• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Forum Statistics - % Of MBTI Types

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I pulled some numbers this evening on how many forum members we have of different MBTI types. There are actually two sets of numbers. First, I pulled the % of members that joined before 1/1/2010 - so that would be some of the original members. Then I pulled the currently active members, which are those that have posted since 1/1/2012.

A few questions:
1. The consistency of the membership MBTI types across time sort of amazed me. Any ideas on why the percentage MBTI breakdown of the original members is so similar to the breakdown today?
2. Why do you think there is such a heavy concentration of INXXs?
3. We have a lot of Ni and Ne doms but there is a statistically significant number of INFPs in there as well. Thoughts on why this is?
4. Do you have any suggestions on how to encourage participation of some of the less represented types?
5. Do you have any other observations on this?

Last edited:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The reason for the consistency is that more intuitives are interested in typology than sensors. The high concentration of INXX is due to their desire to find themselves. The reason for the INFPs being there is that they are INXX types. To bring in members of different types requires that the forum branch out into topics that interest people of those types.

Other observation: The chart is proof that the member IQ poll was correct in that the most popular range of IQs here is 132-145.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To bring in members of different types requires that the forum branch out into topics that interest people of those types.

What topics?

Other observation: The chart is proof that the member IQ poll was correct in that the most popular range of IQs here is 132-145.

How do you get that?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What topics?

How do you get that?

1. I don't know what topics, but my impression from speaking with non-typologists is that they would be immediately turned off by the forum name. Especially most sensors.

2. I get that from statistics grouping IQ test results and MBTI scores. You'll be pleased to hear that, on average, the INTJ scores the highest on IQ tests, followed by those in the INTP category. The ISTJ is also right up there. The INFP/J are not slouches either, by any means.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol ISTP is by far the most common sensor and is even more common than ENxJs!

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. I don't know what topics, but my impression from speaking with non-typologists is that they would be immediately turned off by the forum name. Especially most sensors.

How about Typology and Football Central? Would that attract them?

2. I get that from statistics grouping IQ test results and MBTI scores. You'll be pleased to hear that, on average, the INTJ scores the highest on IQ tests, followed by those in the INTP category. The ISTJ is also right up there. The INFP/J are not slouches either, by any means.

Do you have a link somewhere to the information supporting this?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How about Typology and Football Central? Would that attract them?

Do you have a link somewhere to the information supporting this?

I'm through helping for now. Believe what you will. :bye:

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
Just curious what long-term members thought about the number of INTPs. Is the number inflated because INTP is an appealing type and people just mistype themselves as this type frequently? Or are there so many for another reason?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Is the number inflated because INTP is an appealing type and people just mistype themselves as this type frequently?

Yes. And no. Yes, the numbers are inflated; no, it's not really an appealing type. It's just one of the types that (1) has gushy descriptions and (2) is described at length to the point that almost all personality traits are in some way or another rationalized to be connected to it. No wonder all these people relate to it.

Add to that a tendency for the other types, especially any S type (but even some ENxx types like ENTJ and ENFJ, which get treated almost like the N equivalent of SJs), to be given short shrift in descriptions, both in terms of content (some is plain wrong and uses language that would turn anyone off to the type) and length (you're not going to find long, loving, in-depth explanations of the ESTP, for instance, like you do with the INTP), and it all makes a lot of sense.

Or are there so many for another reason?

What other reason could there be? It's absurd how many are willing to believe that INXXs are just drawn to typology more than any other type on the internet. How weak. Sometimes I feel like I'm in some sort of twilight zone when people say that stuff in all seriousness.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What other reason could there be? It's absurd how many are willing to believe that INXXs are just drawn to typology more than any other type on the internet. How weak. Sometimes I feel like I'm in some sort of twilight zone when people say that stuff in all seriousness.

The above indicates that 62% of the forum is INXX. So you think that all those people have their type wrong? There are an abundance of sensors in there? They would rather be introverts than extraverts? If I have my type wrong, why wouldn't I want to be an ESTP. It sounds like a lot more fun.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I think INFP Global Chatter going under might have something to do with all the INFPs?

I also remember a spat where two ENTPs blew up at an ESTJ and that person stopped posting. This was way back in 2007. That was the most overt type bashing/feud Ive seen but it would have turned me off, too, from the forum if I were a newb S. Though I know some "S"s have complained here about more overt bias against S's or subtle N superiority?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
The above indicates that 62% of the forum is INXX.

Yes, and...? The larger the majority the more ridiculous it gets.

So you think that all those people have their type wrong?

Not all, but many.

There are an abundance of sensors in there?

Yes, I think so. Also extraverts.

They would rather be introverts than extraverts?

Yes. It is a forum trope to regard introversion as a form of superiority, both in terms of intelligence levels and depth of perception/thought/feelings.

If I have my type wrong, why wouldn't I want to be an ESTP. It sounds like a lot more fun.

Nobody picks their type that way. It would be disingenuous for, say, an ISFJ to claim they were ESTP. The descriptions cannot be reconciled because they are too unlike one another. But any INxx, particularly INxJ, would be easy. There are more traits in common between a true ISFJ and, say, an INFJ description than between ISFJ and ESTP. So it's less difficult to deceive oneself, which is the goal. The goal is not to deceive others. In fact, this process is not even conscious. Nobody even considers being ISFJ in the first place, whether they are or not, so they pick the closest N type.

But why, you might ask, would an ISFJ want to be an INFJ and not an ESTP if they were just employing wishful thinking? Easy. On these forums in particular, introversion and any form of intuition are regarded as primary indicators of intelligence or intellectual capability, and those two things seem to be the main form of social currency 'round these parts.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I think INFP Global Chatter going under might have something to do with all the INFPs?

I also remember a spat where two ENTPs blew up at an ESTJ and that person stopped posting. This was way back in 2007. That was the most overt type bashing/feud Ive seen but it would have turned me off, too, from the forum if I were a newb S. Though I know some "S"s have complained here about more overt bias against S's or subtle N superiority?

The N superiority is rampant to the point that nobody wants to identify as an S type. They're not even an option for consideration, or if they are, it's always the third or fourth option that's not really something they're truly considering.

It's funny...on non-typology sites I've seen trends that fit into my theory. For instance, if the site is part of a culture that prizes intelligence or intellectualism (like any of the skepticsphere, or the StarCraft community...lol), there tends to be A LOT more self-identified Ns when the subject gets brought up. In intelligence neutral zones, where it's just not an issue and intellectual posturing is not the favored mode of communication, there tends to be more balance, but Ns still dominate (even when it's something ridiculously sensor-stereotypical, like art or car forums.) What does that say? It says either that there are fewer Ss on the internet despite their supposed number superiority IRL (which some foolios here would have us believe), or that there's something funky going on with the descriptions that's causing people to dismiss S as a possibility for themselves.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On these forums in particular, introversion and any form of intuition are regarded as primary indicators of intelligence or intellectual capability, and those two things seem to be the main form of social currency 'round these parts.

I understand your points but if a person takes an MBTI or Cognitive Functions test, couldn't it just as easily be wrong in the direction of E or S? Wouldn't the errors in the test cancel each other out? Or are you saying the tests are biased to give an I or N result? I wished I was an extravert all of the years I was growing up and well through my 20s. There is a strong cultural bias in the US towards extraversion being more acceptable. It permeates our society as well as the work environment I was at some training just a few months ago where we split up the room between extraverts and introverts. I was the sole person who walked to that other side, not at all ashamed as to where I was standing. Then after I walked over there perfectly content that there was this huge mass of people who were supposedly extraverts (which I knew they were all not), several began to creep halfway over to the introvert side - to indicate that maybe they were a bit in the middle between the two. If anything, I believe people would be more likely to say they are an extravert because it is much more socially acceptable. I think you probably are right about S vs. N. I think there are probably many people typed as Ns here that are Ss. I have no basis for thinking that way other than a gut feeling though.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I think there's a real common test bias toward N's, and a tendency for people to perceive N's as smarter than S's. I think for that reason you're going to find more people self-type as N's. I think there are probably a lot of mistyped N's running around here.

On top of that, as Mal suggested, I think S types are just generally less likely to be interested in MBTI.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I understand your points but if a person takes an MBTI or Cognitive Functions test, couldn't it just as easily be wrong in the direction of E or S? Wouldn't the errors in the test cancel each other out? Or are you saying the tests are biased to give an I or N result?

It depends on context, but since we were talking about the context of the forum, I'm pretty sure that the reasons I've already given PLUS (1) test savvy-ness, knowing how to pick for what you want to get, and (2) biased test questions are responsible. I can imagine that there's probably a scenario in which, for instance, people might be more prone to incorrectly self-typing as ESTJ. Like in a business setting or something. But I don't have any concrete examples of that, and I've never seen that happen anywhere on the internet.

I wished I was an extravert all of the years I was growing up and well through my 20s. There is a strong cultural bias in the US towards extraversion being more acceptable. It permeates our society as well as the work environment I was at some training just a few months ago where we split up the room between extraverts and introverts. I was the sole person who walked to that other side, not at all ashamed as to where I was standing. Then after I walked over there perfectly content that there was this huge mass of people who were supposedly extraverts (which I knew they were all not), several began to creep halfway over to the introvert side - to indicate that maybe they were a bit in the middle between the two. If anything, I believe people would be more likely to say they are an extravert because it is much more socially acceptable.

Again, the setting matters. Interesting anecdote, though.

I remember when we first took the MBTI in my college humanities course (I think it was some BS general "internship" seminar), we had to divide into groups based on type and there were a shitload of people in the INFP and INFJ groups. Why? Because most of the people in this class fancied themselves as intellectuals/writers/activists, and they picked accordingly (I particularly remember this one ridiculously stereotypical ESFP girl heading to the INFP table.) Hell, I even landed in INTP or INTJ, I can't remember. It was one of them, but I could only deceive myself for so long. The groupiness of this forum and some honest feedback IRL shook me out of it.

I think you probably are right about S vs. N. I think there are probably many people typed as Ns here that are Ss. I have no basis for thinking that way other than a gut feeling though.

Well, think about it this way. Even if you couldn't provide a case that would convince each mistyped person you identified that they're mistyped, if you think about the forum as a whole, you'd have to agree that we see a fairly wide variety of personalities. Now, why is that? Why is there such a preponderance of the same types and yet such vastly different performances of these types between people? Of course there are going to be individual differences between true members of the same type, but would they really be to the extent that we regularly see here?

Fourplay

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Orangey, thanks for this.

This is incredibly interesting..

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Yes, and...? The larger the majority the more ridiculous it gets.

Not all, but many.

Yes, I think so. Also extraverts.

Yes. It is a forum trope to regard introversion as a form of superiority, both in terms of intelligence levels and depth of perception/thought/feelings.

Nobody picks their type that way. It would be disingenuous for, say, an ISFJ to claim they were ESTP. The descriptions cannot be reconciled because they are too unlike one another. But any INxx, particularly INxJ, would be easy. There are more traits in common between a true ISFJ and, say, an INFJ description than between ISFJ and ESTP. So it's less difficult to deceive oneself, which is the goal. The goal is not to deceive others. In fact, this process is not even conscious. Nobody even considers being ISFJ in the first place, whether they are or not, so they pick the closest N type.

But why, you might ask, would an ISFJ want to be an INFJ and not an ESTP if they were just employing wishful thinking? Easy. On these forums in particular, introversion and any form of intuition are regarded as primary indicators of intelligence or intellectual capability, and those two things seem to be the main form of social currency 'round these parts.

I was going to say something similar but you pretty much hit it on the head.....and buried it....and fooled Scotland Yard.

The sad reality ive noticed is that the damage is done, the collective perceptions are in and the ballot boxes are closed. Opinions will never change on this theory and the understanding within it.

N will always be iNtelligent.

S will always be Stupid.

I dont mind being stupid or intelligent of course since the quality of intelligence is not required to enjoy or even be successful at life, however you define successful. But it would be a gross naivity on my part to deny that many see worth in an individual in such places as this, based upon apparant perceived intelligence.

However a person is better off not taking it personally, or at all. Just carry on and have done. Not that you shouldn't point it out from time to time, mainly that it will be frustrating how much you would be ignored, or criticised or 'shown how wrong you are'.

Of course this isn't an assumption that because someone types as intuitive that they are necessarily going to have these ideas. I suppose it is the 'looks like a duck...quacks like a duck...' mentality that I find myself in disagreement with.

Keps Mnemnosyne

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Mm
Another problem at least with E and I is the fact that it seems to me that some of the descriptions for Extroversion has people getting energy constantly from others whereas Introverts can deal with people, but then need to be alone to recharge. The problem with the definition is that Introversion has a closer definition to the average. After dealing with stressful situations and people, extroverts and introverts will want to be alone and recharge.

While I do agree with Orangey and have seen her posts in the past, I am unsure of what to do with the idea. I am not going to argue with others about their types as I don't care or know enough and the general pointlessness of those debates. Many members have said in the past that there are more sensors here and point fingers at each other while sticking to their own bloated N's. This idea then leads to myself, while I do believe that I'm INFJ, how in fact do I know that I am not self-deceiving myself? Should I change to IXXJ and let other members decide how to view me (and unfortunately my arguments) while leaving doubt on both sides, bite the bullet and change it to ISTJ even though I feel I'll be deceiving others, or leave it as INFJ and live with my own doubt and others' doubts as I accuse others mentally of a mistake that I, myself, may be making? The best solution I've come up with so far has been to tell people when asked that I am hypothetically INFJ which still isn't ideal. Anyone have ideas on how to deal with that general situation? How do you truly determine your own type in spite of biases? If there are such strong biases present, are there truly types at all?

Highlander, is it possible to see how many EXXPs there are or IXTX or even random letters? We could possibly use that to try to see how many undecided members there are.