• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Types Play Games

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
During our division picnic, a group of us got together and played Apples to Apples.

If you've never played it, it's basically a party game where there are two sets of cards. Cards in the green set each have an adjective on them. Cards in the red set (of which there are MANY more) each contain a noun, and each player is given a random hand (unseen to other players) of seven cards, which is replenished each round to remain at seven.

Each turn, one player is the Judge. S/he flips over the top green card. The adjective shown is the active word. The players all look at the nouns in their hands and play one card (face down) into the pot. The judge goes through the cards and picks the noun that appeals most to them, in terms of the active word. The winning card has no criteria, it is all based on the whims of the Judge. You can put down a noun that seriously goes with the adjective (e.g., "intelligent" might match up with "Albert Eistein") or you can play something ridiculous (e.g., "sexy" = "Alfred Hitchcock"), or whatever you would like to play. The goal is simply to win the most hands by having your submitted word chosen by the Judge each round. (The Judge changes on each hand.)

I thought it was amusing to think about type during the game, since it factors into what cards to play. The players:

INTP: Me, and I typically play and pick nouns that are ironic (rather than straight-laced) to the active word. (Note, if I'm in the mood, I'll start playing to people's personalities; but sometimes I just want to be goofy/whimsical even if I know I'll lose.)

ISTJ: Can go either way, but she's very smart and so her choices either tend to be a direct connection, a personal connection, or something dour/sarcastic.

ENFJ: More imaginative, but sometimes plays (and picks) the sentimental choice. She also took over the decks of cards and insisted on always passing them out each turn so that things kept moving but no one else had to mess with it or was confused.

ISTP: Plays to win but tends to be a bit more witty than the average player.

ESTP: The big winner of the game, and I saw his play style adapt to whoever was the current Judge. He could appreciate SOME whimsical choices, although not the stuff that was really out there. (Same thing for the ISTP.)

ESTJ: Very very literal and even while it was obvious she understood some of the sarcastic/witty choices, she rarely ever picked them -- they had to be relevant to practical reality. (For example, playing "my love life" for the word "Depressing" is a winner with her, but playing "atomic bomb" for the word "Radiant" got no response from her.)

Other games in which you see type being made manifest, and how?

A

Anew Leaf

I LOVE THIS GAME!! I got banned from playing it from this ISTJ I used to know, who decided I was cheating. >_> Mainly because I made up my own rules on how I choose answers, and subsequently subverted the entire game experience to my way of doing things.

INFP (Me): choose words that I like or of my favorite things. Choose words for each person individually that works for them. One game I got the word "California" that I saved for my Californian ENFJ friend... which I played triumphantly on her round, and it didn't fit at all but she was unable to resist it. (I usually win A to A for this reason.) Pro-tip: if ever you play with me the following cards are trump cards: Anything astronomy, marshmallows, jelly beans, any animal that is cute/fuzzy, sharks, dessert items. (One game I had the worst round ever. I had to choose between: Jupiter, the universe, hot cocoa, marshmallows, and baby ducks. I ended up choosing Jupiter but it was REALLY tough.)

---

The game called "the Game of things." I have a really hard time making an answer that doesn't scream "Saturned." I play this game with two different groups of friends IRL. One group now automatically starts with answers that mock me. :dry: It continues throughout the entire game until I finally manage to write a non-Saturned response at which time everyone knows it's me because it's the only one not sounding like me. >_> My other group is made up of primarily NTs, and things get hilariously silly.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I love this game too! I go for witty and humorous. Isn't there a variation where you play with 2 adjectives and 1 noun? I think so. My favorite play of all time was Dramatic + Glitzy = Big Mouth Billy Bass.

I also play to the personality of the judge depending on how competitive I am feeling.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Ive never played this game. Now I want to.

I suspect mine would all be myself trying to be humourous for my, and others, amusement. Although after a bit I would probably get serious. Im inconsistant like that.

Im speculating....but I imagine for me the key word here would be significance...what is the significance of what I want to get across? Even if it is in jest...there is usually an intention behind it that goes beyond the joke.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
So, there's a thing called Cards against Humanity, which is basically A to A after midnight. Usually, picking the most offensive card wins (ex. Nazis, African Children, Praying the Gay Away), but that seemed so unoriginal to me, I would try and be more clever with my responses. That only worked once, though, but it was a damn good play, I'll tell ya!

''What's the new fad diet?''

PLACENTA, MUTHAFUCKAS.

God, that was such a good play. You know that it was good because it beat out 'Nazis' and other equally popular cards.

Anywho, the pdf file for the game can be found here for free:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/cah/CAH_MainGame.pdf

Play with all your friends, and possibly your direct relatives, too. That's when it's the most fun. It's especially popular amongst grandmothers and little siblings.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I dont really play to personalities I play to how people choose. My aunt is very literal and very rarely chooses outside of logical unless it really makes her laugh. Some people choose what they like, some people reason out what makes the most sense or the most logical, even people of the same type pick different cards, you just have to know what kind of stuff they lean towards. I dont always win, but I usually end up with alot of cards.

Like everygame I either play to win, play to have fun, or cheat and help someone else win. I dont cheat to win, thats boring, I prefer cheating to help someone else win. I was playing clue with my cousin and I kept texting her my cards and sending texts at random times to throw off any type of patterns.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTP: Me, and I typically play and pick nouns that are ironic (rather than straight-laced) to the active word. (Note, if I'm in the mood, I'll start playing to people's personalities; but sometimes I just want to be goofy/whimsical even if I know I'll lose.)

Same here. When judging, I usually go for the funniest response. It has to have some connection with the green card though. Something, that's totally random that has no relation to the key word whatsoever, I'm not going to pick. Usually, the overly literal responses are boring but I'll choose it over something that makes no sense whatsoever. Ironic responses is a big plus.

When playing cards, I tend to go for what I think the judge would be likely to pick but I have at times played something funny even though I knew it didn't stand much chance of getting picked. This is one the games, I see as being strictly fun and so I'm not overly competitive.