• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why so many mistyped or wannabee INTJs?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
People wanna be INTJs because they are associated with ruling the world and mastering the universe. :smile:
:vader1:
:evilgenius:
:devil:
INTJs freaking suck at this since they spend way too much time planning and not enough time executing whereas the ISTPs would actually go out and do what it is they wish to accomplish be it mastering the laws of physics to gaining complete control of creation.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTJs freaking suck at this since they spend way too much time planning and not enough time executing whereas the ISTPs would actually go out and do what it is they wish to accomplish be it mastering the laws of physics to gaining complete control of creation.
Actually, INTPs spend too much time planning and never execute; ISTPs spend too little time planning, so their execution is off the cuff (sometimes just what is needed); INTJ is the happy medium, at least for situations that can be planned. (These types often accomplish alot together, for these reasons.)

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
God, yes. All of you "INTJs" are mistyped.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Actually, INTPs spend too much time planning and never execute; ISTPs spend too little time planning, so their execution is off the cuff (sometimes just what is needed); INTJ is the happy medium, at least for situations that can be planned. (These types often accomplish alot together, for these reasons.)

than the INFPs goooo ooh pretty and push buttons and than write about the explosion in their journals

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have known a couple of people who claim they can identify type as easily as most of us identify gender. I can't vouch for their track record, though.

That's an extraordinary claim. I think gender is usually a pretty quick read and our ability to make those distinctions is deeply wired into us evolutionarily, so I'd doubt that could be matched. I'm aiming to be as good as humanly possible though. As an Ni primary my approach is to be as certain as reasonably possible that I'm getting accurate data points to form my internal intuitive map of each type. I'm pretty good right now but I see the potential to be extremely quick and accurate using this approach over time.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, and I sort of wonder if the source isn't the issue. Like the descriptions given on some types so that people equate, "Well, I am bookish, quiet, and I like to read up on intellectual pursuits... clearly I am an INxx!"

Or something.

When I first got typed as an INFP, I whined about how I wanted to be ISFP because they were entitled "the Artist" and I had this moment where I felt I couldn't possibly be an artist if I wasn't an S. (In my defense I was an emo 18 year old. :D)

Since you made me an honorary NP, I'd like to make you an honorary SF. *bows*

karmacoma

EXCELLENT question.

My reasoning is this - ENTP and INTJ both are dominant Conceptuals and secondary Thinkers, but since ENTPs are often the weakest extrovert type at showing interpersonal intelligence, they can easily and understandably appear like pedantic INTJs.

I think there are many more ENTPs in the populace than commonly speculated. The type, especially when older (twenty-plus, balancing the Ne with Ti), gravitates toward abstract and theoretical discussion grounded in some form of logic, and they can love sparring and sharing ideas with like-minded folks on forums like this.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Didn't read thread but I hate how too many people think they are/want to be an INTJ. So annoying.

I'm basically INTJ, and I know people who are totally not like me who say they're also INTJ..

We can't both be.. :dry:

Sorry, but you're the same type as Jeff Foxworthy, like most people.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
The descriptions sound glamorous. Who wouldn't want to be the visionary Mastermind. Sounds a lot better than the "thinker" (loser), "idealist (pussy) or duty-fulfiller (dullard), right??? Come on this should be obvious! OK so maybe htis is only true on a superficial level. But most people only view this on a superficial level anyway so the objection is irrelevant!

The reality is often different of course. But people get obsessed with the imagined ideal. If they met some of the INTJ's I met IRL* they would think twice

*Cue predictable question about "where did you meet so many INTJ's IRL"? Well, I worked at a huge corporation with some dedicated areas teams which were very much for highly intelligent science graduates. Two of the guys were INTJ's - tested at our work MBTI session in fact! and neither would I wish to be like, as I viewed them as nerds (which is not a projection on all INTJ's, just a comment on these particular young fellows). I also had an INTJ acquaintance through university - having met hundreds of students is it so hard to believe that one or two may be INTJ? So all objections from henceforth, pre-empted and denied. :newwink:

Tessertime

MBTI Type
INTP
You could actually link the want to be an INTJ to the subconscious mind and its structural subroutines of boosting the self-ego. Do some research into the subconscious mind if you don't believe me.
To extend off that idea, a lot of people end up classifying themselves as INTJs. A lot of INTPs do, as do ISTJs and INFJs. I think one of the problems is the concept of Ni, and the ambiguity behind it. A lot of people express it as "If you don't understand it, you aren't INTJ" or "Ni is unexplainable" or "Ni is a blackhole that sucks in data", but none of those accurately convey Ni. Even the founders of MBTI had some issues with Ni.
I often think that the fact that there are so many subjective definitions of each function (and not everyone agrees with each definition!) may in itself be a failing of MBTI as a theory. It is rather hard to make predictions of the model when no one can definitize a function, least of all understand it.
There is also an issue of neuroplasticity and the changing structure of the brain that can lead to issues with MBTI.

I've been studying MBTI for almost a year, and I still can't decide on a type. I've gone from INTJ, to INTP, and I am now seriously considering INFP given my childhood (it shows glaring dominant Fi that even I can't ignore.) MBTI is a frustrating theory; it is open to much discussion, which is a bonus, but it also has issues with tying itself up into a recognizable form.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
You could actually link the want to be an INTJ to the subconscious mind and its structural subroutines of boosting the self-ego. Do some research into the subconscious mind if you don't believe me.
To extend off that idea, a lot of people end up classifying themselves as INTJs. A lot of INTPs do, as do ISTJs and INFJs. I think one of the problems is the concept of Ni, and the ambiguity behind it. A lot of people express it as "If you don't understand it, you aren't INTJ" or "Ni is unexplainable" or "Ni is a blackhole that sucks in data", but none of those accurately convey Ni. Even the founders of MBTI had some issues with Ni.
I often think that the fact that there are so many subjective definitions of each function (and not everyone agrees with each definition!) may in itself be a failing of MBTI as a theory. It is rather hard to make predictions of the model when no one can definitize a function, least of all understand it.
There is also an issue of neuroplasticity and the changing structure of the brain that can lead to issues with MBTI.

I've been studying MBTI for almost a year, and I still can't decide on a type. I've gone from INTJ, to INTP, and I am now seriously considering INFP given my childhood (it shows glaring dominant Fi that even I can't ignore.) MBTI is a frustrating theory; it is open to much discussion, which is a bonus, but it also has issues with tying itself up into a recognizable form.

This is interesting. I would say Ni is the ability to see clearly that which has never existed, inside of ones mind, just as Si clearly sees that which has existed. In other words, it is "imagination" in the strictest sense, what we often call "vision".

Je then works towards implementing that vision.

This puts aside all the bullshit about "premonitions". Of course that is not the case! What are in fact seen, are projections about the future based on instinct (called "intuition" by MBTI theory), tied with desires and fears. We all have that capacity, just only some some have it as a dom or aux function.

Really, I don't think it's that hard to understand. And I say that as an ixtp. However it took until very recently for me to develop some Ni and understand this function.

karmacoma

The reality is often different of course. But people get obsessed with the imagined ideal.

QFT!

It was nice imagining and pretending for years that I was a sensitive, introverted, organized person. In reality, I'm a butthat, debate constantly and quickly, and can barely organize my closet, let alone crap in my job.

On the other hand, lots of people are like that, I have found, so at least I am not alone as I imagined. :D

ENTPs want to be INTJs, ISTJs, INFJs, or whatever other type sounds really good to them in theory depending on their life circumstances (and circumstances can be anything - do you want to be rare? Be an IN-- type, even though five billion other people claim to be IN-- types on the Internet! Do you want to be efficient and pragmatic? Pretend you are an ISTJ, even though you are wasting time arguing with strangers online over theoretical stuff! Etc.). Getting a second opinion, and actually getting over their egomania to consider they might be wrong, can really help put Si reality - their least preferred function - into perspective.

Tessertime

MBTI Type
INTP
This is interesting. I would say Ni is the ability to see clearly that which has never existed, inside of ones mind, just as Si clearly sees that which has existed. In other words, it is "imagination" in the strictest sense, what we often call "vision".

Je then works towards implementing that vision.

This puts aside all the bullshit about "premonitions". Of course that is not the case! What are in fact seen, are projections about the future based on instinct (called "intuition" by MBTI theory), tied with desires and fears. We all have that capacity, just only some some have it as a dom or aux function.

Really, I don't think it's that hard to understand. And I say that as an ixtp. However it took until very recently for me to develop some Ni and understand this function.

You could argue that Ne is also the ability to make connections of things that don't exist. If Ne and Ni often come to the same conclusions, than that would be quite the paradox if Ne doesn't hold a similarity to Ni.
Back to subjective definitions, many people put Ne and Ni within the same scale. You could go as far, if you wish, to to tie Ne as real time, and Ni as imaginary time, if you want to get into defining the terms abstractly through physics.
I don't entirely disagree with your concept though, but one has to wonder if "never has existed" is entirely accurate. Ni does conceive of ideas that many individuals see as groundbreaking (Newton is an example) but that is more the realm of seeing what does exist, but within the background. Consider the Wizard of Oz and the man behind the curtain. Ni would collect data and intuit the man behind the curtain. Ne would connect everything around, and uncover the man behind the curtain (assuming it isn't distracted.)

Tessertime

MBTI Type
INTP
QFT!

It was nice imagining and pretending for years that I was a sensitive, introverted, organized person. In reality, I'm a butthat, debate constantly and quickly, and can barely organize my closet, let alone crap in my job.

On the other hand, lots of people are like that, I have found, so at least I am not alone as I imagined. :D

ENTPs want to be INTJs, ISTJs, INFJs, or whatever other type sounds really good to them in theory depending on their life circumstances (and circumstances can be anything - do you want to be rare? Be an IN-- type, even though five billion other people claim to be IN-- types on the Internet! Do you want to be efficient and pragmatic? Pretend you are an ISTJ, even though you are wasting time arguing with strangers online over theoretical stuff! Etc.). Getting a second opinion, and actually getting over their egomania to consider they might be wrong, can really help put Si reality - their least preferred function - into perspective.

Fora like this are the domains of intuitives actually. I guess I can see Si dominants being on here as well (maybe), but extraverts unlikely. The types that would be prevalent in fora like this would be:
INTJ
INFJ
INTP
INFP
ISTJ

Those types are most likely (with ISTJ being the least likely) to be online, so I wouldn't be surprised if those "billions of people online" were intuitives.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
You could argue that Ne is also the ability to make connections of things that don't exist. If Ne and Ni often come to the same conclusions, than that would be quite the paradox if Ne doesn't hold a similarity to Ni.
Back to subjective definitions, many people put Ne and Ni within the same scale. You could go as far, if you wish, to to tie Ne as real time, and Ni as imaginary time, if you want to get into defining the terms abstractly through physics.
I don't entirely disagree with your concept though, but one has to wonder if "never has existed" is entirely accurate. Ni does conceive of ideas that many individuals see as groundbreaking (Newton is an example) but that is more the realm of seeing what does exist, but within the background. Consider the Wizard of Oz and the man behind the curtain. Ni would collect data and intuit the man behind the curtain. Ne would connect everything around, and uncover the man behind the curtain (assuming it isn't distracted.)

I would say Ne plays around with an all-encompassing vision of this reality, seeing it in multiple possible "dimensions" simultaneously. But always very tied to this reality.

Ni, constructs one alternative reality, in depth. It does not view multiple relaities at once. But it is more "free" in the sense that it is much less limited by current reality.

Both have their limiting factors and their strong points (whichever way you look at it)

Hopefully my post makes sense to someone other than me!

Tessertime

MBTI Type
INTP
I would say Ne plays around with an all-encompassing vision of this reality, seeing it in multiple possible "dimensions" simultaneously. But always very tied to this reality.

Ni, constructs one alternative reality, in depth. It does not view multiple relaities at once. But it is more "free" in the sense that it is much less limited by current reality.

Both have their limiting factors and their strong points (whichever way you look at it)

Hopefully my post makes sense to someone other than me!

Ne I can clearly understand. I hold Ne in my functions. I'll stick with intuitively understanding Ni; I am not going to waste my time trying to definitize Ni, as I would end up writing an essay in my own explanation.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=16826]Tessertime[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16748]Il Morto Che Parla[/MENTION] both of you fellas are having a very intriguing discussion here that threatens to fissure the foundations of the whole typology theory since you brought up the ever changing state of the brain and how these functions such as Ni that folk so dearly desire have poor definitions which lack sufficent empirically gathered data to prove their validity is what I am gathering. Keep this conversation going my friends!

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think I would steal their type because I am envious of their swimmingly superior time management skills.

Tessertime

MBTI Type
INTP
[MENTION=16826]Tessertime[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16748]Il Morto Che Parla[/MENTION] both of you fellas are having a very intriguing discussion here that threatens to fissure the foundations of the whole typology theory since you brought up the ever changing state of the brain and how these functions such as Ni that folk so dearly desire have poor definitions which lack sufficent empirically gathered data to prove their validity is what I am gathering. Keep this conversation going my friends!

I was once a strong advocate for MBTI. But that was before I expanded my knowledge-banks to neuroscience, not to mention my own collective research on the functions. Now, I put forward the proposition that typology is an inaccurate, and rather flawed, theory that attempts to simplify a very complex and diverse system that has only recently been explored in-depth within the mid to late 90's (you could even pinpoint rapid advances to the early 2000's) and we still don't know much!
A theory is a theory if it follows two distinctive traits:
(1) It must accurately describe a large class of observations on the basis of a model, and
(2) It must make definite predictions about the results of future observations.
These are generally held to standard in physics, but I don't see why it couldn't hold weight to theories in other scientific fields.

MBTI often has a hard time meeting those two criteria.

Typology theories, like MBTI to use as the prime example here (most familiar with) attempts to configure personalities that overlap, and often contradict, the core of each established identity. I could point out that the brain is a complex system of chemical and electrical reactions/impulses, ones that can be quantized, and would therefore fit in to the uncertainty principle. If you wanted to expand the uncertainty principle to a larger concept, you could propose that the more you attempt to define and pinpoint a person's personality, the less certain you can predict how it is moving. On the flip side, the more you attempt to predict where a person's personality is going, the less certain you can predict where it is at.
That may be entirely untrue though, as quantum mechanics is quantized, whereas in physics the level of personalities would fall under the threshold of General Relativity (if the only connection to General Relativity is the abstract view.) But I wouldn't the uncertainty principle maintains an important connection to personalities.

Furthermore, in the realms of neuroscience, the brain's structure can change over time, which then presents the dilemna of fixated personalities. Some neuroscientists and psychologists have argued against typology as the changing structure can throw typology into realms of questionable limits.

To add to the frustration is a myriad of subjective definitions of each function, with a unified definitization of each function non-existent, if not entirely vague. Few people like to refer to Jung, as his results are questionable. Even Myers's results could be questioned.

Edit - You can't discount that people like MBTI because it does have aspects of simplicity to it, and can be used with some ease. It is like comparing Newton's Laws to Einstein's General Relativity: Newton's laws, like gravity for example, have proven inaccurate, but it is also easy to use and not fully innacurate! General Relativity is far more precise, but Newtons's is not too shabby.

It is interesting to hear about, and discuss, the different angles of the theory of MBTI.