• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gender Roles and MBTI

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As far as gender stereotypes, I think there are two sets:
  • reserved, strong/silent male + bubbly socialite female
  • devoted and dutifully nurturing female + aggressive dominant male

What about the playboy meme? Or for that matter the crone meme. I'm sure there are many more

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One of my grandmothers is ESxJ, but the other one was pure ESFP xD

INFPtheQuietOne

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Well of course MBTI doesn't always fit with gender. I know lots of feelers who are masculine, usually ISFPs ESFJs and ESFPs. The SFPs would be the most masculine of the feelers because of their Se and INFPs would be the most feminine, though not necessarily girly females. ISFJs fit the girly girl stereotype best, since INFP girls are mostly nonconforming, just that they come across girly because of Ne and their emotional Fi domness. Si dom, being nonrisky is typically girly for a girl when combined with Fe, while male SFs don't struggle with masculinity like Nfs do. Also, not all female Ts are tomboys, for instance ISTJs, who aren't girly girls either. And lots of ENFx and INFJ girls are tomboyish as well.
Se/T=masculine ideal
Si/Fe=feminine ideal
Fi is mostly neutral for males and tomboyish for females while Ns just don't conform.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How does raising a child doesn't involve being caring, supportive or sympathetic? If it does require anything, it is responsibility. Yet that gender role for women doesn't exist. There is no way to be certain of where gender roles originated from, which is disappointing but I think people need to get past this and finally realize that this is a huge generalization to make. It is also very sexist, of course.

It is impossible to know if these characteristics are true until the idea of gender roles is no longer a part of society. That doesn't mean I don't believe that more women are feelers in general, and vise versa. But I think we learn this behavior growing up, as a part of a social expectation.

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd say gender roles got me mixed up enough thinking I was an INFJ for a while; hormones were pushing me to keep others from taking risks and staying within their own comfort zones, various xSFJ things. Trying not to get the Si too involved, I would often have to tap into my Ni instead to balance out my childish Si. Therefore, I usually have to play the INFJ when most of my male friends refuse to do so.

rmrf

I was thinking the other day about attempting to type the societal constructs of the 'archetypal' man and woman. I think the expectation/meme of the "quintessential man" is an ISTJ and the "quintessential woman" is an ESFJ. One word to clarify, I don't want to be misunderstood as sexist. I don't support or endorse the stereotype, but was just thinking of the cultural phenomena of gender expectations.

KitchenFly

It get complex but the way I see it is in two directions using four type but promoting two examples one of each for the Female role and the Male role.

The Stress Points for Point 1 is Points 5 & 6 and the Stress Points for Point 5 is Points 1 & 9. To define the Principle Of Unification all four Points are required.

The two types Subtypes that are found at Point:2 are in my opinion the ESTJ and the ESNTJ.
If I was to categorise these two subtypes into two categories due to the direction they face in a direction around the circle of the enneagram I would give the ESNTJ the label of Mood Feminine Orientated and I would give the ESTJ the label of Agenda Feminine influenced.

Orientation because of the two the ESNTJ is the more androgens of the two maybe for two reasons one it has a ambidextrous property and it meets the compliment at its Stress Point counterpart the INFTP at Point:5. And because it has a closer relationship with the energy of ID though it's contact with Point: we're as the ESTJ has a contrasting connection with the INTP at its Stress Point at Point:5. And because it has a reinforcing connection with it relationship with Point:2 the another of three Supper ego energy Points.

The E the S the SN and the T and J all support the action of multitasking a feminine skill needed for stability within relationships of order and coordination within a family unit.

And the you the reader can work out all the rest the INFP and the INFTP at Point:5 are I believe the more Masculine thought over Instinct orientated.
The INTP is the more Feminine Mood Influenced to ward per cute and attainment of the two and the INFTP is more Masculine Agenda focused in the discipline of objective orientation toward achievement.

But this is more of an archetypal paradigm pertaining to the two Points 1 & 5 within the processes of the enneagram that overlays and is conveyed and partly visible in the four MBTI well two plus two types.

A lot can be said but it works best this prospective if viewed in the context that the proactive of mechanical man utilities all nine points and 18 MBTI orientated functions within its own inner and inter personal synergies. From that perspective of view it is easier to see and appreciated and understand. But the direct representation is equally of value if understood.

Perhaps, that is how it works for me as an INFP big picture thinker.

But having said all of that the reality remains there are many ways to cut the cake.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I hate gender roles and I hate being associated with them. Socialization is a huge part of it. For one thing, most societies socialize women to exhibit F traits and men to exhibit T traits. Gender roles and socialization just make it even damn harder to find out what someone's true type is.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sex, arousal patterns, reproductive and immediate caregiving roles, hormonal effects on development and operation--these all seem relatively stable to me, and seem to be most rooted in biological and psychological facts.

so, i don't think its untenable to imagine some role-ishness emerges from these basic foundations. with that said, there's a lot more to life, family, partnering, creativity, and just doing work that shapes us too.

yet, with even just some layer of engendering, so much iterative stuff happens upon that too that expands its seeming importance. bc, in the process of negotiating for power (our resources: our cognitive personalities multiplied by our body types and by our motivational styles), we commit to identities and find strategies that reproductively (and CREATIVELY, in general) empower us and our quests to live forever. sometimes this quest doesn't get past the moment and the desire to simply feel important/successful. other times, it does, and takes on more dimensions.

to me, then, gender is part of the story arc of immortality, even if nowadays we have the attention of cracked-out-on-social-media birds, and more and more of that larger quest has been rolled into socio-economic status and self-marketing games. some people reject or try to subvert the market even as they become more and more dependent on it. being with other people and the expectations that emerge and the ways in which we rely on those to know ourselves and our own respective worths is messy. any path of taking some responsibility to make yourself takes work.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
I guess it depends on what gender roles mean to you. In the classic sense of men being the hunters and women being gatherers, I don't know if one type would be more prone to a certain role. Could it be attached to personality with one type being more likely to? Certainly, but it has so much to do with environment and life experiences that it would be difficult to necessarily stereotype.

For myself as an ENTP if I had to fit a stereotype, I would be more of a dominant role in my interactions with the opposite gender and would lean more towards the classically male roles. In many aspects of the mating game I'm more assertive - I'll approach men first (usually, with some encouragement sometimes), I'll state my intentions, and if something will be established I'm quite dominant - sexually and relationship wise. That being said, I'm not sure if that dominance is entirely based on me, but a combination of my big personality and hatred of playing games, and the lack of initiative I find from those I've been romantically involved with. Maybe I just attract type B men who like to be lead, which forces me to assume a dominant role.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess it depends on what gender roles mean to you. In the classic sense of men being the hunters and women being gatherers, I don't know if one type would be more prone to a certain role. Could it be attached to personality with one type being more likely to? Certainly, but it has so much to do with environment and life experiences that it would be difficult to necessarily stereotype.

For myself as an ENTP if I had to fit a stereotype, I would be more of a dominant role in my interactions with the opposite gender and would lean more towards the classically male roles. In many aspects of the mating game I'm more assertive - I'll approach men first (usually, with some encouragement sometimes), I'll state my intentions, and if something will be established I'm quite dominant - sexually and relationship wise. That being said, I'm not sure if that dominance is entirely based on me, but a combination of my big personality and hatred of playing games, and the lack of initiative I find from those I've been romantically involved with. Maybe I just attract type B men who like to be lead, which forces me to assume a dominant role.
The OP, which is already a few years old, asked about correspondence of certain MBTI types to gender roles. If we look just at the stereotypical gender roles in western cultures, one can certainly associate some more with traditional female roles and expectations, and others with traditional male ones. Mostly this will fall on the T/F divide, but other functions will play into it as well, keeping in mind as others have already mentioned that there are multiple traditional roles for each gender in terms of E/I, J/P, etc.

In a way, though, this is just drawing parallels between one set of abstractions and another. It is another matter altogether to apply either set of abstractions to real people, especially in an individual rather than statistical way. People argue about the degree to which MBTI types describe real humans, but at least there are 16 of them, and they attempt to describe the fundamental ways in which people see the world around them and make choices in life. Gender, at least in the traditional model, gives us only two choices, and to the degree that it attempts to describe more than indisputable physiology, significantly overextends itself in an insupportable way. This is why I have found that type says much more about how a person operates than gender. I am much more like men of my type, for instance, than women of significantly diffent types. Doesn't mean we can't get along and be friends even, just that we are different on much more fundamental levels than we are similar just due to our shared female physiology.