• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

mbti: personality or cognition?

W

WALMART

i wonder how much of it lies in how you think and how much of it lies in how you come across.

thoughts?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
functions refer to different forms of cognition, different types refer to different types of cognition in a group of people with similar cognition in certain aspects(on functions), functions(certain forms of cognition) reflects on the personality to some degree, but there isnt 100% correlation, so you can really only make profiles about how the different functions stereotypically reflects on the personality since everyone is unique and most people dont fit 100% on these stereotypes, how much they fit, it really depends on the person, majority will fit them more. personality is much larger concept than what functions reflect on it.

MBTI focuses more on how the functions reflect on personality(type profiles are profiles about how they reflect on it stereotypically and even the MBTI code with J/P referring to E/I of the first J function is a good example of this in MBTI), while Jung's typology(and some others derived from it) focuses more on the cognition side of things.

/thread

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's more complicated than that because how you think and how you come across are calculated deceptions that both you and observer(s) tell each other and yourself(f/ves) so you can remain comfortable

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The cognition is the real core of the true personality, and our behavior in its natural manifestation should mirrir that cognition, though environmental circumstances could cause our behaviors to change.

So ya, do what Dario Nardi does, and type by the dynamics of one's thinking patterns, their congition.

There's actually a good thread on that topic, which I'm linking below:
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru.../23728-typology-philosophical-discipline.html

Folderol

MBTI Type
INTP
You can be multiple types this way, which I think is interesting and perhaps more accurate when viewing total personality. You will have the true self, then the version somebody would want to be, and then how others perceive them. How you want to be seen and how you want to grow also say something about what you value.

S

Society

hmm, i think it's a bit like describing someone's digestive bacteria.

it can certainly influence your entire body, their blood pressure, their moods, their habits, their athletic inclinations, their breathing habits...

but you can't quite say it describes you.