• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

intp/istp differences

W

WALMART

i have seen threads in a similar vein, but none this explicit in intent.

i once typed myself xntp, but have recently decided istp fits better. i have a fair grasp on the differences, but would like an official consensus.

anything you can think of, feed me.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i have seen threads in a similar vein, but none this explicit in intent.

i once typed myself xntp, but have recently decided istp fits better. i have a fair grasp on the differences, but would like an official consensus.

anything you can think of, feed me.

I thought entp fit...but I'm not sure how well I am at typing. I know what ISTP's are like but not ENTP's. <--STILL!

The only real reason I thought it fit was your sense of humor seemed very NTP like...but what do I know? lol :shrug:

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
This is rather short, but have you seen it before?

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
For what it is worth: I get an xNTP vibe from you. ENTP, most likely.
I detect a heavy presence of Fe in your posts.

W

WALMART

I thought entp fit...but I'm not sure how well I am at typing. I know what ISTP's are like but not ENTP's. <--STILL!

The only real reason I thought it fit was your sense of humor seemed very NTP like...but what do I know? lol :shrug:

For what it is worth: I get an xNTP vibe from you. ENTP, most likely.
I detect a heavy presence of Fe in your posts.

Yeah :shrug: I frequent Ventrilo quite a bit, and pretty much everyone there from the start said they didn't get much an ENTP vibe from me. Recently I have been hanging out with a veteran of the site, and she was pretty convinced I am ISTP. When we relayed the information to everyone else in Ventrilo, they said it made a good bit of sense. As I did research, it just felt more and more 'right'. I am curious though, fowl macabre, of my Fe use. Can you link me any examples?

This is rather short, but have you seen it before?

I hadn't seen that before. Thank you, an interesting read. I see a lot of confusion goes on when ISTP's type themselves. I wonder why that is? I think people that are geared more towards analytical thought, such as myself, automatically attach themselves to the 'rational' stigmata of the NT's.

A

Anew Leaf

Yeah :shrug: I frequent Ventrilo quite a bit, and pretty much everyone there from the start said they didn't get much an ENTP vibe from me. Recently I have been hanging out with a veteran of the site, and she was pretty convinced I am ISTP. When we relayed the information to everyone else in Ventrilo, they said it made a good bit of sense. As I did research, it just felt more and more 'right'. I am curious though, fowl macabre, of my Fe use. Can you link me any examples?

I hadn't seen that before. Thank you, an interesting read. I see a lot of confusion goes on when ISTP's type themselves. I wonder why that is? I think people that are geared more towards analytical thought, such as myself, automatically attach themselves to the 'rational' stigmata of the NT's.

From our lovely conversations that we have had, I agree with the ISTP assessment. :)

Regardless of type, you're awesome and fun to talk to. That's all that really matters.

/passed 6th planet from the sun's test.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP

I have a tendency to quickly box people. You showed up on my radar as xNTP.
As for Fe usage: Just the basics of your communication style.

Is it or isn't it? Beats me.

*shrugs*

W

WALMART

From our lovely conversations that we have had, I agree with the ISTP assessment. :)

Regardless of type, you're awesome and fun to talk to. That's all that really matters.

/passed 6th planet from the sun's test.

:saturned:

I have a tendency to quickly box people. You showed up on my radar as xNTP.
As for Fe usage: Just the basics of your communication style.

Is it or isn't it? Beats me.

*shrugs*

At the very least I am Ti dom. I am beginning to wonder the true differences between Ne/Se... perhaps this thread should have been on that, particularly for the wider appeal. Oh well.

A

Anew Leaf

:saturned:

At the very least I am Ti dom. I am beginning to wonder the true differences between Ne/Se... perhaps this thread should have been on that, particularly for the wider appeal. Oh well.

:) Well, I have attempted to play Ne Reindeer games with you, and you are game for enjoying what I say... but you don't join in like I am used to. :sadbanana: So that is why I thought you were ISTP instead.

W

WALMART

For Whoever:

Of all the Improviser types, ISTPs most look like and most often identify with the Theorist temperament, often reporting preferences for INTP or for INTJ on assessments.

Interaction Styles: ISTPs have a Chart-the-Course Interaction Style, which goes with a desire to enter a situation with some sort of course of action in mind. It doesn't have to be a detailed plan and ISTPs often seem planful as they analyze a situation in anticipation of what is likely to happen. ISTPs and INTJs share this Interaction Style and so would look alike in that way.

The Chart-the-Course style often seems like the Strategic intelligence that is an important aspect of the Theorist temperament pattern and ISTPs often relate to the description of the Theorist temperament over the Improviser temperament. This is especially true when the Improviser description focuses too much on freedom and spontaneity.

Temperament: Differentiating Improviser versus Theorist is key. Improviser desire for skillful performance often leads ISTPs to identify with the Theorist's core need for competence. In presenting the two temperaments, it helps to contrast the difference between skillful performance as a value and competence as a core need. For the Improviserâ„¢ skill often comes from the drive to action and they hate being clumsy or awkward. They get involved in an activity, get caught up in the pure joy of doing, and thus become skilled. Theorists need to feel competent and often want a measure of competence before they even do something. To practice or "do" means failure and that often can strike at the core need.

Roles: ISTPs, INTPs, and INTJs share a desire to act independently and tend to take pragmatic roles with others, seeking autonomy. This makes the differentiation harder to discover.

Language: It helps to listen for the concrete language of the ISTP, which often creates a picture in the listener's mind. Such language is likely to be full of specific examples and stories. INTP and INTJ language tends to reference abstract concepts with a focus on precision. ISTPs often get at the essence of something rather succinctly, whereas, INTPs and INTJ go into more depth.

Interest: ISTPs are more likely to zero in on someone's motives than INTPs or INTJs (unless in the business of understanding people!)

Similar Cognitive Dynamics: ISTPs and INTPs have the same Leading Role process (dominant) of introverted Thinking and are likely to approach situations with an analytical perspective and like to know the principles of how things work. The difference shows up in their Supporting Role processes (auxiliary). An INTP described his preferred work style as exploring problems and sub-problems (Ne), while his ISTP colleague described a tactical trouble shooting approach with a focus on getting the task done (Se).

Also, ISTP's frequently engage their Relief Role process (tertiary) of introverted iNtuiting and enjoy looking at whole systems and patterns and getting a sense of what will happen in the future.

W

WALMART

:) Well, I have attempted to play Ne Reindeer games with you, and you are game for enjoying what I say... but you don't join in like I am used to. :sadbanana: So that is why I thought you were ISTP instead.

I r too serious, and rarely in my true element. I am pretty settled on ISTP.

I mean... fucking Han Solo.

A

Anew Leaf

I r too serious, and rarely in my true element. I am pretty settled on ISTP.

I mean... fucking Han Solo.

I know!! :wub: I have had a crush on that man since I first saw those glorious movies. ISTPs are the sex. Rock it, my friend. Rock it. :)

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ime,

ISTPs tend to be more ''cool''. INTPs tend to be more eloquent.

INTPs love to play with words, ISTPs tend to get annoyed with that.

ISTPs tend to be street smarts. INTPs tend to be book smarts.

ISTPs tend to be more sx, while INTPs tend to be more sp.

W

WALMART

Ime,

ISTPs tend to be more ''cool''. INTPs tend to be more eloquent.

INTPs love to play with words, ISTPs tend to get annoyed with that.

ISTPs tend to be street smarts. INTPs tend to be book smarts.

ISTPs tend to be more sx, while INTPs tend to be more sp.

Good list.

Once, when attempting to discern the difference for me, a question was asked: "Physical labor - yay or nay?"

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Once, when attempting to discern the difference for me, a question was asked: "Physical labor - yay or nay?"
challenge-denied.jpg

Heh. Interesting.

R

Riva

Regargding the Ne Se difference - from what I have noticed of xnts and xstps - Ne deals with the environment/peope and converstions using/enjoying imagination, whereas Se is more focused/get-it-done and therefore less likely to explore imagination and more likely to be goal oriented in doing things and conversations.
:) Well, I have attempted to play Ne Reindeer games with you
This Ne.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Below are brief descriptions of the INTP and ISTP personality types.

INTP - Designer Theorizer

The theme for INTPs is designing and configuring.

Talents lie in grasping the underlying principles of something and defining its essential qualities.

Seek to define precisely and bring coherence to systems based on the pattern of organization that is naturally there.

Easily notice inconsistencies.

Enjoy elegant theories and models for their own sake and for use in solving technical and human problems.

Interested in theorizing, analyzing, and learning.

Thrive on exploring, understanding, and explaining how the world works.

source - http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/16Types/INTP.cfm

ISTP - Analyzer Operator

The theme for the ISTP is action-driven problem solving.

Talents lie in operating all kinds of tools and instruments and using frameworks for solving problems.

Keen observers of the environment, they are a storehouse of data and facts relevant to analyzing and solving problems.

Thrive on challenging situations and having the freedom to craft clever solutions and do whatever it takes to fix things and make them work.

Take pride in their skill and virtuosity, which they seem to effortlessly acquire.

source - http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/16Types/ISTP.cfm

Which box do you believe based on this information to be a better fit for yourself?

Also if you want I can go more in depth and post what brain processes the 2 types prefer!

W

WALMART

Below are brief descriptions of the INTP and ISTP personality types.

Which box do you believe based on this information to be a better fit for yourself?

Also if you want I can go more in depth and post what brain processes the 2 types prefer!

Both =\

It'd be cool to have that in writing for reference, if you wouldn't mind. Perhaps in the future it'll help someone else out too!

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I also find this information to be detailed yet possibly more highly relevant to describing INTPs and ISTPs.

INTP Theme

For Designer Theorizers, life is a process of becoming an expert. And they almost never feel quite expert enough. They enjoy reflecting on how things work, why they work that way, and what makes them not work and then really solving a problem, not just fixing it for now. They also enjoy generating ideas and seeing new patterns and elegant connections. These new connections activate their talent for design and continual redesign. The clarity they bring to defining problems as well as words helps them go straight to the essence of a problem, a situation, or a concept.

Their thought processes seem random, yet they are logically coherent. It is as if they hold a matrix in their minds with multiple connections, and their conceptualization and design work often involves crossing the arbitrary boundaries of thought and disciplines to activate the imagination and picture the patterns. Making discoveries is a better form of nourishment than food, for without these, their intellect would starve. These are the people who reflect on the process of thinking itself and seek to produce an elegant design to solve social as well as technical problems. Flashes of insight truly energize them.

In the interpersonal realm, they also engineer connections—connecting people with new ideas and information and sometimes with others. For being such basically solitary people, they have a surprising ability to network people with people, usually around expertise. They know who knows what and how well.

Their most satisfying relationships often come from sharing knowledge. Even then, they frequently detach to analyze a situation or problem before re-engaging. Others often misread this detachment as not caring, when often the analysis and problem solving are done on behalf of the other person.

They often say they struggle with attending to the physical world—like filing papers, dealing with repairs, deciding what to wear, or maintaining their own bodies. Even more, finding the right words to use to convey their clarity of thought often eludes them.

source - http://www.careerplanner.com/Berens-Nardi/INTP-Themes-Relationships.cfm

ISTP Theme

For Analyzer Operators, life is a process of actively solving problems. They enjoy observing how things work, figuring out the best way to solve whatever problem is at hand. That problem might be as basic as fixing something broken or as extensive as heart surgery or starting a business. They have a talent for figuring out what tools to use and the best approach to take to accomplish something. They want to do it so it works the first time and hate having to rework something.

They need to be independent, to do things on their own or to be free to not do them. To not have the freedom to act on their hunches or intuitions is a fate worse than death since it means not using their tactical, problem-solving talent.

Naturally curious, they seek to understand a situation, frequently analyzing and taking things apart to figure out how they work. Then they quickly grasp the most expedient solution, one that will fix it. Once they figure out the immediate next step, they want to move on it, see what happens, and then move on to the next challenge. Others see the fearless, just-do-it attitude and miss the analysis behind the scenes.

Their thought processes tend to be analytical and observational. They quickly scan the environment for inconsistencies, changes, and new information. Then they adapt and work around whatever obstacles appear. And they rarely work on just one thing at a time. No theory or explanation is accepted as the “truth” as there are always more discoveries to make, ways to do it better. They enjoy sharing those discoveries, showing others the techniques that work and the shortcuts that keep things simple. They don’t like change just for change sake, but they do like variety.

In the interpersonal arena, they like to help people solve problems and frequently are called on for help in fixing things. They engage more by doing things with those they care about than by expressions of feeling.

For the most part, they go to great lengths to keep situations on an even keel, to not offend. They sometimes absorb emotional experiences that can often have a very powerful effect on them. This can be unsettling until they can detach enough to figure it all out.

source - http://www.careerplanner.com/Berens-Nardi/ISTP-Themes-Relationships.cfm