• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Ti a right or left brained function and why?

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've always related to having strong stereotypical manifestations of the right-brained individual, but Thomson seems to define the referred cognitive elements a bit more intuitively (iow I don't think she is implying types are strictly left-brained and right-brained, but using hemispheres as a visual basis for explanation.) I understand we're wondering more about physical brain-activity. As for her book, I really suggest ignoring the stereotypical preferences of J vs P when reading it and give each type a new perspective. Her book is a bit too in-depth to be worrying about stereotypes, especially those which seem mostly influenced from life-induced propensities. There is more clarity of psychology in her explanation.

I also reworded the above post slightly.

I understand what she is trying to say and from what I understand, she's also trying to map the J/P to the brain sides based on that people who are a certain way are so because they have a preference for their left or their right hemisphere. I also think modern neuroscience has proved that model quite unrealistic and not very much in line with what we know today which further invaildates the connection she's trying to make in my opinion. Not becuse the idea she had itself was bad but I think she should have researched it more before she tried to make such connections.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I should remind everyone (and I keep forgetting myself), that this theory was actually not invented by Lenore Thomson. It is Jon Niednagel's "Brain Types": http://braintypes.com
He even has a table, which I've never seen before, where all of the dichotomies are assigned different meanings regarding the brain: legendsm.jpg

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Based on that list Im def a perceiver. But I can make that dancing ballerina rotate in both directions so I guess my brain is just awesome overall.

I

Infinite Bubble

I have this image of an INTJ brain from Nardi's research (all of it can be found online but hey, saves you the hassle) where the INTJ uses almost the entire right hemisphere:

View attachment 9223

Also, even though my supposed Jungian type is INFP and the F function is strongly correlated to some parts of the left brain, I also identify more with being right-brained person. I am not entirely sure how Nardi differentiates between Myers-Briggs typing which really just measures what Jung called the persona and actual cognitive functions.

Thanks. Yes, that theory really is much better than the others. I'm surprised at Feeling being correlated to the left brain though. I would have assumed it would be more T domain. Are J functions more left brain in general then?

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Double-post.

Attachments

• enfj.jpg
    enfj.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 6
  • enfp.jpg
    enfp.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 5
  • estj.jpg
    estj.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 6
  • estp.jpg
    estp.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 9
  • infp.jpg
    infp.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 6

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks. Yes, that theory really is much better than the others. I'm surprised at Feeling being correlated to the left brain though. I would have assumed it would be more T domain. Are J functions more left brain in general then?

Let me upload all of the brain scans I got and you can see yourself:
intj_zps8af322b6.png

infp_zps22d32e04.png

estp_zps313c530c.png

estj_zps4c115830.png

enfp_zpsf07b0143.png

enfj_zpse1d82974.png

Notice on the INFP scan how an area is strongly blue on the left hemisphere and how it relates to an ability to listen well to other people which I think is kind of crucial when we talk about the INFP brain mapping for example.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The apparent contradiction between the theories regarding "right" and "left" could be a result of each theory describing different layers of the brain (it is three dimensional, afterall).

Last edited:

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
intj_zps8af322b6.png

infp_zps22d32e04.png

estp_zps313c530c.png

estj_zps4c115830.png

enfp_zpsf07b0143.png

enfj_zpse1d82974.png

Notice on the INFP scan how an area is strongly blue on the left hemisphere and how it relates to an ability to listen well to other people which I think is kind of crucial when we talk about the INFP brain mapping for example.

I want to see the ENTP brain scan.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I want to see the ENTP brain scan.

Sorry these are the only ones available. I asked Nardi before but he told me to buy his book. Generally speaking it shouldn't differ much to the ENFP scan though because the aux is barely discernable on scans. Nardi said that there is for example almost no difference between an ENTJ and ESTJ brain.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sorry these are the only ones available. I asked Nardi before but he told me to buy his book. Generally speaking it shouldn't differ much to the ENFP scan though because the aux is barely discernable on scans. Nardi said that there is for example almost no difference between an ENTJ and ESTJ brain.

There are a couple of things to note. First, the diagrams are diagrams of individuals, not averaged diagrams of multiple individuals, so they may not reflect any kind of weighted average of a given type. Plus, when his book was published, he only had 3-5 scans per type (which really isn't enough to get a clear picture of what a weighted "average" for a given type would look like).

And, Nardi was telling that truth in that in the sample ESTJ scan in his book is very close to his sample ENTJ scan. The differences are mostly that F7, F3, T5 and C2 show a bit less use for the sample ENTJ compared to the sample ESTJ, but F4, C4, P4, T4, and O2 show a bit more activity for the ENTJ. Still, definitely not very close different, overall.

This makes some sense given that Ni is generally related to periodic use of a global brain state, and not associated with any particular neocortex region. While, conversely, Si is related to specialized use of particular regions (so Nardi's guess is that it results is more variation based upon experience among Si-doms than for some other types).

Note that Fi (halo regions), Ti (central regions), and Te(quick decision making regions) are associated with specific brain regions, while Se (tennis hop), Ni(zen), and Ne (Christmas tree) are associated with more global brain patterns. Si is associated with training and repetition leading to "burning in" of specific brain regions. Fe is less clear, but appears to be associated with T4 (about social feedback) and T3 (about analyzing aspects of speech) and maybe one or more inner analytical regions (kind of like Ti).

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All I know about Ti is that people notice it way more in me than my auxilary function, because there have been so many hordes of people who have called a TiNi ISTP, and just as many if not more hoards of people saying I'm INTP, but the truth is, INTP is an uber-logical personality type, and ISTP is a type that makes stuff work; actually, I'm not too good at either of those 2 things. That makes me an ITP incapable for good systematic logical analysis! Is it possible for ITPs to have inferior reasoning abilities, and if so, how would that manifest in the ITP's personality?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

Wait. You literally know the guy?

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
,ö2
Wait. You literally know the guy?

No? I just sent him an old-fashioned e-mail after I found out the pdf file containing some brain scans on his webpage asking if he were willing to upload more brain scans of the other types too.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those are not brain scans.

EEG is not precise enough to determine the location of brain "functions" even if we could prove that they exist at all (we cannot) or knew accurately how to measure them (we do not).

I asked Nardi before but he told me to buy his book.
Quelle surprise.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
,ö2

No? I just sent him an old-fashioned e-mail after I found out the pdf file containing some brain scans on his webpage asking if he were willing to upload more brain scans of the other types too.

Ha ha. What an entrepreneur.