• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone consider themself an intro/extravert, but your functions suggest otherwise?

roastingmallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't know how many of you on here subscribe to a more Jungian MBTI, but I imagine it's a fair amount. My question is, do any of you consider yourself to be one way but your functions suggest otherwise? For example, a good friend of mine has clearly defined functions: Si Te Fi (Fe Ti Se Ni) Ne, so clear cut ISTJ, right? But I kind of thought she was an extravert, but the functions totally make sense for her. It's just that, she almost seems more extraverted than ME at times. She is always trying to get people together, whereas I'd prefer to screw around on the internet.

Does having an extraverted dominant function necessarily make you an extravert? Thoughts?

Anyone relate?

KDude

I consider myself an introvert, but I'm fighting off a lot of Se awareness/impulse. And by Se, I don't mean action. I mean messages and trends of outside happenings (or culture at large). I'm aware, not comfortably avoidant. Avoidance is an act of will. My criticism of the outside is thought out.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION] suggests that i'm Ne/Fi/Si/Te, which makes me an E dom who feels introverted because two of the functions I use the most are introverted ones, just like an introvert. I go through periods of both.

I

Infinite Bubble

I/E doesn't always correlate to how sociable they are. You can get more sociable Is and less sociable Es. There's a difference between a social extravert and have an extraverted function as dominant, although obviously there is a correlation.

[MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION] ENxP's particularly have the above confusion often. Can you think of a reason why you would start using your introverted functions more?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I/E doesn't always correlate to how sociable they are. You can get more sociable Is and less sociable Es. There's a difference between a social extravert and have an extraverted function as dominant, although obviously there is a correlation.

[MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION] ENxP's particularly have the above confusion often. Can you think of a reason why you would start using your introverted functions more?

"Need" the Si more than the Te perhaps? Or maybe that's just my perception since I've seemingly had a natural affliction for it.
I think Ne could be an aux in me too though, so maybe it's not a confusion.
Also, life outside of home requires a lot of E functions in general.. My job is an E job, my friends and supports tend to be ESFJ's, (and E's in general), I like to feel liked and fit in, I don't mind shifting my perspective when I'm around others, so perhaps when I get all that out of the way, I'm doing some compensation, and going into some derpy Fi/Si thing.

I'm also not so sure about people developing functions in perfect order, not getting to the fourth until they are in their 40's.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This brings two thoughts to mind. 1 subtypes 2 relative introversion/extraversion. Ie a natural introvert born and raised in new York will become more extraverted than a natural e born in Amish country (at least in many cases)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- ENFPs are notoriously more introverted than other extroverts
- Sp/Sx is the most introverted instinctual variant, so an extroverted Sp/Sx can look introverted

I am both, so, naturally, I almost always test as an introvert and in non-MBTI terms, I consider myself ambivert leaning more on the introverted side

Nicodemus

I don't know how many of you on here subscribe to a more Jungian MBTI, but I imagine it's a fair amount. My question is, do any of you consider yourself to be one way but your functions suggest otherwise? For example, a good friend of mine has clearly defined functions: Si Te Fi (Fe Ti Se Ni) Ne, so clear cut ISTJ, right? But I kind of thought she was an extravert, but the functions totally make sense for her. It's just that, she almost seems more extraverted than ME at times. She is always trying to get people together, whereas I'd prefer to screw around on the internet.

Does having an extraverted dominant function necessarily make you an extravert? Thoughts?

Anyone relate?
How can your friend be sure of the functions she uses?

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A person can be sociable with an introverted mindset, same as someone could be spending all day on the internet in an extraverted fashion.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION] suggests that i'm Ne/Fi/Si/Te, which makes me an E dom who feels introverted because two of the functions I use the most are introverted ones, just like an introvert. I go through periods of both.

This would indeed create something of an ambivert if such a function order could exist. But then how do you simultaneously support and reject an extraverted mindset? How can you be Ne dom yet not put your sensing function out in the back shed with the little hide-a-bed and the water spicket?

A

Anew Leaf

Whatever I am, I know that the fluffy Ne sugar encrusted bunny exterior that most people see, is merely the surface covering for what lies beneath. Like [MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION], my job requires that I be social with people. My friends are a mixed bag of probably 50/50 on the I-E line.

I grew up in an Ne household so there is a chance that I am more adept at its usage than other INFPs because of that. I could also be an ENFP who's Ne was suppressed because of having an ENFP mother and a very low i INTP father.

I think that in the end... all of these theories have some seeds of truth to them, but they are far too flexible to be a one size fits all tshirt that we can purchase on zazzle.

G

Glycerine

I am like that. I am a really strong Ni user but I think I am a Je dom. If I have a lot of alone time, I get sad but on the other hand, people exhaust me and I don't necessarily want to be around them (emotions, expectations, reactions).

Nicki

Retired
I am like that. I am a really strong Ni user but I think I am a Je dom. If I have a lot of alone time, I get sad but on the other hand, people exhaust me and I don't necessarily want to be around them (emotions, expectations, reactions).

Same here.