• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ts - Using values in decision making

STs/NTs - Are values-based decisions valid in your opinion?

• I'm ST and no they are not.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
STs and NTs - do you think that values-based decisions are valid?

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
For the purpose of this poll, use these guidelines:

1. Feelers, on the other hand, prefer to make decisions in accordance with their values, relationships and personal concerns. The best decision to a Feeler is one that seems like the right thing to do, and one that other people can support. (PersonalityDesk Blog: MBTI, Myers Briggs Personality Type, and Choosing a Career)

2. If you are an F or Feeler, you’ll base your decision making around your values and emotional clues. Feelers trust their gut and care about how actions make them feel or others feel. (Feelers and Thinkers at Work: Myers Briggs or MBTI and how you make decisions at work)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
What makes a decision valid? Why is one sort of decision always invalid, while one is always valid? I evaluate decisions individually -- one sort of decision may be fine in one context, but in another it's a bad idea.

Value-based decisions don't bother me if they can be made to work. If they can't be, then I don't believe the decision is valid at all. So, in my eyes, a decision must first satisfy T, then it's allowed to satisfy F. Hopefully, it can do both, but if it can't, T trumps.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Feelers, on the other hand, prefer to make decisions in accordance with their values, relationships and personal concerns.

I would say values are more Fi, whilst relationships are Fe. I do see a logical benefit on making decisions based on relationships, just because it may help you get what you want in the long run. But on personal values I find no reason for it.

The closest to a "value" based decision I would make would be one where I take my knowledge of my own future laziness on board, opting out of plans in the future because I know at the time I just "won't feel like it."

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think at some point it becomes a bit moot because T-oriented people eventually in life arrive at their own values. (Isn't their "impersonal" approach a value in itself?)

Or they come to possess beliefs that are "values" themselves, only they are more actually conclusions that were reached through life experience and some logic process but they still "look like values."

Or what of a T who, through logical thinking, realizes that because people are all different and everyone is equal and thus equally valid, that a values-based approach is just as valid as an impersonal approach and thus accepts personal values in the decision making process but only as a "T-style conclusion"?

At best, I can say an F takes an instinctive personal approach where two similar people in similar contexts could still arrive at two different "valid" decisions, vs an impersonal T approach where the same answer should always be reached as long as the situation and context and information is the same.

To answer the poll (without voting), I think that I judge a decision on its own merits, NOT whether it's a perfectly T or else an F approach. Sometimes it is logical for someone's values to be involved in a decision.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Clarify what you mean by "valid"?

I may disagree with someone's decisions, whether T-based or F-based, but that doesn't make them invalid...what does?

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I answered yes under the assumption that by "valid" you mean understandable and reasonable.

redacted

T and F are pretty dependent on each other.

a TJ, for example, would deem his decision good (Fi) if it made sense given the current environment (Te). i guess in some cases Te can make a snap decision without Fi, but any well thought out decision will have a good amount of Fi included. where else would any kind of conscious motivation come from?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
T and F are pretty dependent on each other.

a TJ, for example, would deem his decision good (Fi) if it made sense given the current environment (Te). i guess in some cases Te can make a snap decision without Fi, but any well thought out decision will have a good amount of Fi included. where else would any kind of conscious motivation come from?

Well, Te makes decisions based on criteria of a situation. If X needs to happen, then the TJ will make a decision that will try to make X happen, either deciding by experience and past sources (STJ) or by what they believe the current situation will change into (NTJ). In some of these cases, the criteria will come from Fi, while in other cases it has to come from an outside source (job, family, etc).

A TJ will turn indecisive if the only options available deeply violate Fi -- however, they usually don't have much of a problem violating Fe, because it's so low on their priorities.

Or something like that.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
values are necessary to tip the scales between two equally reasonable choices

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm NT and yes they are, especially if they're mine. :p

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Values are the deciding factor between two or more equally rational choices.

Even beyond that, one choice may be more rational simply because of values or other subjective factors.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I think it's clear from the poll so far that values are important. I am not sure why people question feeling type's values when Ti dominated types react the same way with their principles. They're two sides of the same coin except values pertain to a mutual group and principles can be for one person.
prin•ci•ple –noun
1. an accepted or professed rule of action or conduct: a person of good moral principles.
val•ue
1. the ideals, customs, institutions, etc., of a society toward which the people of the group have an affective regard. These values may be positive, as cleanliness, freedom, or education, or negative, as cruelty, crime, or blasphemy.

nightwatcher

MBTI Type
INXJ
Clarify what you mean by "valid"?

I may disagree with someone's decisions, whether T-based or F-based, but that doesn't make them invalid...what does?

This kind of thread easily slides into semantics. As pointed out, the definiation of “valid” is subjective, which is to say that, at the end of the day T’s are subjective too. Everyone is subjective. Deciding whether T or F is the more valid means of arriving at a decision is subjective. All you can really say is that Ts are more pragmatic than Fs; their 1st priority is usually on what works ahead of how people feel, not that they don’t care about how people feel.