• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What MBTI type is best suited for detective/espionage work?

DoctorCroupy#9

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
(Hi! first post here :) ) Okay, I've always wondered about this, and I always get different answers on it. What do you guys think?

R

Riva

For espionage - the type that doesn't go around asking about it probably.

For Detective work - xSTx types probably. I am inclined to say xSTPs.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

S

Sniffles

Do you mean seriously, or in the fictional sense? There's quite a contrast between the two.

DoctorCroupy#9

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh I was talking fictionally. Probably should've specified. I'm asking because it feels like every detective/spy in the media has a different type. Heck, I feel like Sherlock goes through total type changes just depending on who's playing him.

S

Sniffles

In the fictional sense, I'd say ENTP, ESTP, ENTJ, and INTJ are the most suited. Or at least I see them most frequently.

DoctorCroupy#9

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh okay, that all makes sense. Just out of curiosity, how about nonfictional? Would it be a huge change from the fictional common types, and if so, why is that?

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Detective: INTx types; if I INTJ, their Se should be well developed
Espionage: Something with a weak Feeling (best if the the fourth function is Fe, not Fi); I'll go with ExTJ; IxTPs are all a bunch of no-good procrastinators; INTJs might work unless they fall in love--then they're terrible for the job

S

Sniffles

Oh okay, that all makes sense. Just out of curiosity, how about nonfictional? Would it be a huge change from the fictional common types, and if so, why is that?

Non-fiction, espionage largely amounts to a combination of diplomacy by other means and data mining. It's both extremely boring and yet dangerous at the same time, especially if you're a double-agent who maybe betrayed. At best, the popular image we have of espionage is based partially on fact - that is how it was conducted during WWI and WWII. Check out the PM I sent you.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Seriously, people?

That entire area of work was MADE FOR ISTJs!

ISTJ.

ISTJ.

ISTJ.

You can't have it both ways! If Ns are "sensotards" and can't be bothered with mundane detail or following procedures, then they're going to suck ass at detective or espionage work. ENTP might be one of the top five worst types for that line of work!

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well ahem, I think INFJ's would be great at it. ;)

W

WALMART

Actually, ISTJ sounds perfect. Other types would likely slip without strong Si/Te.