• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Could having a well developed aux function cause so called "ambiversion"?

roastingmallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have never even considered this before, but when I entertained the thought it made perfect sense. I'm sure most of us consider ourselves somewhat "ambiverted". After all, no one is feeling "outwardly oriented" all the time, and vice versa. Even so, I had always balked at accepting the notion that ambiversion was more than a ploy for indecisive mofos to confuse everyone. I still feel you must be one or the other, but it makes sense that having a well developed aux function (which is necessarily of the opposite orientation of your dominant) could cause apparent ambiversion.

Thoughts?

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was just thinking about this today, actually.

Personally, when you look at someones MBTI type, I advocate looking at their cognitive functions, for example Si-Te, not at the four separate traits Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging, as this method generally leads to more stereotyping and inaccuracy.

With that in mind, what I realized today is that those with an Aux that is equal to or nearly equal to their Dom will behave differently than their "pure" or "classic" typemates.

For example, a "classic" ENFP filters everything through Ne first, so you get more silliness and boundless enthusiasm. A classic INFP filters everything through Fi first, so they tend to be more reflective and contemplative. As someone with nearly balanced Ne and Fi, I display both attitudes at some points but in general have a mixed demeanor, sort of like... really enthusiastic half-verbal contemplation :shrug:

Folderol

MBTI Type
INTP
really enthusiastic half-verbal contemplation :shrug:

This is funny. And it made me visualize what it could be like:

Stranger: What do you think about [insert controversial topic]?
You: Hmm... I don't have an opinion on that. *walks away*
Inside of your head: :yay: It is time to ponder! :happy2:

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
... And it made me visualize what it could be like:

Stranger: What do you think about [insert controversial topic]?
You: Hmm... I don't have an opinion on that. *walks away*
Inside of your head: :yay: It is time to ponder! :happy2:
Pretty much. Or I'll speak in half sentences: "Hmm, that's really... oh, but what if--!" Or change my mind mid-rant/rave.