• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Difference Between Se and Si

Q

Qatie:)

as an ENFP my weakest function would be the sensing function
i am quite confused on the difference between Se and Si
there seems to be next to nothing written about it
if someone more knoledgeable than me could explain it, i would be very greatfull :bye:

Folderol

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not an expert, but here's what I've learned and my opinions on it.

Si - like internal cataloging. Something happens, you record it in detail, then stored it away internally. You can recall it for problem solving (how did we solve it last time?) or it may lead you to generate bias or things you favor (the last time I had a pie backed with brand X's soft crust I remember [sensory detail]... = this is how pies are baked... = this is how a pie should be baked and/or this may be a trait that always applied to pies). I guess I can see it like "information comes at you > analyze > interpret > distill > now you remember the original object/information/type of thing with this "profile" applied to it". Am I making sense?

Se - more literal, action based, objective. Maybe taking things in at high detail and face value, looking for sensory experiences like roller coasters, scary movies, or even doing drugs/mind altering. I think the difference is that Si would "idealize" something, like (ridiculous but hard to explain otherwise) when a person looks at a red car with Si they think "Cars in my mind are always purple, therefore that moving vehicle isn't a car.", paying attention to what they "should" be sensing or have sensed and seemed correct/numerous/preferrable. Se would be like "That's a car and I can tell because it has wheels, it's moving, it looks like other cars, it's made by Ford, etc".

Q

Qatie:)

so are you saying that Se is more like athletisism and Si is like being sentamental?
Or are you saying Se is objective and Si relates things?

Folderol

MBTI Type
INTP
I think Se is more objective but they are both more concerned with noticing concrete traits, like the 5 senses to draw information. Si is like using your built up experiences of sensing things in the past and then comparing when you have new sensory experiences, whereas Se doesn't really care about that, it just focuses on what it's being given in the moment. I guess you could say that Si is kinda sentimental in that way, maybe more reflective. Se would be more spontaneous and face value/the present. I'm not heavy Se or Si though, so take it with a grain of salt! Here's a youtube video.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The the two are completely different. I will say more later.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
if someone more knoledgeable than me could explain it, i would be very greatfull :bye:

Like Highlander says, the two are completely different. Se is extroverted and thus characterised by the urge towards action. Se is the urge to explore and experiment with the world around you, based upon what is actually there (as opposed to what things represent, which is more Ne). In some ways, Se is a playful function.

Si is introverted, thus contemplative and restraining. It is the urge to plan ahead and review what is already known, all with an eye to assure ones goals can be completed with the minimum of risk.

S

Society

first of all good news: your baby-Si is alive and well, it just more often then not takes a different form, and you and I know it as Ne.`

we (Si-Ne users) are mental collectors. we collect everything - details, memories, associations, experiences, and patterns. we don't notice that much because we ARE the collection, it is our framework for perceiving anything.

so when we collect something new, our context is ourselves, we interpret it through our collection. when it is a new pattern, our mind sends it to our collection of patterns, and its going to breed (because patterns are sluts) and create all sort of new patterns. that is our Ne. just the same, when we gain a new experience, we reflect upon it based on our past experience.

that experienced based level of interpretation? that is our Si, and its not very loud right now within our minds, because our minds - as Ps - are oriented towards listening to the maximum amount of stimulation, which we get from Ne plenty.

Si provides very little of that, the reason others pay more attention to it is because it provides them with something that they need - a mental order, cohesive clear-cut answers, something is what you have learned about it from your experience. but your mind will seek it from time to time, and as it does, that little Si voice is going to grow and get louder, and you'll have an easier time hearing what it says.

hrm, wait a second..
*gets an Si-full phone call from ENFP mother in her mid 50s*
*realizes this is going to happen to him*
*curls up in a corner chanting away the Si spirits*

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Physical reality lies outside and is ephemeral.
Physical reality resides inside and is timeless.

Both are different from the operation of your senses.

Om.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Se, I always picture all this constant flow of information raining down on people, always taking in everything that's currently happening within a certain time frame. Associations are fast and fluid. Makes them more fast paced, fun, and up to date. Downside is not always thinking before acting. (sp's and enxj's).

Si builds up over time. "This is like that, this is different than that, this works. This doesn't work." Still needs to be in the moment on some level to collect the information. These people tend to think before they act because they have to refer back to previous connections to find out about the best decisions. Slower pace, more thorough and calculated, and in control. Downside is getting stuck in outdated routines. (SJ's and inxp's)

A

Anew Leaf

Se, I always picture all this constant flow of information raining down on people, always taking in everything that's currently happening within a certain time frame. Associations are fast and fluid. Makes them more fast paced, fun, and up to date. Downside is not always thinking before acting. (sp's and enxj's).

Si builds up over time. "This is like that, this is different than that, this works. This doesn't work." Still needs to be in the moment on some level to collect the information. These people tend to think before they act because they have to refer back to previous connections to find out about the best decisions. Slower pace, more thorough and calculated, and in control. Downside is getting stuck in outdated routines. (SJ's and inxp's)

I like your distinctions as they sound similar to mine. (Si)

;)

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Si tells me that Se is fast cars and skateboarders. *crosses arms stubbornly*.

Also Music Videos are becoming wierder by the day.

Twas better in the olden times :dry:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Introverted sensing is focused on what happened in the past and the individual's specific memory related to that. It trusts familiarity. Depth vs breadth. Extraverted sensing is focused on what is happening right now, using the five senses. Breadth vs. depth. Think of it as Si is a specific and precise filtered recollection compared to what is going on now and Se is immediate unfiltered sensation on what is going on now.

W

WALMART

You put that very well, thank you.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
so are you saying that Se is more like athletisism and Si is like being sentamental?
Or are you saying Se is objective and Si relates things?

More like this.

Physical reality lies outside and is ephemeral.
Physical reality resides inside and is timeless.

Both are different from the operation of your senses.

Om.

^And more like this.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Si seems to be similar to imprinting. A Si person who grew up having pancakes on Sunday morning will tend to continue to desire this pattern. They tend to have strong, internalized opinions and evaluations of sensory, concrete things. It tends to be an excellent function for classical music in which there is a need to have an internalized concept of the ideal sensory experience. Si seems to be very aware of details. If a chair is moved a little out of place, a strongly Si person could tell by looking at the room. Feeling strongly attached or repulsed by specific sensory details regardless of context could also be a Si expression.

Se is more in the moment and is more likely to try new things and be adventurous with sensory experiences. It may tend to have a wider range of preferences which are more easily changed. It is not as easily imprinted upon with specific preferences. It's ideal is probably more experiential. For the Se person, the Sunday morning pancakes could be more about the experience in that moment and more aware of everything that is happening externally. A strongly Se person could tend to be attracted to sensory experiences that have a continual flow like improvisation in the performing arts, race car driving, or other types of sports that happen in the moment and are subject to change by their nature.

I tend to be pretty weak in both areas, but my type has inferior Se. I find it expressed in myself by being able to be in the moment, but not having many internalized sensory preferences. I try to integrate into my "Ni" by seeing the sights, sounds, and smells of nature to be metaphors for deeper meaning.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
both are sensory perception, but they differ on what is the decisive factor on whether perceptions get to consciousness and on what decides the intensity of the perception.

For Se this decisive factor is the intensity of the object, brightness of a light, redness of the rose etc etc.

Si on the other hand works entirely differently in this matter. Si sort of projects the subjective factor onto the external world, meaning that its more focused on what the thing in the external world evokes inside of you. For Si the intensity of the inner experience released by the external world is the decisive factor, not the intensity of the object.

also, with Si these "projections" onto the external world come through intuitions(extraverted intuition) and this is basically how Si and Ne are linked, i like to think them as two sides of the same coin.

Ni works with Se by painting a big picture and possibilities over time for these Se perceptions, but Ni incorporates other aspects to it aswell, like Ne incorporates other aspects to itself too in these "projections".

Rache

MBTI Type
ISTJ
This is a bit of an old thread, but i didn't want to start a new thread on the exact same topic. I'm trying to learn about the difference between Si and Se. Saw a quote from Bob Marley yesterday:
"Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet."

Is it safe to say Si people feel the rain, Se people just get wet?

W

WALMART

This is a bit of an old thread, but i didn't want to start a new thread on the exact same topic. I'm trying to learn about the difference between Si and Se. Saw a quote from Bob Marley yesterday:
"Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet."

Is it safe to say Si people feel the rain, Se people just get wet?

Se users are known as incredibly earthy, that'd be something were it true.