• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Question about the tertiary (play) function

I

Infinite Bubble

What does this distinction of the tertiary as the 'play' function actually mean? Is it literal in the fact that one might use this function when doing recreational activities, or something else entirely?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I see it as something you tend to do while relaxing. I've heard it called the relief function so I wonder if it provides some form of stress relief?

This function is more childish and less mature than dominant and auxilary but more mature than inferior.

You should ask Eric B. He is the guru when it comes to this.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
havent heard tert referred as play function before and i dont understand why someone would say its a "play" function. where you heard that?

I

Infinite Bubble

I've heard of it being referred to as the 'relief' and 'play' function, mostly from forums and such places.

I see it as something you tend to do while relaxing. I've heard it called the relief function so I wonder if it provides some form of stress relief?

This is what I first thought, so maybe you are right.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've heard of it being referred to as the 'relief' and 'play' function, mostly from forums and such places.

yea i have heard the relief function, but it doesent really have anything to do with play. its called a relief function because it offers a point of view to the conflict between inferior and dominant which allows them to coexist and thus relieving the negative inner tension created by the conflict between dom and inferior.