• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Xe/Xi & social behavior

S

Society

is the I/E orientation of the functions meaningful in terms of social behavior - and therefore in their location for introverts/extroverts personalities - or are we simply over extending literary metaphors for the behavior of the function?

how does Ne, Se, Fe & Te actually relate to "getting charged by social energy"?

how doe Ni, Si, Fi & Ti actually relate to "getting charged when your alone"?

is Si/Se really related to social attitude, or are we simply saying that Se is "outside" while Si is "inside"?
what about Ni/Ne? are we simply saying that one is "concentrated" while the other is "all over the place"?
and Ti/Te? are we taking "bottom up" and "top down" to mean anything in regards to socializing?
Fe stems from the "others" and Fi from the "self", but do they actually related to wanting to be with others?

bottom line: is there substance to the I/E connection, or are we just getting stuck on metaphors?

A

Anew Leaf

Hmm, well, I know that I actually get very energized when I am able to converse with other Ne-ers. My energy level after a party wherein I don't get to bond with another Ne-er... is very low, and I typically drive home with no radio on. Conversely, if I was able to spend time with someone playing a lot of Ne Reindeer games... I am all charged up and happy. (Christmas party with family members, very few of whom are Ne dom or aux... was extremely draining and boring for me. Party with a lot of NP friends was extremely fun and energizing. I spent 4 hours talking nonstop to two ENTPs and an INTP.)

When I want to idea generate, I always need to start with just one thing, and from there I can go until the earth explodes. A lot of times I need to externalize the thoughts by speaking aloud or talking to someone about them, and then I am fine on my own. Whatever the case is, there is always some external component to my use of these things.

In contrast Fi is something I tend to keep to myself only. If I externalize it, it's usually in a form that no one else will see... or if they do, I am very protective of it in the sense that I don't want to be contradicted or told I am wrong.

I don't know if this is really answering anything you said, or if I am just regurgitating the same old same old, but here is my post. Done.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I get energized from one-on-one interactions, small group interactions and getting my Ti on alone. I also get energized by talking to you lot on the forum or in ventrillo; I'm much more energetic online than I am in person. In general, I'm very excitable and bouncy in private and in the public eye I'm aloof and decisive.

Large groups make me anxious and I don't like being around people I don't know very well. Huge, active crowds like those at concerts or dances will throw me into a panic attack. It's like a sensory overload and I can't deal.

I need to identify with the people I'm talking to in some degree in order to feel energized from our interactions. Maybe [MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION] is onto something in saying she needs her Ne reindeer games. The people I feel the most energized talking to tend to be either Ni or Ti doms. Fi and Te in particular tend to deplete me or make me anxious.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am energized by staying home, daydreaming in the morning, watching fantasy tv once a week, reading a book, talking to my cat, harassing my intj friend, and reading grumpy cat memes.