• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why SJ types are not as common as many think

karmacoma

I began questioning the commonality of SJ types, especially ISTJ and ISFJ, very early on in my study of type theory (I do still contend that ESTJ and ESFJ are somewhat common, though I think they are fewer in number compared to some E__P types, especially ENTP and ESFP).

Let's consider the basic contentions of S and J: they are regulated, controlled, decisive, respectful of tradition, aware of their environment, aware of common sense, and aware of their appearance.

Now, let's consider what we see at the average school and the average mall and the average Walmart as we keep in mind Voltaire's brilliant paraphrased quote, "Common sense is not that common."

Most of the teenagers I teach, most of the people I see at the mall, and most of the people I see at the average Walmart, are like this:

* fat
* loud
* spontaneous
* argumentative
* don't give too much of a crap about school or following the rules
* wear in-your-face t-shirts that reflect their favorite popular culture icons
* don't seem to notice how disheveled and goofy they look
* can't follow rules that well
* hate reflecting or writing about much of anything
* see global truths, but not any introverted or detailed depth
* daydream and spazz out constantly
* don't notice much of anything about their environment
* have an indifferent or hostile attitude toward tradition
* can't sit still to save their lives

I mean, seriously? Are we so wrapped up in our imaginative heads that we don't notice these things when we should? Now that I have stopped trying to daydream as much as possible wherever I go, reality has finally reached me. SJs are NOT everywhere. Common sense is NOT common - Voltaire was right. Most kids are NOT proficient in Si. Most kids do NOT respect authority very much, and neither do adults, though maturity helps this to an extent (types balance more as they get older).

I think ENTP and ESFP are the most common types in our nation right now. We want our freedom, we want our fun, we want our excitement, we want our instant gratification, and we want escape from reality - few people NATURALLY want to maintain boring tradition, become accountants, clean their homes, or follow and plod over every detail in school (or even at work!) unless FORCED by their job requirements.

Thoughts?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Ive often pondered this myself.

Of course...you have taken a big risk here since you dont state any statistical evidence for such a claim. Most wont look beyond that.

But this would ignore the observation that the original 'statistics taken from Gifts Differing, (which place the numerical population of SJ types at the top percentage), are themselves little more than the appropriation of what Katharine Mary-Briggs and Isabel Briggs-Myers assumed to be true.

Ive also realised that SJ types, (well most types really), are very malleable to their environment, especially the one they grew up in. So much so that an SJ now will appear far different than one from the 1950's.

In any case I too have noticed the same traits you have. Ive often wondered really...just how you can tell a stupid Intuitive from a stupid Sensor? Afterall that, to me, is the biggest definer between individuals....intelligence. Although not as an indication for type.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I think some of the terms could be misleading. For instance, swap "common sense" with "peer consensus", and "tradition" with "culture". My understanding is that these are interchangeable for SJs. Likewise the "authorities" for teenagers probably aren't their teachers or parents in this day and age. Culturally teenagers are taught that teachers and parents are largely untrustworthy and/or irrelevant, in the West at least. So their authority figures are unlikely to be the traditional ones.

Add in generation Y tendencies and do you still think SJs aren't that common?

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Now, let's consider what we see at the average school and the average mall and the average Walmart as we keep in mind Voltaire's brilliant paraphrased quote, "Common sense is not that common."

Most of the teenagers I teach, most of the people I see at the mall, and most of the people I see at the average Walmart, are like this:

Have you considered that your sample locations are biased? Highschool and Walmart? Really?

When I was in Highschool, I wore Hot Topic clothes and dyed my hair black. No joke. Most people are intensely different as adults than as they were when they were teenagers. I was a good student in Highschool, valedictorian and all that... But I was fucking weird as shit and moody as shit. Teenagers are hormonal and crazy, and their personalities are still rapidly changing and developing.

How about we go the other direction and use a prestigious college campus as the sample location? I'd typically see physically fit, academically driven people. Sure you get the occasional student running to class in their pajamas, but the majority are well-dressed. And frankly, the average college class' focus on memorization and standardized testing is an SJ dream.

And Walmart? Forgive my lack of political correctness, but as store choices go... You may have picked the most blatantly trailer-trash of any chain. Let's do another 180 and go to Saks Fifth Avenue. Walk in there and tell me that you're bulleted list applies to ANY of them. I'm not suggesting that they're all SJs... Just that your bulleted list may have some sort of correlation to your choice of location.

TLDR; Biased sample. Your argument is invalid.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
TLDR; Biased sample. Your argument is invalid.

True, but that can easily be turned right around onto the MBTI statistics that claim they are a majority. All anyone can be sure of is that a lot of people assumed a lot of things about another lot of people.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I think you're assuming too much about people. Not all SJ's are well-adjusted. I agree with the statement that "common sense is not that common," but being an SJ has nothing to do with common sense.

Let me pick out a few traits that I feel are not related to whether or not someone might be an SJ.
* fat
* loud
* argumentative
As you can see, I only removed a few sentences. The rest I feel do not relate to anything other than people being annoying slobs. While it's nice that you think of all SJ's being well-adjusted human beings, this is not necessarily the case. Also, Walmart is not the best of places to look for people with common sense. ;)

Most kids do NOT respect authority very much, and neither do adults, though maturity helps this to an extent (types balance more as they get older).
What does Si have to do with respecting authority?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just because someone is SJ deosn't mean thay can't be an independent thinker and similarly just because someone is SP doesn't mean that they are incapable of envisioning a profound metamorphosis for the future. I think these stereotypes were made by ignorant and retarded wannabe intuitive pigs.

karmacoma

Good discussion, all. I was prepared for this to become something of a flame-fest, but glad to see opinions being shared in a neutral tone.

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I honestly after reading your posts think that your biases as a high school teacher are really shining through, and this definitely comes across as an; “I hate teenagers, they’re nothing like me and I have to rationalise it argument.” But I’ll endeavour to dissect anyway.

Let's consider the basic contentions of S and J: they are regulated
No food is regulated, products, exports, imports are regulated. People are not regulated.
, controlled, decisive,
controlled I will give you in mature SJ adults, not in teenagers. Decisive not necessarily, you don’t have to go far to find anecdotes of SFJs who don’t act out of fear of hurting someone.
respectful of tradition,
Far to lose a definition; respectful of their traditions, not necessarily everyones.
aware of their environment,
presumptive argument, it implies you understand what they are thinking at all times, maybe they notice and don’t care.
aware of common sense,
I’m not going to step on this landmine
and aware of their appearance.
Considering how teenagers are well known for trying to keep up with fashion trends im confused by this one….

I positively adore the fact that you used Voltaire, an ENTP in the same argument as you call them; fat, loud, belligerent, shallow ignoramuses. Candide is a fantastic example of what an angry ENTP’s mind looks like.

the next part I’m going to refute as an ENTP, I would defend the ESFP’s as well but I know little theoretically about them as I use typology for more self-absorbed purposes, and could possibly impose crass stereotypes on them.

not indicative of type, and the usual descriptions of ENTP’s runs along the lines of tall, thin, disproportionate body lengths and awkward looking.
Indicative of immature extrovert, or insecure introvert
* spontaneous
Applies to all Perceivers
* argumentative
You have been around this site have you not? Very few ENTP’s and they still manage to have such earth shattering arguments such as what’s my type? When there is miscommunication, there will be argument. as any forum on the web can attest to.
You are American are you not? Because I’m fairly sure that ever since the revolution you guys haven’t given two hoots about rules and regulations. Always freedom, individuality and all that, this seems quite cultural.
Indicative of Fe, the whole everyone is doing this therefore I should do this to be cool.
This is just plain prejudiced this is how they look to you. If anything this is a comment on an older SJ looking at younger SJs and being confused by them, a generational divide.
Repeat
Because teenagers of other generations are well known for their reflection and writing ability.
This is really just a fancy way of saying they watch the news media. As for global truths that implies that the world agrees on something, which as far as I know has never actually happened.
Prejudice again, this sound more like you are having problems connection with the children in your class. To define an entire generation as such is ludicrous
This is simply being human, we don’t notice because we don’t care. And it doesn’t mean there ENTP’s, it means you care and they don’t so you notice it.
You are going to have to be more specific than that, but my guess is your talking about Political Correctness, as in say not caring about Thanksgiving because you spent far more time killing and persecuting them, them having parties?
Teenagers are one giant chemical plant, if you had to go through it again I doubt that you would be sitting still either.

I mean, seriously? Are we so wrapped up in our imaginative heads that we don't notice these things when we should? Now that I have stopped trying to daydream as much as possible wherever I go, reality has finally reached me. SJs are NOT everywhere. Common sense is NOT common - Voltaire was right. Most kids are NOT proficient in Si. Most kids do NOT respect authority very much, and neither do adults, though maturity helps this to an extent (types balance more as they get older).

Again this is really just a cultural thing. Americans as far as I can tell have always been suspicious of people in authority, the rights of the individual has always preceded that of the collective, now is the format and expression changing? Probably but the message and the attitude is the same it has always been.

I think ENTP and ESFP are the most common types in our nation right now. We want our freedom, we want our fun, we want our excitement, we want our instant gratification, and we want escape from reality - few people NATURALLY want to maintain boring tradition, become accountants, clean their homes, or follow and plod over every detail in school (or even at work!) unless FORCED by their job requirements.

This isn’t even a comment on typology anymore, it’s a rant on the sociological and psychological make up on the current and future makeup of the USA, you seem a little confused, and I’m beginning to think this has more to do with blowing off steam.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I began questioning the commonality of SJ types, especially ISTJ and ISFJ, very early on in my study of type theory (I do still contend that ESTJ and ESFJ are somewhat common, though I think they are fewer in number compared to some E__P types, especially ENTP and ESFP).

Let's consider the basic contentions of S and J: they are regulated, controlled, decisive, respectful of tradition, aware of their environment, aware of common sense, and aware of their appearance.

* fat
* loud
* spontaneous
* argumentative

Thoughts?

Most "statistics" claim that SJs are about 1/3 of our population. One out of every three is not an overwhelmingly lot...they are still evenly matched with SPs, and together NTs and NFs are about as numerous as the SJs. So, without even changing the evidence, re-examining context helps. :)

I think it's not hard to imagine that about 1/3 of students, balanced with peer pressure, tend to stay away from crazy situations and often focus on their work, especially quiet ones who don't verbally express this. Meanwhile, the other 2/3 (a majority of students) are doing something else.

karmacoma

The post applies to adults as well, not just teenagers. The majority of the adults at the mall and Walmart act this way, too. I also see the tendencies at the gym, although obviously there are more fit people who can be found at those places as well.

karmacoma

Cimarron, I have seen those statistics, but I simply don't believe them. What people test as is not necessarily their true type - as a self-testing instrument, there is an inherent subjective bias in MBTI testing. I buy into Niednagel's and Socionics' contention that ENTP is the most common type by far (Niednagel also believes ESFP is quite common). I do not know many people at all who fit the SJ descriptions well - they may like to test out that way because their jobs force them to use those functions more than they naturally would.

justsayin

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm kind of new to this, but I look at SJ differently than it seems you all are. The way I have seen it play out it in several close people is less of a general "steady and responsible" tone, but more a religous adherance to "the right way." I find it exasperating.

"The right way", rule based living, if you will, is dependent upon upbringing. Those kids at Walmart who are acting just like their parents may very well be SJ. Why? Because they are acting the way they have been shown to act. The rule is when you are at the store with your friends, you buy a coke and sit on the bench in the front throwing rocks at tires. It's just what you do.

It isn't like SJ's suddenly have a higher moral calling. The few I know have a hard time deviating from what they know to be true. Whether or not it actually IS true is irrelevant.

/DG/

I'm kind of new to this, but I look at SJ differently than it seems you all are. The way I have seen it play out it in several close people is less of a general "steady and responsible" tone, but more a religous adherance to "the right way." I find it exasperating.

"The right way", rule based living, if you will, is dependent upon upbringing. Those kids at Walmart who are acting just like their parents may very well be SJ. Why? Because they are acting the way they have been shown to act. The rule is when you are at the store with your friends, you buy a coke and sit on the bench in the front throwing rocks at tires. It's just what you do.

It isn't like SJ's suddenly have a higher moral calling. The few I know have a hard time deviating from what they know to be true. Whether or not it actually IS true is irrelevant.

I'm a bit confused. Not all SJ's are going to agree with their parents or even the rest of society. It sounds like you are talking down to SJ's. :shrug:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I went to a "Business High School" focussed on economics, finance, accounting etc. and I saw none of what you describe. Most people spent their afternoons doing boring accounting homework and hoped to find a job in a small-medium sized enterprise.

/DG/

I went to a "Business High School" focussed on economics, finance, accounting etc. and I saw none of what you describe. Most people spent their afternoons doing boring accounting homework and hoped to find a job in a small-medium sized enterprise.

Where is this and how does it work? I'm just curious because I've never heard of anything like that.

However, I think it's safe to assume that most high schools are not going to have people as serious as those in the one you went to.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I'm a bit confused. Not all SJ's are going to agree with their parents or even the rest of society. It sounds like you are talking down to SJ's. :shrug:

I thought that was what you were supposed to do. Afterall SJ's dont even have the freedoms of SP's. They are at the bottom of the barrel.

justsayin

MBTI Type
INTJ
No, not talking down at all. Just bad phrasing on my part. I know, I did use the word exasperated, but that is just because I am dealing with a certain one who really wears me out. It isn't indicitive of all sjs, so, sorry.

I was just trying to say that I have found sj to mean rule following. Not the rules of society, but their understanding of the way things should be. The way the kids are acting isn't a reflection of their mbti status, it is only a testiment to the effects of environment.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Cimarron, I have seen those statistics, but I simply don't believe them. What people test as is not necessarily their true type - as a self-testing instrument, there is an inherent subjective bias in MBTI testing. I buy into Niednagel's and Socionics' contention that ENTP is the most common type by far (Niednagel also believes ESFP is quite common).

Ok, fair enough, although this is a pretty involved argument into whether types are distinct enough to measure.

I do not know many people at all who fit the SJ descriptions well - they may like to test out that way because their jobs force them to use those functions more than they naturally would.

Yet you believe your own subjective interpretation, derived from another system? There is a mountain of support for MBTI testing; what are you using to offset that?

Anyway, even so, there is simply no way that ENTP is the most common "type" so long as you accept the categorization methods (in the case of Step II, factor analysis) of MBTI; if you disagree with the categorization, you can't use MBTI ENTP as a placeholder for that category. (ENTP, as independent categories, are the least common. E<I, N<S, T<F, P<J).*

* Edit: To be clear, I do not mean that ENTPs are the least common. I meant in terms of categorization silos only, there are correlations between these silos.

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't trust any data too much. It would be near impossible to get clean data that would accurately represent the entire US or the world as a whole.

For example, it's believed that the S/N disparity is greater in rural areas than in cities. It's also pretty clear that certain areas will naturaly attract different types.

How do you find a group that's not skewed? How do you set the conditions so that all types would be equally likely to participate? How are these people being typed, and what's the margin of error (20% for MBTI)?

Also, when it comes to our perceptions and observations, they're all all skewed to our own biases and to the particular environment we're in. It's really interesting to me how differently people see 'the world' and the 'way things are' when I'm in LA as opposed to when I'm in rural Georgia.

We all project. None of us are unbiased and few of us have any idea just how biased we are.

We project things from our unconscious in ways that we can label them in other people and condemn them. The more we do that and the more emotion we put into it the more we miss that's right in front of us. If you don't think you're missing things then see if you can count the passes in this video...

So are there more SP and less SJs than is widely assumed? I don't know, but I think the way you presented the question brings up some other things that are more important.

From my perspective, all types are equally necessary in society and all are equally valid as human beings. If you find that you're condemning people based on type (I've certainly been guilt of this), then you're projecting and over-valuing your own strengths while under valuing theirs and you're probably missing some important things that are right in front of you.

I have regular interaction with a number of different profilers who are really good. Only one of them doesn't have a particular blind spot that I can identify. The one who doesn't is the one who has the most perspective and the greatest appreciation for people of each type. I don't think that's a coincidence.

So if you're condemning people based on type, you're not seeing what's really going on. I think that's a good guideline that I try to remember.