• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing people through pictures

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To cut a long story short, I have a theory that:

a) Mbti types have a characteristic vibe that can be detected through pictures.
b) Not every person will display that in a way that is so easily distinguishable.

I've been mostly testing the theory with INFPs (my current favorite type :wubbie:), and I've designed a tentative model on how to detect an INFP through pictures:

Things to look for:

1. very expressive face, specially eyes
  2. socially awkward vibe
  3. not able to fake smiles (INFJs are much better on that)
  4. seem to be very ''genuine''
  5. scrutinizing look, like they are trying to derive conclusions about people (in contrast, INTPs will have a scrutinizing look that will look fairly emotionless)

Examples:

Thoughts?

I've been trying to create a model for INFJs, but they are more challenging to differentiate. Let's see how it goes.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thank you for your new contribution to my thread.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Flattering.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thank you again, you're taking folk typology to its new heights.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i think that you might be able to type some people based on their automatic expressions in a situation, but you really need a video(or real life observation) to capture the whole expression and even then its not 100% certain and requires a specific type of stimuli and reaction.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i think that you might be able to type some people based on their automatic expressions in a situation, but you really need a video(or real life observation) to capture the whole expression and even then its not 100% certain and requires a specific type of stimuli and reaction.
Interesting perspective, thanks.

-------------

I know the theory might seem weird/unconventional/total bullshit/whatever, but I've actually tested the theory with images of some self typed INFPs on this website, plus some INFPs that I met offline. The theory was founded on empirical evidence, and I've tested it on a considerable sample before posting, so I'd appreciate all the constructive feedback (good or bad), but I don't want people trolling this thread, as mbti subforums were designed for technical discussions.

Thanks.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

It's possible that people of radically different types will automatically display similar facial expressions in the same situations. For example, if they both served in the military, attended the same church, were raised in similar families and so on, they could have been socially conditioned to experience and facially express certain kinds of emotions in response to particular circumstances.

Temperament alone only goes so far in determining how we react to circumstances and it would be errant folly to assume that our facial expressions are caused by nothing but our MBTI type and therefore we can use the former as evidence that the person in question belongs to a particular type.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I know the theory might seem weird/unconventional/total bullshit/whatever, but I've actually tested the theory with images of some self typed INFPs on this website, plus some INFPs that I met offline. The theory was founded on empirical evidence, and I've tested it on a considerable sample before posting, so I'd appreciate all the constructive feedback (good or bad), but I don't want people trolling this thread, as mbti subforums were designed for technical discussions.

Thanks.

Oh wow, you've "tested" a couple of people on this site who say they're INFPs but may not even know what an INFP is. You can bet that the superficial observations you've made about the faces of these few people definitely tell volumes about the essence of their personalities, that's some robust empirical evidence you've amassed there.

This line of inquiry is fraught with absurdities and cannot, even in principle, be supported by empirical evidence simply because there is no way of knowing why the people you're studying are displaying the facial expressions that you're observing. To assume that the only reason why they have the facial expressions you see is that they belong to this or that type would be absolute non-sense.

This is a bad idea, you need to move on to something else.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You gave your opinion. Noted.

Since you don't like the idea, it would be wiser for you to find something more productive to spend your time on.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's possible that people of radically different types will automatically display similar facial expressions in the same situations. For example, if they both served in the military, attended the same church, were raised in similar families and so on, they could have been socially conditioned to experience and facially express certain kinds of emotions in response to particular circumstances.

Temperament alone only goes so far in determining how we react to circumstances and it would be errant folly to assume that our facial expressions are caused by nothing but our MBTI type and therefore we can use the former as evidence that the person in question belongs to a particular type.

i dont disagree with what you said, however for example all ENFPs i have ever seen get this particular and pretty much identical expression when they are positively surprised(when totally caught off the guard) and i havent seen it in any other types. INFPs do similar thing, but its much more restrained and doesent come off as strong, while from ENFPs the energy they get from this surprise shows in their expression freely and radiates to light up half the world

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i dont disagree with what you said, however for example all ENFPs i have ever seen get this particular and pretty much identical expression when they are positively surprised and i havent seen it in any other types. INFPs do similar thing, but its much more restrained and doesent come off as strong, while from ENFPs the energy they get from this surprise shows in their expression freely and radiates to light up half the world

All of this seems based on anecdotes, vague observations and hunches. Sounds borderline spooky and far too amorphous to be regarded as a "theory" worthy of serious contemplation. It is light-years away from resembling anything that one would call "empirical" as the author of the OP proudly regards this melange of non-sense.

You gave your opinion. Noted.

Since you don't like the idea, it would be wiser for you to find something more productive to spend your time on.

It's not a matter of what I like or dislike, the evidence isn't on your side and that's why you're having trouble finding semi-plausible arguments to corroborate your position with. You're reaching and grasping for straws here, give it up. You owe it to typology to give Jung's ideas a little bit more dignity than this, they deserve better.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
All of this seems based on anecdotes, vague observations and hunches. Sounds borderline spooky and far too amorphous to be regarded as a "theory" worthy of serious contemplation. It is light-years away from resembling anything that one would call "empirical" as the author of the OP proudly regards this melange of non-sense.

if you are not going to give things a serious contemplation, then its pretty obvious that you shouldnt be commenting on them or forming any opinions about them(doing so just makes you seem like ignorant TJ).

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
if you are not going to give things a serious contemplation, then its pretty obvious that you shouldnt be commenting on them.

I gave it enough serious contemplation to determine that this "theory" is ill-thought out and not supportable by admissible evidence. That's as far as any reasonable person should be willing to go with this.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I gave it enough serious contemplation to determine that this "theory" is ill-thought out and not supportable by admissible evidence. That's as far as any reasonable person should be willing to go with this.

you saying that its not supportable means that there is something that has been proven conflicting with it. show me the evidence for that? if you dont have any evidence for that, it just shows that your theory of it not being supportable is ill-thought..

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not a matter of what I like or dislike, the evidence isn't on your side and that's why you're having trouble finding semi-plausible arguments to corroborate your position with. You're reaching and grasping for straws here, give it up. You owe it to typology to give Jung's ideas a little bit more dignity than this, they deserve better.
Worst case scenario, I can wait 5 years and then come back here to say that it was all a big joke. Right?

Saw a guy doing that a while ago and it seemed to work.

Anyways, I gotta sleep. Laterz.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
you saying that its not supportable means that there is something that has been proven conflicting with it. show me the evidence for that? if you dont have any evidence for that, it just shows that your theory of it not being supportable is ill-thought..

Buddy, you have it backwards, I don't have to prove anything. When you propound the theory, the onus is on you to support it with evidence. That's the way it works in nearly all scholarly disciplines including law, philosophy, politics, history and so on, does it not?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Buddy, you have it backwards, I don't have to prove anything. When you propound the theory, the onus is on you to support it with evidence. That's the way it works in nearly all scholarly disciplines including law, philosophy, politics, history and so on, does it not?

you have to have evidence if you say that it cant be true. im just saying that it might be possible and have observed this thing about ENFPs, i have also successfully types one INFP male(previously tested and self confirmed) and INFJ female(didnt know about MBTI, but totally agreed with INFJ after i taught her more about typology) from just them saying like one sentence that didnt even point out towards their type and looking at their expressions.

you see, i have some support for it possibly being true with good enough typing skills, your only support for it not being true is, well you have none..

I

Infinite Bubble

And this is why INTP Central sucks

Lol, yup.

To be fair, it is often said that eyes portray their intuition. I don't think you can be too objective with this, but I believe there are perhaps a few traits that show similarities between those with identical functions.