. I totally connected with him. That's not to say I think he was perfect or that he always did the right thing, but I understood him and knew how he felt.

"This isn't 'Nam, this is bowling; there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

I enjoy games with rules too, but where I used to run into snags (with some Te coaches) was their need to emphasize specific techniques. It wasn't just a conflict of rules, but form and expression. Catching a ground or fly ball had to be done a certain way (in both cases, the "proper" technique is setting yourself in front of where the ball will come and cupping your mitt.. err.. hard to put into words, but maybe you know what I mean). They'd get annoyed if I did a Willy Mays (underhanded) catch or scooped a ball off the ground while running. Those techniques worked for me, and I was faster. Another difference with TPs is that they like rules, but play only with the "spirit of the rules" or see how far they can circumvent without breaking the game. In games, again it's often in your performance quirks (at least with Se types) or winning with an unseen strategy (kind of like how lawyers play with legal rules). When you can win this way, it's even more thrilling than if there was complete chaos.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So I could see DisneyGeek's possible 9-ness as muffling her Je and making her less, you know, Git-R-Done.
This sounds like a job for [MENTION=4353]MBTI Enthusiast[/MENTION] (she's an ISTJ 9).

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
EJCC really would probably be the best person to talk to about Te+Si. My perspective on Te is that it's primarily use is categorizing. It looks at a thing or situation, figures out what its purpose is and arranges categories based on that determination. Coupled with the auxiliary function, Te begins to work to define objectives either based on past principles (Si) or a future-oriented vision (Ni). The question Te seeks to answer is what characteristics need to be in place in order for a thing to fulfill a certain criteria. If you had a device, for instance, the thing that would make it a watch would be its ability to tell time. That focus on functionality is what makes Te-doms such efficiency nuts. We like to figure out how something can fulfill its purpose in as few steps as possible. Another corollary to that is that we're fairly adept at manipulating our environments. ENTJs have a particular knack for taking something and transforming it based on the understanding of it that Te (supported by Ni) lends us.

I'm tired, so I'm not sure if any of that makes sense.
It made sense. :yes: And it all seems pretty much right to me. Though your watch/device example seemed pretty foreign to me, so maybe it was a more Ni thought process.

Also, re: the bolded, I don't know about other ESTJs, but the way I use my Ne can lend itself to something similar, for example with DIY projects. I find useless things around my house, or in garage sales, or in the trash, and I think "how can I make this into something useful?" and then my Ne seizes control of the Si memory-bank and throws possible ideas to Te, which decides on the final DIY project based on various criteria (e.g. difficulty, budget, available tools/work space, attractiveness of final product).
Ahh....Although I enjoy using Se much more than Si, I find that I use Si much more and I'm better at using it. I also prefer and use Ne much more than Ni. Fe never felt right either (although I don't exactly like Fe all that much, which may pose a bit of a problem). Essentially, after all of the confusion I created, I just went back and picked the type that I first scored on an MBTI test without knowing what it all meant yet. Am I an ISTJ? Maybe. Does it really matter? Nah.
Well, it obviously matters at least a little bit, or else you wouldn't be starting threads to find your correct type. I'm just sayin'. ;)

Maybe now is when you look at general type descriptions and choose based on the broader whole, instead of the building blocks that form the whole?

For example: which forum members do you relate to more? You seem almost like a younger and more random [MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION], sometimes, and she's an ISFP 9.
Well, I have difficulty understanding the JCFs. It's not anyone's description that is at fault. I just have a hard time with abstract concepts. Examples are my thing.
Well, you're definitely a Sensor, then! ISxx it is.
Hmm...this makes me wonder if I should instead create a thread about "work personality" vs. "having fun personality." The reason I say this is because I've always thought of Te in a rather businesslike way. And while it is very businesslike, um. Something something..

Okay I forgot my train of thought, but I know there was definitely a point in here. Can anyone intuitively tell what I was trying to say and if this is a good idea? I seem to be good at creating pointless threads.
I'm not sure if I 100% get where you were going with that, but I can tell you that Te is a way of life for Te-users; you can't put your Te on before you leave for work, and take it off to hang up on your coat rack when you get home. (I find that that sort of function attitude makes more sense with inferior functions, e.g. my INTP dad definitely puts on and take off his Fe at will.) The way people describe Te does make it seem more business-related, you're right, but that's just because business language has irreparably seeped into MBTI descriptions (probably because of how frequently the MBTI is used in the workplace, vs. in other environments).

Take my experience on this thread, as an example. I entered it because I was essentially given a task by Rex and SD: Use your expertise/experience and help the other TJs make Te clear for the Te-uninitiated. So I came in, methodically responded to just about everyone in the thread in chronological order (to complete the task as thoroughly and excellently as I can), and my on-topic responses have all been formatted thus: Thesis statement. Bullet points: 1) 2) 3). The End. No frills. Like others have been saying: Get the task done as efficiently as possible.

And the thing is: this is all pretty much stream-of-consciousness. I don't have to work hard at all to operate like this. Meaning, the way I think really is that direct, a lot of the time. Yes, I go on Ne tangents sometimes, and yes, I do tend to feel like my mind is much more chaotic than my interaction style would lead you to believe. But the fact that I'm entering this thread like "Here is my input. Here is why it makes sense. Boom, boom, boom, point A, point B, point C. Done." is a pretty excellent example of "mundane" Te, i.e. Te in everyday life. And you can likely see, from how I phrased it, that it is VERY similar to workplace Te, just funneled into a different environment, with different goals laid out for it to accomplish.

(Edit: I've also been told by various forum members, including [MENTION=1456]Domino[/MENTION], that I communicate very, very clearly, concisely, and simply, to a degree that surprises them. Whereas I look at my own posting style and think "God damn it why do I use all these excess words? I don't NEED all these qualifiers!" :laugh:)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I didn't see a stupid FDG post for a long time, and this happened to be another one.

I enjoy masturbating , wasting time, and thinking about how the world works, obviously I don't have a life.

You sir, spend your life trying to get as much done as possible in a lifetime of never ending work, like a rat running in a wheel or a dog chasing its tail. You must be having the time of your life.

If working is the same as thinking, you get the most intelligent award of the day. Unfortunately, you can't do both at the same time.

You are completely dumb, because I was saying EXACTLY what you are saying (notice the "non" at the start of my sentence): that if you don't enjoy your free time in unproductive ways, you should get a life. Learn to read next time.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I can't make sense of "non-work-or-efficiency". Do you mean efficiency in non work situations? If that's the case, I can get caught up in how I set up a new computer and what software to install first, how I might build an RPG character, etc..

I mean to say that Te types will somewhat naturally pay attention to what you describe even when they are in "play" mode and not explictily caring about efficiency or being goal-oriented.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Learn to read next time.
To be fair, FDG, your phrasing was not very clear. I was confused by your double negative, too, and interpreted it the same way yenom did -- not in the "stupid FDG" sense, but in the "FDG is telling people who aren't always focused on efficiency to get a life" sense.

So... let's everyone take one of these. :chillpill:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Unclear phrasing isn't a reason to bark nonsense at other people.

/DG/

Well, it obviously matters at least a little bit, or else you wouldn't be starting threads to find your correct type. I'm just sayin'. ;)

Maybe now is when you look at general type descriptions and choose based on the broader whole, instead of the building blocks that form the whole?

For example: which forum members do you relate to more? You seem almost like a younger and more random [MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION], sometimes, and she's an ISFP 9.

Well, you're definitely a Sensor, then! ISxx it is.

Ehhh...I try not to make threads like this about me. Really, it's the whole bit about me never fully comprehending the cognitive functions. One day, I'll think I totally have it, but the next I realize I don't.

The bolded is probably another issue I have due to not being at all like an intuitive. Thing is, I dislike the descriptions.

I'm not sure if I 100% get where you were going with that, but I can tell you that Te is a way of life for Te-users; you can't put your Te on before you leave for work, and take it off to hang up on your coat rack when you get home. (I find that that sort of function attitude makes more sense with inferior functions, e.g. my INTP dad definitely puts on and take off his Fe at will.) The way people describe Te does make it seem more business-related, you're right, but that's just because business language has irreparably seeped into MBTI descriptions (probably because of how frequently the MBTI is used in the workplace, vs. in other environments).

Take my experience on this thread, as an example. I entered it because I was essentially given a task by Rex and SD: Use your expertise/experience and help the other TJs make Te clear for the Te-uninitiated. So I came in, methodically responded to just about everyone in the thread in chronological order (to complete the task as thoroughly and excellently as I can), and my on-topic responses have all been formatted thus: Thesis statement. Bullet points: 1) 2) 3). The End. No frills. Like others have been saying: Get the task done as efficiently as possible.

And the thing is: this is all pretty much stream-of-consciousness. I don't have to work hard at all to operate like this. Meaning, the way I think really is that direct, a lot of the time. Yes, I go on Ne tangents sometimes, and yes, I do tend to feel like my mind is much more chaotic than my interaction style would lead you to believe. But the fact that I'm entering this thread like "Here is my input. Here is why it makes sense. Boom, boom, boom, point A, point B, point C. Done." is a pretty excellent example of "mundane" Te, i.e. Te in everyday life. And you can likely see, from how I phrased it, that it is VERY similar to workplace Te, just funneled into a different environment, with different goals laid out for it to accomplish.
Well thanks for the responses.

I read all of these, but I often just don't have much to say in response, nor do I know how to say it.

(Edit: I've also been told by various forum members, including [MENTION=1456]Domino[/MENTION], that I communicate very, very clearly, concisely, and simply, to a degree that surprises them. Whereas I look at my own posting style and think "God damn it why do I use all these excess words? I don't NEED all these qualifiers!" :laugh:)
It's a very nice quality that many TJ users here have. Unlike Ti, Te gets right to the point.

KDude

Am I wrong or are you being sarcastic/making a joke?

I can't tell. D:

Yeah, I think you're wrong. I would say Te's emphasis on algorithm or procedure necessarily precludes more steps in reasoning, compared to Ti's focus on structure (and to me, "structure" is "getting to the point"). Whether one is more correct or not though is up for grabs. Ti types (at least STP, but probably ENTP too) can be hasty.