• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I think a lot of people like to look at reviews of stuff before buying it even if you aren't going to do so. It doesn't seem like wanting to get your money's worth has any relation to MBTI.

/DG/

I think, for me, it has something to do with thinking about how I want to live and how I could live.
Hmm...sounds a bit like Ni, although I'm sure that everyone has different reasons for doing what you said in the original post.

If I'd get the money in a month after building a PC, I'd still pick the parts from scratch.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean here.

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, I'm no Enneagram expert, but that sounds like Enneagram 5 behavior to me - detached observation/analysis substituting for action. Ennea 5 is most commonly associated with INTJ, INFJ and INTP. Not a lot of info to go on, but that's a bit of a hunch that I might look into.

/DG/

Well... It sounds odd, but for some reason, if there's no distractions, it even feels good doing it (say picking out the hardware). That's one of the reasons I've thought of those two reasons. The main reason is that I can't think of a better explanation on why I may like doing it.

What I meant was: if I'd pick out the hardware for a new computer and I'd find a bag with say a thousand bucks in it a month after picking out the parts, I would still pick out the parts from scratch before I'd buy a new computer.

----------

Addition to the OP: I can spend a couple hours doing this until I either get a sudden thought that it's pointless or run out of things to "examine."

[MENTION=16774]ScottJames[/MENTION] I've read this post and I could relate the most to 4 and 5, when looking at "when healthy" parts.
Maybe you just like computers? My brother does this even though he has no money for more computer things. He just likes looking at them and knowing about them. And even if he had money, I'm sure he'd be more satisfied with assembling his own PC rather than just buying one from the store.

Again, I don't see how this is type-related.

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=16774]ScottJames[/MENTION] I've read this post and I could relate the most to 4 and 5, when looking at "when healthy" parts.

Yeah the 3 types I mentioned are likely candidates for both 4 and 5. INFJ shades a little more to 4 and INTJ/INTP a little more to 5.

My guess is that this would resonate for you. True? http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypeFive.asp

My intuitive hunch is that you're an INTJ and if this is actually a bit of an issue with you it might be a sign that you're staying too much in your preferred realm (introversion) and not engaging enough Te (effectiveness/externally verifiable results/efficiency, etc.) to levarage your Ni to it's potential in the outside world.

Of course this is pure speculation based on little info - I just like to test my intuition some times.

/DG/

As I said, computer hardware is just an example. I look at other things too as mentioned in the OP. I simply look at hardware more often due to the fact that I encounter it more and the negative effect by inefficient and outdated hardware is more noticeable due to that.
Well I'll try to make my statement more general then. If you find yourself looking at something a lot or even obsessing over it, you simply have an interest in it. How is this related to MBTI?

As for assembling your own PC - you tailor it to your own needs using your own judgement, so if you can grasp the concept, it's only logical to not buy the assembled PCs. In fact, a store over here had a very unbalanced PC last time I was there due to warranty needs. 16GB of memory, very weak CPU, average VGA and 2TB of slow HDD space. I smiled and thought "what the f... is this?" ;)
Haha yes, I'm aware of this actually, being a bit of a computer nerd myself. However, I prefer laptops, so there is sadly much less room for customization. :/

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't have much money and I want to have quality things: clothes, cars, house, etc..

Sometimes I feel the need to check out news, reviews, stores, forums, and especially performance benchmarks of various things to see how much it would cost me and what it would look like if I'd have the money to buy it. Since I use the computer a lot and my PC is old, mostly it is hardware that I'm looking at - assembling a PC with no intention of buying it. Sometimes it's other things, like looking up how much quality clothing would cost me, quality food, medical examination, etc..

I'm not sure if this is planning or not, as I am not planning what to buy. I'm just looking up how much it would cost me to buy it, how much money I need to buy it, how much money I need to live more comfortably.

Can this be appended to some personality type(s)?

I know a couple of STJs who are alot like this.

But like [MENTION=6554]DisneyGeek[/MENTION] said, I don't think overall it's very type related.

/DG/

The STJ that I know cares only about immediate things being of "reasonable" quality, and he isn't too friendly with change nor new technologies (even computers, and he's 50), he prefers... Simpler things. By reasonable I mean quality/price ratio. Basically that includes a change of furniture when he's 45 (25 years of living alone) and a renovation at the same time, a new car every 5 years (beats changing the old parts) and the same 2-3 kinds of quality food. He doesn't want to change anything, doesn't like new things, doesn't want to spend more money than he thinks the item is worth. And besides, if an item he used to use was good according to him, why not buy the same one after it's broken?

So yea... At least this ISTJ doesn't do "different" or "change." :D May be different if you meant ESTJs, I don't know one.

Giving one example of one ISTJ you know isn't a good representation of all ISTJ's. Besides, as we get older we generally get more set in our ways. Your ISTJ looks like a good example of the Hank Hill ISTJ (minus buying a new car, of course). My ISTJ dad has some similar tendencies to the ISTJ you know, yet not all. He is not the smartest when it comes to money, as he always talks about spending money on silly and rather pointless things. My ISF mother has to handle the finances. STJ isn't always reasonable, although it tries to be/may think it is.

Anyway I forgot what my point is. What were we talking about? Something about how something doesn't correlate with personality? GAH! I don't remember. :doh:

/DG/

The STJ that I know cares only about immediate things being of "reasonable" quality, and he isn't too friendly with change nor new technologies (even computers, and he's 50), he prefers... Simpler things. By reasonable I mean quality/price ratio. Basically that includes a change of furniture when he's 45 (25 years of living alone) and a renovation at the same time, a new car every 5 years (beats changing the old parts) and the same 2-3 kinds of quality food. He doesn't want to change anything, doesn't like new things, doesn't want to spend more money than he thinks the item is worth. And besides, if an item he used to use was good according to him, why not buy the same one after it's broken?

So yea... At least this ISTJ doesn't do "different" or "change." :D May be different if you meant ESTJs, I don't know one.

Giving one example of one ISTJ you know isn't a good representation of all ISTJ's. Besides, as we get older we generally get more set in our ways. Your ISTJ looks like a good example of the Hank Hill ISTJ (minus buying a new car, of course). My ISTJ dad has some similar tendencies to the ISTJ you know, yet not all. He is not the smartest when it comes to money, as he always talks about spending money on silly and rather pointless things. My ISF mother has to handle the finances. STJ isn't always reasonable, although it tries to be/may think it is.

Anyway I forgot what my point is. What were we talking about? Something about how something doesn't correlate with personality? GAH! I don't remember. :doh: