• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFPS: What's the source of your sadness?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does it just come from your extreme idealism and nothing ever matching up? Do you feel disconnected from the rest of the world? Not living up to some grand purpose?

What is it and what would/has helped you to move past it?

please and thank you. :flowerz:

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
(it's so funny how you're starting all these threads about types, trying to understand them....i love it!)

i'm posting here to say that i don't think what you're talking about is directly linked to being an INFP....i'm an ENFP and I have it too, always have had. that's melancholy you're talking about. maybe it could be connected to being a type 4? (I DEF have type 4 in my tritype, it's pretty strong too). Anyways, if I can also answer your question, it is a longing projected towards the future, of wanting to find something, an idealistic thing, a meaning in life, a soulmate that can share your thoughts/being with, I don't know. It's also my go-to state of rest, when I'm not stressed or trying to make the outside world happy (God, could it be connected to Fi then!?!?)

(Don't you have it too? Being an ENFP!? Honest question, I want to know what's *wrong* with me :) )

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
(it's so funny how you're starting all these threads about types, trying to understand them....i love it!)

i'm posting here to say that i don't think what you're talking about is directly linked to being an INFP....i'm an ENFP and I have it too, always have had. that's melancholy you're talking about. maybe it could be connected to being a type 4? (I DEF have type 4 in my tritype, it's pretty strong too). Anyways, if I can also answer your question, it is a longing projected towards the future, of wanting to find something, an idealistic thing, a meaning in life, a soulmate that can share your thoughts/being with, I don't know. It's also my go-to state of rest, when I'm not stressed or trying to make the outside world happy (God, could it be connected to Fi then!?!?)

(Don't you have it too? Being an ENFP!? Honest question, I want to know what's *wrong* with me :) )

yes i do absolutely...i've talked about it before and maybe the more interesting or inclusive question would have been to all types to discuss where their source of sadness comes from...as a 7...i have a very deep melancholy place that comes from letting go of people and past experiences...and longing to experience so much more and fearing i will never be able to satiate that thirst.

but as an enfp...with very idealist fi...i still find that it gives me hope...and is more the source of my optimism rather than my sadness. i don't feel thats the case with infps.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
oh, btw i just found this on tumblr:
tumblr_m9ztkmX01n1qd4z7ao1_500.jpg

Attachments

• tumblr_m9ztkmX01n1qd4z7ao1_500.jpg
    tumblr_m9ztkmX01n1qd4z7ao1_500.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Well, I don't think you can unravel one single emotion such as sadness from the whole bundle of them. They just come together.

So, some of it is in the over-idealistic view of the world and regret of it/me not living up to it. But there is also the awareness that everything is relative and linked. Happiness at winning something means someone else is sad at losing. Having something brings into light the things that you don't have and long/yearn for, etc.

Man, this is harder to explain than I thought... *gets sad at not being to express himself better* :tongue:

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I cannot explain it. I just know it is there most of the time, sometimes I can forget it for a while though.

A

Anew Leaf

within the world there is a secret sea.
and beneath the waves of that secret sea there is a cave.
and within the cave there is a place where no light can dance into,
and within the drenched depths there resides a box.
and this is a box with no key other than the one time will forge
as the box simply waits for the dance of darkness and lightness and rocks and waves and worlds and caves to flutter out of being.

the end.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Does it just come from your extreme idealism and nothing ever matching up? Do you feel disconnected from the rest of the world? Not living up to some grand purpose?

What is it and what would/has helped you to move past it?

please and thank you. :flowerz:

I don’t think it’s related directly to one personality type.
I remember, as a child, wondering why feeling sad felt so satisfying, comforting in a way. It seemed to inspire my creativity.
I think it has to do with greater right hemisphere involvement in the thought process. A thicker corpus calossum maybe?
Anyway, Some people suffer from more existential anxiety, and this could be seen as an aspect of idealism.
AND THERE IS NO CURE. you just have to accept it. Sorry...:flowerz:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i wonder then if it is felt differently to you then it is to me...

zelo1954

ISFJophile
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
The other down side to this is that the INFP, more than most, will never match up to his/her own standards. Sometimes we feel we fall embarrassingly short. Our warts are only too obvious to us - and mostly invisible to others. But there's an up side too. We feel joy greater than other types too because there is a greater gap between the thing that causes us joy and everyday mundanity. If you see an INFP in tears it's very likely to be from extreme joy rather than extreme sadness.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's interesting. :)

A

Anew Leaf

The other down side to this is that the INFP, more than most, will never match up to his/her own standards. Sometimes we feel we fall embarrassingly short. Our warts are only too obvious to us - and mostly invisible to others. But there's an up side too. We feel joy greater than other types too because there is a greater gap between the thing that causes us joy and everyday mundanity. If you see an INFP in tears it's very likely to be from extreme joy rather than extreme sadness.

how can we measure that which cannot be measured but only conjectured. if i bleed, do not they bleed too? if i dissolve into dust and ash and the remnants of stars half-fulfilled with dreams laying in tattered folds, do they not do the same?