• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

would you change your type if you could?

metalmommy

so ready
I'm curious if anyone would change their type if they had the ability to do so. If so, what would you change and why?

To answer my own question, I would absolutely change my type if I could...and my reason is ironic.

I'm an INFJ...and I hate, with all of my little heart, being a feeler. Which is something only a feeler would say. If I could change my type, I would change the F to T. I'm happy with everything else.

My reason is that my feelings cripple me. I cannot turn them off. There are times when I cannot overrule them, even when my rational mind is screaming at me. And some of the rational realizations I have are so painful it is, at times, debilitating.

I believe that my feeling preference hinders my success in life. I have wasted so much time in my life extricating myself from situations that I have gotten myself into because I have made a feeling decision. And I can't just not make decisions that way. If I could, I would. Sometimes feelings just overwhelm me and drown out my rationality.

I get that thinkers still feel. But in general? They can see what needs to be done and can act on it...while I'm still trying to cope with the distracting, feeling noise that I can't see past.

Perhaps the problem is that I'm only a slight feeler. Enough to derail my rationality, but not enough to really value the "gifts" of deep feeling. And given the choice, I'd rather the comparative stability of thinking rationality than the (at times) violent highs and lows of strong feeling.

So, that's my story! Does anyone else wish they could swap some letters?

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Maybe not a full change but I took a yes t that told be I was like 93% I, 80% T, 60% P and like 54% N. I'd like to be a lot less introverted and a bit less thinking. For opposite reason as you. It seems like I can't feel at all sometimes. Other people are like a foreign language and the external world is so far away.

metalmommy

so ready
Maybe not a full change but I took a yes t that told be I was like 93% I, 80% T, 60% P and like 54% N. I'd like to be a lot less introverted and a bit less thinking. For opposite reason as you. It seems like I can't feel at all sometimes. Other people are like a foreign language and the external world is so far away.

I've heard similar things from other thinkers, usually during a conversation telling me how my ability to deal with feelings is a benefit somehow. And it's not really an ability per se, it's just that I have to do something or I'll be a useless mess

I just cannot imagine why anyone would want this. I've heard that from enough thinkers that I know it's a genuine desire...but... why? lol

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It doesn't help to be rational
When people are irrational.

It's hard to ever feel "moved" if you are always in the perspective of thinking and evaluating.

Expressing emotion or dealing with feelings are unjustifiable even when it's necessary.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It doesn't help to be rational
When people are irrational.

It's hard to ever feel "moved" if you are always in the perspective of thinking and evaluating.

Expressing emotion or dealing with feelings are unjustifiable even when it's necessary.

metalmommy

so ready
[MENTION=16048]Pseudo[/MENTION] ok, I suppose I get that perspective. There's just so much more that comes with feeling...and it's really hard. And irrational.

I suppose I drink to stop feeling so much, whereas a thinker would drink to feel. Ha.

Nonetheless, I would gladly trade you the feeling...maybe a 6 month trial run...for the quiet of rationality. ;)

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'd like to be an extrovert. i think i'd have more fun.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=16048]Pseudo[/MENTION] ok, I suppose I get that perspective. There's just so much more that comes with feeling...and it's really hard. And irrational.

I suppose I drink to stop feeling so much, whereas a thinker would drink to feel. Ha.

Nonetheless, I would gladly trade you the feeling...maybe a 6 month trial run...for the quiet of rationality. ;)

I definitely drink to feel. But I wouldn't describe thinking as quiet. It's still loud just different messages. Analyzing everything to death. Not being able to just accepting things "just cause" because the "wrongness of it gnaws at you.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I would. I'd probably be an ESTx (I could see advantages to both ESTJ and ESTP.) Seriously... I'm a tired INFJ.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd be an ESTP. They're like ESTJs, but better -- quicker to step out of their comfort zone, bolder, more curious, more charismatic, but still as demanding of respect as ESTJs.

Edit:
I definitely drink to feel. But I wouldn't describe thinking as quiet. It's still loud just different messages. Analyzing everything to death. Not being able to just accepting things "just cause" because the "wrongness of it gnaws at you.
^ +1
Regardless of Te vs. Ti, this is definitely a T-dom problem. We can't deal with wrongness. :doh:

metalmommy

so ready
Seriously... I'm a tired INFJ.

Yes. Exactly.

While I can see definite advantages to being a sensor, I'd like to be an NT. I think any flavor of NT would work for me...but if I had to pick, probably one of the NTJs.

metalmommy

so ready
Edit:

^ +1
Regardless of Te vs. Ti, this is definitely a T-dom problem. We can't deal with wrongness. :doh:

Ah, but the truly crappy part for me? Is that I'm not enough of a feeler to accept things "just because." Wrongness drives me bat shit, too.

I'm a hot mess, apparently. Lol

ms.behaving

MBTI Type
eNFJ
Instinctual Variant
so
Sure and it requires no effort of imagination because I did it. Yeahhh.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I dont know.

I do know I would change who I am in a fly's wing-beat. But that is a separate story.... or novel.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No there's nothing wrong with my "type"

there are a lot of things i would like to improve but nothing specifically type related that holds me back.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And... It's silly for anyone to think otherwise really. I mean there are awesome/wretched people of every type so it's no excuse.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Maybe ENTJ. I really love Te and would want to keep it front and center. :D

Yeah, I would. I'd probably be an ESTx (I could see advantages to both ESTJ and ESTP.) Seriously... I'm a tired INFJ.
But we like you just the way you are. :puppy_dog_eyes:

I'd be an ESTP. They're like ESTJs, but better -- quicker to step out of their comfort zone, bolder, more curious, more charismatic, but still as demanding of respect as ESTJs.
An ESTP 1w2 would be rather strange, IMHO.