• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type and personal space

I

Infinite Bubble

Which types really dislike having their personal space invaded? Also, which types tend to invade peoples space without regards to how the other person feels about this? There's an annoying person at my college who constantly does this to everyone, deliberately getting up close and being immature, that's how it got me wondering.

W

WALMART

infp's are pretty resistant to approach, when they've got that mindset.

estp's are probably most in your face.

KDude

I don't like it myself. Depends what kind of invasiveness it is though. If you're spastic and loud, I'll do something immediately. If you're just unsettling a power structure I'm used (like a newcomer displaying dominance or trying to redirect everyone), they're not as easy targets as the goofy ones, so I'm not as impulsive. But someone goes down eventually (and sometimes it's been me). Then there's a third type that invades my space (I might say ESFJs), who sort of "volunteer" me into doing social or "helpful" things. I don't like it, but I'm not as pissed either. Their intentions are ok.

Permabanned
Ime, INFx's are usually prone to fall into the former and Exxx's the latter.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
Which types really dislike having their personal space invaded? Also, which types tend to invade peoples space without regards to how the other person feels about this? There's an annoying person at my college who constantly does this to everyone, deliberately getting up close and being immature, that's how it got me wondering.

It's probably cultural as well. If you're in a Latin country, everyone is up close. If you're in an Anglo Saxon country you have to stand like 10 metres from someone to talk to them. Or like when your friend sits across the aisle from you on the metro and you have to shout at them to talk, even though there was a space next to you. :laugh:

And don't get me started on talking to Muslim women. The men stand close to each other but you have to stand like 100 metres from any woman, it's like fuck it I'll send you an email.:laugh:

So yeah maybe it is slightly type related, but cultural differences are greater than type differences, and types within the same culture, will be more similair than same types across different cultures.

KDude

I don't see why it's an INF thing. Can you explain the theory behind that? I just have my experiences. I have an ESFJ neighbor, for example, who's tried to show up on my doorstep and get me to move pieces of furniture or fix a garage door. You think any ITP jumps for joy with those requests? Whatever it is I'm immersed in - no matter how pointless - it's vastly more important than you. Or if I'm at a party, talking to a girl, and some jackass keeps poking his head into the conversation and tells crappy jokes.. you think I'm going to join along.. because, what, I'm like some "hip" exhuberant SP who loves bullshit like this? More than likely, I will choke him.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not sure if it's type related. I know I'm more than usually sensitive about it, but I don't think it's an ISTP thing. Introverts, for sure, but I'm not sure beyond that.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

<---- really dislikes having my personal space invaded. Really. If you do it, I may simply remove you/have you removed. If you do it on purpose, you might get hurt, then removed.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I view these things kind of as spectra with intx being at one particular extreme in this case and perhaps esfp at the other. The real answer is of course that people who grow up in rural areas are more likely to require more personal space whereas people who grow up in urban environments require less. It has to do with the population density of the place you grew up in with perhaps even the culture of the individual home you grew up in, etc contributing

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The real answer is of course that people who grow up in rural areas are more likely to require more personal space whereas people who grow up in urban environments require less.
Oh, that's an interesting theory. I did grow up in a rural area.

KDude

Oh, that's an interesting theory. I did grow up in a rural area.

I wouldn't say it's rural here, but wide open. My brother grew up the same way, but ended up moving to NYC (and before that Houston), and think it's the shit. I never thought of him as extroverted, but maybe he is and likes all the contact. To me, it's bad around here in busy shopping plazas. I'd hate to be in a whole city like that.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the rural/urban is an interesting aspect, but I'd expand that concept into general imprinting from nurture, whether on a more cultural level (what someone mentioned earlier when contrasting more stoic & self-sufficient northern europeans vs. more close-knit latino or southern european cultures), or just an immediate-family level (which filters down into attachment styles - some ppl really pushing back on relationships and needing tons of space, and on the opposite side, some ppl becoming more prone to co-dependency and clinginess, which would transcend E/I).

But yeah, obv. introverts need more space and alone time as a general rule. There are just a lot more factors to layer on top of that.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I prefer to have as much personal space as possible, especially if I'm approached by strangers. Close friends and family I'm fine with the touchy-feely stuff. I'm selective with these things.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
The real answer is of course that people who grow up in rural areas are more likely to require more personal space whereas people who grow up in urban environments require less.
I don't know that I necessarily agree with this. With my family and friends, I'm known for needing a lot of personal space. I rarely even hug my own parents and I can't even think of the last time I kissed them. I've lived in the same suburban area all of my life and I have three siblings (all boys, if it matters). Between my younger brothers, there is a bit more touching when we are tackling each other, but it isn't really affectionate.

In contrast, I know another girl who has lived here all her life, but she is overly affectionate and touchy (physical sense), to the point where it could be super uncomfortable to interact with her a lot of the time. She was just too close to me and would occasionally touch me when she spoke...and she does it with everyone. Like most people that know me for a while, she eventually took the hint that I didn't like touching people, but she still does this with other people. She has a younger sister and two very young brothers if it matters.

I know you're just speaking in general terms, but this girl and I contrast so much that I felt it was noteworthy.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I will also add I seem to have no middle ground. Either do not touch me, or not only do we touch, but I am all over you with affection. I love touch, but my criteria for being a candidate is rigorous, so once you've been selected for touching, you become my outlet for it with all its force. :D
+1. For me pretty much only an SO fits into the touching category. So I tend to annoy them with that. :happy2:

G

garbage

I'm not usually fond of giving or receiving it. I think I broke typology :shrug:

But then, I didn't grow up with it, either. I think this issue is more nurture (upbringing and culture) than nature.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm really ok with touch. If you want to hug me, pet me (non-sexually), kiss my cheek, even, I'm fine with that. But then step back.

Time and place matters a lot to me, too, for this stuff.

KDude

So this is about hugging and touching? And here I am not even wanting people to knock on my door.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
So this is about hugging and touching? And here I am not even wanting people to knock on my door.
Woah! Introversion confirmed x1000000.

So here's a fancy image.
personal-space1.jpg

I'm guessing yours is much larger than average.