• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to differentiate the four TP types?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Discuss and explain the differences and common points between theses 4 types.

IMO

ISTP: carver, steadfast, empirical
ESTP: materialistic, active, epicurian
INTP: metaphysician, visionnary, ascetic
ENTP: speculator, explorer, entrepreneur

I can relate on every of theses adjectives, and relate on the descriptions of each of theses types, so I don't really know where I fit.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If I had to guess, I'd go with your current self-typing of ESTP>

And what do you exactly mean by "carver" for ISTP? Carving tools for example? Or something else entirely?

Phil P

MBTI Type
INTP
Figuring out if you are an S or N is more important to home in on the right personality than is the E or I.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INTP: metaphysician, visionnary, ascetic

I don't see you as that; well, I guess it's possible, since you understand philosopher's and their theories well enough to type them pretty accurately, but overall, you seem a bit more 'explorative' and 'active', so try to choose between the 2 ETPs rather than the 4 TPs.

My vote though goes to your own initial inclination, ESTP (if you can type famous figures with such precision, you probably know your own type too).

KDude

Steadfast seems more like STJ to me. I don't see any percievers stand out that way. I think both ITPs are steadfast "defensively" maybe. But I'm not steadfast in the offensive sense. I'll change course or suddenly see where things fail, ahead of time. I think it's dumb to push through things out of determination, or just because I started it. I may even extend the steadfast thing to ISFJs. They would be steadfast in relationships, while I would not. For example, I would break a relationship as long as it's present conditons (Se) worked. ISFJ would hold on longer or try to fix a dysfunctional situation. I've quit jobs with the sudden (Ni?) realization of seeing all the undesirable ways my life would develop if I stayed. I've stopped midway in fights, and picked the opponent up, realizing we'd kill each other or he isn't really that bad.

Anyways..Probably not relevant. You seem more intuitive to me.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And what do you exactly mean by "carver" for ISTP? Carving tools for example? Or something else entirely?

Both. It means being very concerned with detail, and be persistent at scupting thing with thoroughness and preciseness until get the wished wanted result.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Steadfast seems more like STJ to me. I don't see any percievers stand out that way. I think both ITPs are steadfast "defensively" maybe. But I'm not steadfast in the offensive sense. I'll change course or suddenly see where things fail, ahead of time. I think it's dumb to push through things out of determination, or just because I started it. I may even extend the steadfast thing to ISFJs. They would be steadfast in relationships, while I would not. For example, I would break a relationship as long as it's present conditons (Se) worked. ISFJ would hold on longer or try to fix a dysfunctional situation. I've quit jobs with the sudden (Ni?) realization of seeing all the undesirable ways my life would develop if I stayed. I've stopped midway in fights, and picked the opponent up, realizing we'd kill each other or he isn't really that bad.

"Tenacious" or "persisitent" perhaps are words which fits better to ISTPs. And more than for the other TP types, who are more volatile and scattered.

You seem more intuitive to me.

Why?

KDude

I know. But it's something that we can frequently see with ISTPs, like Stanley Kubrick or Steve Jobs for example.

I can't say I know about either one to comment much. I'll just take it into the abstract. There's more adaptability and "volatility" in Beren's description, for example.

Chart the Course: Analyzer Operator

Actively solving problems. Observing how things work. Talent for using tools for the best approach. Need to be independent. Act on their hunches or intuitions. Understanding a situation. Taking things apart. Making discoveries. Sharing those discoveries. Unsettled by powerful emotional experiences.

Inside I am continually reworking an issue. I am constantly open to new directions, always tweaking and bringing in new information. I solve a problem by looking at all the angles, probably whatever side I need to. There is an answer, and I just need to get to the best way to figure it out-to meet my objectives and give it to people how it is without annoying anyone.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The TPs are an interesting temperament, I have two TP teachers, a ISTP and ENTP(for refrigeration technology), I'm like right in between those two:D.

The ISTP has more in depth knowledge about the various refrigeration and furnace systems, he is more chill and laid-back while the ENTP is more broader and all over the place, humorous and entertaining, frequently goes into tangents but can be kind of preachy and impatient compared to the ISTP.

I call the TPs the tacticians, I think TPs are typically nonchalant and cavalier in demeanor, sometimes can be rebellious, can be insensitive but are generally harder to offend than other types(especially compared to the NFPs).

R

Riva

Directive (stp) and informative (ntp) is the easiest way to distinguish between the 4 types. So it's not a surprise stps tend to be enn 8s or w8s (8w7s, 7w8s, 9w8s) more than ntps tend to be. On an offtopic note; the above is probably the reason stp 7w6s and 6w7s usually get typed as esfps. Ron weasely (6w7) from harry potter series and risby (7w6) from the mentalist are good examples for stps who get typed as esfps due to not being w8s or e8s people stereotype them to be.

KDude

Directive (stp) and informative (ntp) is the easiest way to distinguish between the 4 types. So it's not a surprise stps tend to be enn 8s or w8s (8w7s, 7w8s, 9w8s) more than ntps tend to be. On an offtopic note; the above is probably the reason stp 7w6s and 6w7s usually get typed as esfps. Ron weasely (6w7) from harry potter series and risby (7w6) from the mentalist are good examples for stps who get typed as esfps due to not being w8s or e8s people stereotype them to be.

I don't understand why any typical introvert would have enough investment in outside interests to be a 8. Unless it was hoisted on them (due to a job maybe). Not that I doubt it. I just don't understand why they'd need to prove themselves so much. It's funny that you don't mention 6w5s. Almost all of the ISTPs at this site are 6w5 (marked more by instinctual differences).

R

Riva

I don't understand why any typical introvert would have enough investment in outside interests to be a 8. Unless it was hoisted on them (due to a job maybe). Not that I doubt it. I just don't understand why they'd need to prove themselves so much. It's funny that you don't mention 6w5s. Almost all of the ISTPs at this site are 6w5 (marked more by instinctual differences).
I really didn't know that e8s have anything to do with being interested in the 'outside'. Also I can't use the advance search on member search list to find out whether your claims about 6w5 is true since i'm using my phone right now. 6w5s give a bit of a paranoid bossy in-your-face vibe from what I have noticed, which in a way - for an untrained eye - appear e8ish. So maybe the e8s and w8s I notice so often are 6w5s. Hmm.. We both forgot to mention e5s for istps. Are they not the most common for istps? Infact 5w4s would make more sense than 6w5s for istps' general attitude towards life.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really didn't know that e8s have anything to do with being interested in the 'outside'.

They don't. That's just one of the KDude's misconceptions about this model.

And yes, most ISTPs here type them as 6w5 or 5w6, or 9w8.. No one is on the assertive triad. That's in part why I have so mucj hard time to identify myself as an ISTP: I have nothing in common with theses folks, I hope I'm not that boring.

KDude

They don't. That's just one of the KDude's misconceptions about this model.

And yes, most ISTPs here type them as 6w5 or 5w6, or 9w8.. No one is on the assertive triad. That's in part why I have so mucj hard time to identify myself as an ISTP: I have nothing in common with theses folks, I hope I'm not that boring.

lol, because of some model and enneagram type, a person is categorized as "non-assertive"? If you're an an ESTP, you wouldn't fixate on models, but on specific situations. They would assess people tactically, not strategically.

I'm not going to be put on the defensive and give my life story of "assertive" moments, but if you ever want to get to know someone, just ask. Don't put me into some box of "celebrities" you grabbed from pop culture, and then associate me with whatever model they signify to you. You think I'm 9w8 for some reason (I'm a counterphobic 6 btw), and then project some image of me being "Slash" from Guns n Roses. Or whatever it is. You do this often. Come back down to earth. Talk to people instead. If you were so assertive, you wouldn't take such a remote, model based approach to the world.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Without going into an entire dissertation..... there's a huge difference between ESTPs and ENTPs, and while INTPs and ISTPs are rather similar, ISTPs have more of a down-to-earth to-the-point flavor.

ENTPs are dominant Ne is which can look in-the-moment, but is also the ultimate downplay of reality. We often operate in a realm where evidence is irrelevant, all sorts of little intuitions take precedence, a lot of which are the type that an ESTP would dismiss as crazy.

ESTPs are dom Se, which is more of a true flow with and trusting of what experience shows every moment, intuition feels more like something that happens to them, and this detachment makes them more critical about it, or sometimes more fanatical about it. ENTPs may see their swift surface level interactions and evaluations of the world to be lacking and deeply flawed.

Oh, I forgot to distinguish IxTP from ExTP. Well, IxTPs are inferior Fe, which often shows up in a classic introverted way, which comes with projections/complaints such as "why do people have to be so superficial?" and "the world is all just unenlightened sheeple forever chased by dogs."