• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can personality psychology be bad for you?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ok, im fairly sure in my new conclusion, that im in a Ni Ti loop restlessly devouring any thoughts i can imagine, and oh do i feel stupid, cause even as deep as my view is, im completely blind to whats next to me. I think i desperately need an Ne dom to open my eyes like how they often do to me.

And the reason im in this loop is cause my Fe is overloaded with pain, too much so that i can barely even stand using the function anymore.

Why is your Fe overloaded with pain?

I think the Ni+Ti loop is a good call, I see both working in tandem to the exclusion of other input in some of your posts.

If you want to explore how to work through this with people here, I am sure everyone will be receptive. Some of us have had to deal with things like that in our own thinking, and people are very helpful.

S

Society

i've being asking myself the same question lately...

i think the answer you'd commonly get by asking others is that the typology lenses look like a useful tool while your wearing the typology lenses.

lately i've being able to examine certain things without them, and it's being a breath of fresh air.

G

garbage

Also: Just temper typology with a more general understanding of human nature to get a balanced view of similarities and differences. Problem solved.

KDude

Totally....

It can lead to paranoia and indecision.... If you looked seriously at most 'psychologists' theories and applied it to their own lives you'd be shocked they can boil an egg let alone achieve a PhD! Somewhere along the line this stuff got chiseled in stone and the whole 'industry' forgot that this was just approximation and that science/philosophy/psychology are still fairly blunt tools, sadly with many hubristic full advocates.

There are loads of utterly stupid theories not given a warning sticker... Seriously do you really think that Freud's Oedipus Complex applied to anyone? Yet guff like that was and still is taken seriously by some psychoanalysts; and people put their trust into it. I wonder at times what damage this has done to people, often the most vulnerable.

Attempting to shoehorn your life into any theory isn't a good idea, it can breed a dependancy on psychology and leave you doubting far too much. I look at the skeptic movement which seems to have turned inwards on itself and instead of being a bastion of virtue for humanity seeks to undermine and ridicule that which makes us human. It seems utterly academically unacceptable and almost career suicidal to even hint that humans might be kinda alright. But look around you, does life really approximate to most psychological/skeptical findings? Hardly in my opinion. Psychology somewhat overplays its hand, it's a nice route map at times but it isn't the road, it's a welcome friend at times but it isn't the gatekeeper of your life.

Pinch of salt needed....

NB... I forget who but I remember a philosopher saying that "... You can learn more about the human condition reading say Anna Karenina than you can in the whole of psychology's library"

He was being slightly tongue in cheek, but he had a valid point....

Pretty cool for a first post. :)

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think the Ni+Ti loop is a good call, I see both working in tandem to the exclusion of other input in some of your posts.

If you want to explore how to work through this with people here, I am sure everyone will be receptive. Some of us have had to deal with things like that in our own thinking, and people are very helpful.
"
Why is your Fe overloaded with pain?
"
many reasons. But mostly because i cant lie to my feelings, so im only left with option of suffering or ignorance.

Ive always had a terrible pain in the background, mostly due dissatisfaction at life for not being emotionally comfortable. But then it peaked when i started to have ear ringing 24/7, and it was just too much cause i value my hearing over all other senses the most. And that was just too much, so i wanted to forget everything and i did.

Thinking im quite sure 947 is my ennea, and it means its like theres this huge storm going on, and i attempt to stay in the center at the calm spot.

Often i get swayed from the center and then i drow in the storm(panic) and get scornful at all of my feelings for it.

I guess i just need to learn to mediate between the pain and pleasure so i wouldnt forget one and be overwhelmed, and emotional tolerance.

I think the best state is when those two are in balance. Too much pain and its untolerable, too much pleasure and your high, thus liable to stupidity.

I dont know how other people could help me, ive always been one to figure out everything himself. In everything. I guess that only adds to the loneliness i experience, like no human ever has known the real me. And somehow i always change to someone else when in contact to other people. I think im just very disconnected from my feelings

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is there any medical treatment to deal with ear ringing and other physical pain you might experience?

Physical pain is a nasty thing when it's chronic. Acute pain goes away, but chronic pain basically can erode conscious thought over time, making it hard to think coherently and wisely, as well as endure other stimulation and foster relationships.

"

I dont know how other people could help me, ive always been one to figure out everything himself. In everything. I guess that only adds to the loneliness i experience, like no human ever has known the real me. And somehow i always change to someone else when in contact to other people. I think im just very disconnected from my feelings

If I can comment on this, your approach on this forum has been one of over-intellectualizing things. It's very clear to me that you live within your own head and are not really receptive to outside thoughts. If you do feel unstable so much that you can't handle external stimulation (whether it be sensations, or sounds, or even the ideas of others), then your withdrawing inside to a safe place makes sense to me.

But at the same time, when you over-intellectualize, you become impersonal and inhuman. People have a difficult time relating to you, and your lack of openness to the input and thoughts of others that I've seen here automatically leads people to withdraw and/or dismiss you. If you want to interact with others and have them be part of your life, you cannot continue to construct your own reality inside your head. It's a Catch-22. I appreciate you being vulnerable here and explaining some of what is going on in your head, it can give people an understanding of what you are experiencing and why you interact as you do.

So at least for any physical things, any treatment you could find to help reduce the wall between you and others can only be a good thing. Do you have any options to consult with a doctor (for the physical pain) or a therapist (for the emotional)?

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is there any medical treatment to deal with ear ringing and other physical pain you might experience?

Physical pain is a nasty thing when it's chronic. Acute pain goes away, but chronic pain basically can erode conscious thought over time, making it hard to think coherently and wisely, as well as endure other stimulation and foster relationships.

If I can comment on this, your approach on this forum has been one of over-intellectualizing things. It's very clear to me that you live within your own head and are not really receptive to outside thoughts. If you do feel unstable so much that you can't handle external stimulation (whether it be sensations, or sounds, or even the ideas of others), then your withdrawing inside to a safe place makes sense to me.

But at the same time, when you over-intellectualize, you become impersonal and inhuman. People have a difficult time relating to you, and your lack of openness to the input and thoughts of others that I've seen here automatically leads people to withdraw and/or dismiss you. If you want to interact with others and have them be part of your life, you cannot continue to construct your own reality inside your head. It's a Catch-22. I appreciate you being vulnerable here and explaining some of what is going on in your head, it can give people an understanding of what you are experiencing and why you interact as you do.

So at least for any physical things, any treatment you could find to help reduce the wall between you and others can only be a good thing. Do you have any options to consult with a doctor (for the physical pain) or a therapist (for the emotional)?

im so disconnected from my feelings that these seem unreal, so i hardly see them myself so then how could i bring what i cant see myself to an other?

I doubt theres any treatment for my ears, but i guess i could try asking anyways.

Ive been listening to that ringing for a few years and i still cant accept it, i guess i will stay resentful of all my permanent injuries for the rest of my life.

Why everything beautiful has to be so painful? I wonder if those without ennea 4 in triad can experience the same amount of beauty without the pain.