• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I more Ni or Ne? (very complex!)

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
I am an internally (and somewhat externally) suspected INTP, yet in ways I feel kind of skeptical about it, and now I'm a little skeptical of the idea I may have Ne as an auxillary function. To start:

If I'm not lost in my thoughts or depressed about something, I sometimes do look at the external world and take unrelated ideas and make something funny out of it. I recently concluded that snapbacks look like severed duck heads, just a little wider. I do pretty well at looking at a deformed shape and pinpointing what it looks like. I consider multiple possibilities at the same time, even when something seems likely. I think about how a certain response could be taken in various ways from someone. As a child, I loved building things out of almost anything, and decorating legos and creating little cities, and would pretend I was Godzilla sometimes. My sense of humor is very observational, and it can "train" sometimes, as in, one funny comment will lead to another related funny comment, and so on. I took a earlier joke from one of my favorite comedians and modified the hell out of it, I won't go into extra detail about that right now. I'm good at rhyming words or weaving them together for comedic purposes, for example, "there was once a cat who ate so much crap, he got so fat that all he did was nap". I feel like I'm lacking in knowledge right now, and I vision if I had more, I could do so much more with my possible Ne. In other words, my possible Ne is weak due to my weak knowledge base of things I can relate external things to.

However, I have gotten better at reading people. I look into a comment someone may say, or frequent facial expressions and behaviors, and it will open up an explosion of possibly related data in my head, and then draw possibilities of what this person may be like based off of that, and give me above average reliability of an impression, yet amazingly I am not quick to judge or conclude just based of of that external data, and consider other possibilities. I can predict what may happen next based on past history, or obvious patterns. I am always forming possibilities of anything in my head, and I'm usually stimulated by movement or music to generate new thoughts and ideas. I have always been a future oriented thinker, and have planned my future at times, sometimes prematurely and irrationally (when I was a kid, this was just due to my resilliance). I sometimes have "aha!" gut feelings that come out of nowhere. My foresight has gotten better.

Therefore, it seems there is an Ne/Ni overlap here, and it is hard for me to pinpoint the preference.

I may come up with some more about me later, but this is enough data for you guys to work on and analyze. Cheers.

Emerill

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Let's go over the basics of these functions.

Ni doesn't necessarily mean you can't come up with a variety of ideas. It does consider a variety of ideas but cuts ideas out as other, better ideas come along. Basically, it gathers a lot of information, and considering ideas as they come along, then fine tunes them, snipping ideas away and shaping them until Ni is satisfied.

Ne does the opposite. It takes one idea and though it considers all of the possibilities, it's not as quick to cut ideas away. It will keep every idea that comes along, going on and on, creating a web of ideas. If you've seen an INTP or INFP trying to make decisions, for example, they're not quick to form a decision, from considering all of the options, and when they come up with a decision, they still leave other options. An INFJ or INTJ, Ni dominants, come up with decisions rather quickly, and stick with it, cutting out the other possibilities once deemed unnecessary.

Though you've written a lot of details, I can't quite pick through it enough to see either of these two basics.

These lines:
"I think about how a certain response could be taken in various ways from someone."
"My sense of humor is very observational, and it can "train" sometimes, as in, one funny comment will lead to another related funny comment, and so on."
" I look into a comment someone may say, or frequent facial expressions and behaviors, and it will open up an explosion of possibly related data in my head, and then draw possibilities of what this person may be like based off of that, and give me above average reliability of an impression, yet amazingly I am not quick to judge or conclude just based of of that external data, and consider other possibilities."

Sound like Ne
You're most likely an Ne user.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
Let's go over the basics of these functions.

Ni doesn't necessarily mean you can't come up with a variety of ideas. It does consider a variety of ideas but cuts ideas out as other, better ideas come along. Basically, it gathers a lot of information, and considering ideas as they come along, then fine tunes them, snipping ideas away and shaping them until Ni is satisfied.

Ne does the opposite. It takes one idea and though it considers all of the possibilities, it's not as quick to cut ideas away. It will keep every idea that comes along, going on and on, creating a web of ideas. If you've seen an INTP or INFP trying to make decisions, for example, they're not quick to form a decision, from considering all of the options, and when they come up with a decision, they still leave other options. An INFJ or INTJ, Ni dominants, come up with decisions rather quickly, and stick with it, cutting out the other possibilities once deemed unnecessary.

Though you've written a lot of details, I can't quite pick through it enough to see either of these two basics.

These lines:
"I think about how a certain response could be taken in various ways from someone."
"My sense of humor is very observational, and it can "train" sometimes, as in, one funny comment will lead to another related funny comment, and so on."
" I look into a comment someone may say, or frequent facial expressions and behaviors, and it will open up an explosion of possibly related data in my head, and then draw possibilities of what this person may be like based off of that, and give me above average reliability of an impression, yet amazingly I am not quick to judge or conclude just based of of that external data, and consider other possibilities."

Sound like Ne
You're most likely an Ne user.

This makes sense, but I also feel like I can relate to Ni sometimes since on occasion, I may temporarily dismiss ideas and focus on just one or two at a time.

But I'm not very in touch with myself, so.....

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
Based on that, combined with all of the other research I have done on Ne, I feel like I do indeed have an Ne preference. It appears a little weak though due to my lack of knowledge.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Based on that, combined with all of the other research I have done on Ne, I feel like I do indeed have an Ne preference. It appears a little weak though due to my lack of knowledge.

If you're sure of your Enneagram 6 typing, it's not surprising that you associate with Ni. I feel like 6s try to do a lot of the same looking ahead and predicting that Ni users do, so we end up thinking a lot like that at times. You do sound slightly more Ne than Ni to me too, though.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
If you're sure of your Enneagram 6 typing, it's not surprising that you associate with Ni. I feel like 6s try to do a lot of the same looking ahead and predicting that Ni users do, so we end up thinking a lot like that at times. You do sound slightly more Ne than Ni to me too, though.

I took another enneagram test and got type 5, and I've been suspected as a 5w4, so I'm personally leaning towards that at the moment.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It all has some bit of an Ne flavor, not really much to indicate Ni (though I understand Ni is kind of harder to get at).

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
It's funny that a lot of people are saying I'm Ne because I posted a video of myself on another forum as a reference to try and create a better idea of my personality type, and someone thought I was Ni-dom based on my facial expressions, hand gestures, and based on some of the things I said.

Last edited:

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
My guess is: your score on Judging/Perceiving is 50/50. Is that correct?

Every test I took (which I have started to peg as somewhat unreliable) have given me perceiving results, above the J/P borderline.

MBTI sample test had me 10-20%

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
Ok, should you score J/P as 50/50, then you would be either INTJ or INTP, using resp. Ne and Ni.

Have you tried Nardi's test:http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm

Yes, I took that a couple times and got mostly INTP results. I got ISTP the first time (I think), and INFP once. The more accurately I answered the questions, the more I leaned towards INTP.

However I have thought such tests only give you an idea of your type, and doesn't really dig deeper; and the cognitive function results on tests can be inaccurate.

Pushbeat

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Ah well, is it really important if you use Ne, Ni or both? Maybe the MBTI model can help you to improve your live, maybe not, maybe not all the time. It helps me to understand myself and others, but not by using it as a manual, more as a reminder that there is more than I can analyze.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
Ah well, is it really important if you use Ne, Ni or both? Maybe the MBTI model can help you to improve your live, maybe not, maybe not all the time. It helps me to understand myself and others, but not by using it as a manual, more as a reminder that there is more than I can analyze.

It's more as in I want to understand how I process things, so I can use it to my advantage (like see what jobs are best for me, hobbies, etc.)

Pushbeat

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
It's more as in I want to understand how I process things, so I can use it to my advantage (like see what jobs are best for me, hobbies, etc.)

I understand, it may take some time to find out. Since you indicated INTP yourself, maybe this is helpful.
By the way, Nardi's test gave me Ne and Ni both the status 'excellent use'.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
do you relate more to the SP temperament or NT?
how do you think those who know you best would answer that?

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
do you relate more to the SP temperament or NT?
how do you think those who know you best would answer that?

I think I relate more to the NT temperament.
But for how others may answer this, no idea. I am hard to read sometimes. Some may say SP, some may say NT.