• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Gut Feelings

Folderol

MBTI Type
INTP
What do you think is responsible for them? When I say gut feelings, I mean instances of like "Something is wrong, but I have no idea what or why." It's not even always a distinct feeling, but sometimes just a certain "offness" or confusion or. Sometimes it comes out of the blue and with nothing to back it up... in these cases I try to bring logic back into the fold to find out exactly what caused this or even explain the gut feeling away. Like if I had to choose between Choice A and Choice B, logically I will come up with reasons why one A is best, yet at the same time, I'll have this "thing" about B. There might not be anything to back it up, but it still feels like it's drawing me in. You can almost look at it as quantity (A) vs quality (B). One of them is the safe bet, but the other one has some mystical X-Factor/"The One" thing going on. In situations like these, I feel it's a bit of a rigged game. Who do I trust? 50% of the time logic prevails, the other 50% something doesn't work out how I expected it and the gut feeling was enticing me for right reasons all along (even if I could not pinpoint why).

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This sounds like the Strategic Gamer brain process described in Neuroscience of Personality among others described therein.

Strategic Gamer: Weigh many pros and cons, risks and uncertainties at once in order to finesse complex situations.

This helps to locate a leverage point, which can be acted upon with precision via the gut insinct felt by the various push and pulls of different options.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I blame it on me being a paranoid freak.

Folderol

MBTI Type
INTP
Interesting! That book is actually arriving in the mail for me in 2 days so I'll get a chance to read that. I wonder why it's called gamer though. I never use that when I play online games, EXCEPT when I am doing serious team activities where composition is important to success and I know many variables and can quickly size up/estimate the competition (I quite liked dictating team setups for dungeons in Guild Wars 1, directly off what I knew what the enemy was working with).

W

WALMART

Every time I second guess my natural inclination and follow through with 'logic' I am wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.

I'd like to think I'll someday learn, but nope. I'll always trust my stupid brain over my infinitely more powerful mind.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Its intuition and there might be some unconscious feeling bias coming through intuition. Basically there is stuff in your unconsciousness that feels/thinks/whatever that B is the correct choise, but your ego(central operating system in the field of consciousness) wants to handle the decision based on logical reasoning. Which one to follow depends on the situation and in order to consciously weight these two options properly, you need to develope feeling(if its feeling coming through intuition), so that you become more conscious of the reasons why it wants B. Ill just say that many times there is a good reason why your intuition perceives something as like you said having this "thing" about it, but whether it is better to follow reason or intuition, you cant really tell whether you know why the intuition says what it says, but its definitely worth listening to and taking into consideration, at least most of the times..

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Its intuition and there might be some unconscious feeling bias coming through intuition. Basically there is stuff in your unconsciousness that feels/thinks/whatever that B is the correct choise, but your ego(central operating system in the field of consciousness) wants to handle the decision based on logical reasoning. Which one to follow depends on the situation and in order to consciously weight these two options properly, you need to develope feeling(if its feeling coming through intuition), so that you become more conscious of the reasons why it wants B. Ill just say that many times there is a good reason why your intuition perceives something as like you said having this "thing" about it, but whether it is better to follow reason or intuition, you cant really tell whether you know why the intuition says what it says, but its definitely worth listening to and taking into consideration, at least most of the times..

I agree with what INTP says. I think the 'gut' feelings stem from the unconscious and they are there from good reason. Someone gives off a bad vibe for example. Maybe somewhere in your past experience you dealt with someone similar and it's stored in your memory but for some reason, your conscious memory can't precisely recall the scene but the impression is still stored.