• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Forum Statistics - % Of MBTI Types

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
This is not on a par with what it is like to be iNtuitive in a Sensor world. I know you can't see that, but...that's kinda the point.

How do you know im not leading you on and im really an intuitive in disguise?

I made my situation SOUND marginalised and concrete, but in reality it is also within the lack of appreciation for abstraction that I struggle. Ive said many times before and ill say it again: Most of the differences between people are matters of intelligence not only type.

How many times did I want to tell my mother that my outline wasnt in focus with my inline, that my head was full of cotton wool and that one of the cats seemed more mithered than the other? That the one next door neighbour had diamonds in his brain but the other was leaking glass?

But I couldn't because I wasn't sure she would understand. That's the trouble, the eyes only turn inwards and we reflect like mirrors, rather than building our own.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Some examples of how N looks better in descriptions than S would help. I've already given the example of the ISTP description at personalitypages as positive (the ISTP is "rational and logical", or words to that effect) but then I'm told that personalitypages has bad descriptions. The point is, they aren't negative sounding, and the ISTP I was talking to simply finds it a boring description because he is an ISTP. I don't see how S is being picked on, and not because I am an N but because I am objective enough to see the formula used to create each of the descriptions, in that it's exactly the same (boring) formula used in each one.
Actually I think the ones at Personality Page are fantastic basic descriptions. I often use them to grab a quick reminder or clarification on a type. Of course, if you want something more in depth and insightful, you are better to look elsewhere.

However the sorts of things I'm talking about are more subtle; like [MENTION=4490]Orangey[/MENTION] said, making NFs sound like rock stars and cultural warriors, and then have SJs characterised as accountants. And as you said, it's not that descriptions for Sensors are negative (or that Sensors are being picked on per se), it's just that they aren't as exciting and appealling (which as a result, may have the effect of making them appear slightly negative in comparison). Anyway, I don't think it's an overwhelming problem; it's just a niggling thing that goes on in the background that can influence things.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I made my situation SOUND marginalised and concrete, but in reality it is also within the lack of appreciation for abstraction that I struggle. Ive said many times before and ill say it again: Most of the differences between people are matters of intelligence not type.

What kind of differences? (Without qualifications, that comment seems worthless to me. You could replace "intelligence" and "type" with any two words without adding anything to the discussion.)

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
What kind of differences? (Without qualifications, that comment seems worthless to me. You could replace "intelligence" and "type" with any two words without adding anything to the discussion.)

Ill admit I constantly re-edit my posts as new information occurs to me and as I proof read what ive read to convey the message I want. So ive added to that a tiny bit.

But if we take on assumption that intelligent people, (however one might define or quantify it), usually possess an ability to think on multiple levels at once, have a speedier grasp of elements which their particular intelligence is geared towards, I think it is a fair point to make that many intelligent sensors would otherwise type as intelligent intuitives.

Abstraction and an understanding of complex theoretical concepts is an element of that higher reasoning that often comes with intelligence. The type is merely the WAY in which that reasoning is reached.

Im sorry sometimes it's hard for me to explain what I see in my head.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But if we take on assumption that intelligent people, (however one might define or quantify it), usually possess an ability to think on multiple levels at once, have a speedier grasp of elements which their particular intelligence is geared towards, I think it is a fair point to make that many intelligent sensors would otherwise type as intelligent intuitives.

This doesn't necessarily bear out. My ex has an IQ in the 130's, yet is very very ISFJ and possessed a long-time fear of iNtuitive style thinking and behavior and definitely has struggled with inferior intuition. Despite the intelligence, the type style channels how the intelligence is applied. Does not come across at all as iNtuitive.

I do think other things are involved (like cultural influence and structure), which can either liberate or restrict thought.

EDIT: And here's a personal example:

Sitting here this morning feeling like quitting my job or asking for a transfer. I'm caught between a female ESFJ and a female ESTJ, on a team of S types, and I'm an NP. Typically I feel like I'm the one who misses details here and there, no matter how hard I work; and I'm constantly having someone correct something or come to me about the "way I should have done something," all of which seems arbitrary to begin with. Anytime I use my normal sensibilities, I feel like it just gets me into trouble.

Yesterday, there was the morning debacle where one of the first things the customer did on the phone was ream us out for not including two people on the meeting invite. Well, when I was asked to set up this meeting by my boss who was away the day before, only two teams were on the list; I flexed to new information and the list expanded to more the "cast of thousands," and suddenly the customer was being invited to this meeting, and a few of the other analysts even reviewed the list and said it was okay. I tried to avoid inviting people who were halfway across the country as well or tying up personnel who had many many things on their plate... but suddenly dropping these two people from a meeting I was originally asked by my boss to only include two small internal teams was a matter bad enough to bring a public reprimand to our team (which my lead took the hit for, and then went a round on the phone with the guy after, ending up in tears about it).

Then I busted my butt to take three sets of notes from the meeting I had to facilitate, to dump items into an emergency release spreadsheet that I had to stay 45 minutes of overtime to do, when I really just wanted to go home after having a crappy day and finding out I had to find a new place to live. (So I was being over-responsible and investing in this job.) I informed the ESTJ about my work face to face after 5pm, and left a note telling my team lead to review the list with me in the morning before sending it (since her target time was 10am, and I knew I'd see her at least two hours before that).

So I get in, the team lead's already added something to the list and sent it out without stepping through it with me, and the ESTJ is now informing me (in what I perceive to be kind tones now, but she still comes off as a heavy because she has little warmth) that we could have sent it out for a review (for an item I finished after hours and that my lead wanted out by 10am? Why would that make sense to me?), and she had looked over it and made some changes, but if I had forwarded her on the copy and other people, they could have been involved possibly, etc.

Again, trying to be efficient, operate according to the goal, not including people unnecessarily, and using my normal instincts failed miserably. I'm sick of doing this job now and want to quit... not just because I don't enjoy getting criticized constantly (I've been feeling this way for a few months), but because my perception is that my instincts and the natural expectations for this team just don't mesh, and I'm always going to make mistakes and not be able to play the game as expected, and I don't want to feel inadequate all the time nor let my team down all the time. They just need some other methodical, detail-oriented, by the book person to do this job.

That's not a matter of intelligence either. Both the ESFJ and ESTJ are very intelligent. It's a type thing. The ESJs control approach and procedure; I can't seem to get it right... and I'm pretty smart too. Maybe it could be a little different if people transcended type... but note you have to "transcend" it... so it's still obviously a factor.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This doesn't necessarily bear out. My ex has an IQ in the 130's, yet is very very ISFJ and possessed a long-time fear of iNtuitive style thinking and behavior and definitely has struggled with inferior intuition. Despite the intelligence, the type style channels how the intelligence is applied. Does not come across at all as iNtuitive.

I do think other things are involved (like cultural influence and structure), which can either liberate or restrict thought.

Well, there's a whole topic in itself. I think that really smart people often second guess themselves anyway, highly aware of their weaknesses, etc. None of us can have God-like perception, but once you get to a certain level of awareness and speed of thought, you just realize what perception you may not have and how you could use it to further your mental capabilities. (sorry, trying to cut back on the rambling a bit so I won't go any further. :) )

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ill admit I constantly re-edit my posts as new information occurs to me and as I proof read what ive read to convey the message I want. So ive added to that a tiny bit.

Abstraction and an understanding of complex theoretical concepts is an element of that higher reasoning that often comes with intelligence. The type is merely the WAY in which that reasoning is reached.

Im sorry sometimes it's hard for me to explain what I see in my head.

That could definitely work both ways. It's assuming that intuitive can fully grasp concepts in a sensor way but it doesn't work the other way around. It's that an unintelligent intuitive can be a flake that glazes over things without ever giving them a more in depth thought.

Both far sighted and near sighted people are missing equal depth of perception in many ways. A fast and thorough thinker who is able to quickly assess situations from the inside out and outside in is going to need from a variety of different angles, zoom in or out, N or S.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I apologise for assuming you actually wanted an answer to your questions. I now see that is not the case. Noted.

I suppose im somewhat......irritated by the constant assertion that this is somehow part of MY world because being a sensing type automatically makes things easier for me.

Yes im sure that is a stupid thing to think and once again I dont assume that all intuitives think this way, but ive heard it so much across these forums. I suppose I ought to just take it in stride, but I did try considering the other point of view....going: You know what they shouldn't be judged by anyone such as me, clearly they have it rough.

However automatic responses are automatic and hard to shake, even with the jittery self-conscious nature that I possess.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, there's a whole topic in itself. I think that really smart people often second guess themselves anyway, highly aware of their weaknesses, etc. None of us can have God-like perception, but once you get to a certain level of awareness and speed of thought, you just realize what perception you may not have and how you could use it to further your mental capabilities. (sorry, trying to cut back on the rambling a bit so I won't go any further. :) )

That sounds like it should make sense, but even here on this forum I find some very intelligent people who don't seem to second-guess themselves at all (unless they are waking up in their bed crying late at night, out of our view, ha ha... shocker!)... and interestingly some of them are Ns.

I do think what you describe is a hallmark of healthy, mature individuals... not overemphasizing their weaknesses or having hangups about them, but at least perceptive of them.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That sounds like it should make sense, but even here on this forum I find some very intelligent people who don't seem to second-guess themselves at all (unless they are waking up in their bed crying late at night, out of our view, ha ha... shocker!)... and interestingly some of them are Ns.

I do think what you describe is a hallmark of healthy, mature individuals... not overemphasizing their weaknesses or having hangups about them, but at least perceptive of them.

uh, yeah, but some of the N's on this forum surprise me with the lack of insight into why their opposite is valuable....Actually I've seen multiple intelligent IRL NT's do the same. That's having a blackness over a really important part of the picture.... You're missing a LOT of perception about yourself if you don't understand others. That's a pretty feelery perception I guess... I'd personally probably be homeless or something if I didn't value my opposite so much.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
A few questions:
1. The consistency of the membership MBTI types across time sort of amazed me. Any ideas on why the percentage MBTI breakdown of the original members is so similar to the breakdown today?
From my perspective as an SP... I find myself spending less and less time on this forum and other forums...and more time browsing for inspiration and ideas for my hobbies/career. So most of my time online is spent browsing photography websites or just browsing Flickr rather than on the forum talking about MBTI/enneagram
2. Why do you think there is such a heavy concentration of INXXs?
Most INXX's I know seem to seek out forums as their little haven. It seems that it's easier for them to communicate in written form than verbally. Again, that's just my experience.
3. We have a lot of Ni and Ne doms but there is a statistically significant number of INFPs in there as well. Thoughts on why this is?
:shrug:
4. Do you have any suggestions on how to encourage participation of some of the less represented types?
Forget about the descriptions... For some reason it seems that there are some N's that have issues with S's. And some I's that have issues with E's. I don't notice the T/F issues around here as much as I have on other forums. However... As an S, I have taken numerous breaks from forums because I can only roll my eyes at so many posts before it starts to get old and irritating.
5. Do you have any other observations on this?
If anything... I'd say that given the "stereotypical" interests of S's.... Sitting on a forum is just not their first choice of things to do. If you will notice, I post between a certain set of hours... In down time at work, I come here to pass time. When I leave work the only time I get on the computer/laptop is to do photo editing. That's it.

While I do have an interest in MBTI and enneagram and find it interesting... It's not my number one interest. It's probably about 3rd or 4th on the list. Oddly enough, my INTJ husband has zero desire to learn more about MBTI. He said he tested as an INTJ, identified with it, and that was all the interest he had in it! :alttongue:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You're missing a LOT of perception about yourself if you don't understand others. That's a pretty feelery perception I guess...
Not at all! I feel the same way. It's part of why I'm here.

You hit the nail on the head. :nice:

rav3n

What's interesting about many arguments for 'Sensorship', is that people hold intuitives to higher standards than sensors. A circle jerk.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I think it's better to avoid definitions for now, but I'll work with what I've detected. Let's take this thread, for example. Qlip mentioned Ti literalisms, but, evidently, that's Ne-fueled Ti. That's a form of humor that, ime, almost no sensor seems to understand, much less appreciate.

Again, this is just another example of something that has been arbitrarily declared to be an "Ne-Ti thing" by people who claim to be Ne-Ti. Self-referential. And nothing about function definitions would imply that "Ti-literalisms" as they were discussed in that thread have anything to do with Ne-Ti.

And humor style is just a minor fraction of the big picture - we're talking about cognitive preferences, and those affect the focus of pretty much everything people write/speak and read/listen. That's part of why sensors are much more likely to misinterpret what I say. So I need to modify my go-to communication style in order to avoid misunderstandings. While that's not a stimulant thing to do, in a world full of sensors we eventually get used to it.

I often have to re-explain myself to people for a variety of reasons...some having to do with them being slow on the uptake, others having to do with physical speech issues (e.g., they didn't hear properly, I was drowned out by something in the environment, whatever), and yet others (the majority, I'd wager) having to do with failures on both our parts to properly navigate our separate experiences and form a common ground upon which to hold a conversation. I'm just not arrogant enough to think, "well, it's just a N/S thing. They're Ns so they don't understand." And if I were, it would be even more ridiculous because just a year or so ago my same kind of experiences would have been "well, it's just a N/S thing. They're Ss so they don't understand."

But in a place dominated by intuitives we don't need to adapt much, as our words won't lose much meaning to people who have similar cognitive preferences. Which is quite... liberating. :)

I'm kind of baffled by this idea that there's some sort of communicative harmony here as a result of your shared cognitive preferences. I haven't seen it, that's for sure.

I suppose im somewhat......irritated by the constant assertion that this is somehow part of MY world because being a sensing type automatically makes things easier for me.

That's because it's irritating.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's better to avoid definitions for now, but I'll work with what I've detected. Let's take this thread, for example. Qlip mentioned Ti literalisms, but, evidently, that's Ne-fueled Ti. That's a form of humor that, ime, almost no sensor seems to understand, much less appreciate.

And humor style is just a minor fraction of the big picture - we're talking about cognitive preferences, and those affect the focus of pretty much everything people write/speak and read/listen. That's part of why sensors are much more likely to misinterpret what I say. So I need to modify my go-to communication style in order to avoid misunderstandings. While that's not a stimulant thing to do, in a world full of sensors we eventually get used to it.

But in a place dominated by intuitives we don't need to adapt much, as our words won't lose much meaning to people who have similar cognitive preferences. Which is quite... liberating. :)
Um....I guess it goes both ways, because you completely misinterpreted my (and, I'm guessing, Orangey's) posts in that thread.

I understand phrases like the ones described in "Ti literalisms" perfectly well and have said things like that all the time (although less often now that I've realized so many people are annoyed by it). It's kind of sarcastic, deadpan, almost trolling humour. Those particular examples seemed more on the mocking/lame side than the funny side, but I've seen some very funny examples elsewhere. I'm not sure why you've decided to claim them for Ne-Ti, perhaps because most of the people posting in that thread were Ne-Ti rather than Se-Ti? (unsurprising, since Ne-Ti outnumbers Se-Ti 10 to 1 on the forum).

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Ah well I give up, it isn't worth moaning about anymore. Let babies have their bottles.

You are....well not what you are, but you are something and that's better than nothing, although some might disagree.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Um....I guess it goes both ways, because you completely misinterpreted my (and, I'm guessing, Orangey's) posts in that thread.

I understand phrases like the ones described in "Ti literalisms" perfectly well and have said things like that all the time (although less often now that I've realized so many people are annoyed by it). It's kind of sarcastic, deadpan, almost trolling humour. Those particular examples seemed more on the mocking/lame side than the funny side, but I've seen some very funny examples elsewhere. I'm not sure why you've decided to claim them for Ne-Ti, perhaps because most of the people posting in that thread were Ne-Ti rather than Se-Ti? (unsurprising, since Ne-Ti outnumbers Se-Ti 10 to 1 on the forum).

Exactly. Any moron could understand the "joke," but not everyone is going to understand why it's funny. The examples given in that thread seemed more like relatively thoughtless derision tactics than attempts at humor, IMO.

Apparently, though, if someone declares that it takes Ne-Ti to understand the humor, then that makes it so!

If I called myself INTP and made a thread declaring that "your mom..." jokes were an Ne-Ti form of humor, it would be accepted at face value as true and people would start to give examples of how they've been misunderstood by dumb Ss in their lives every time they try and say a "your mom..." joke. If we're lucky, we might even get some asshole to come in and declare that "no, it's not Ne-Ti! It's Ni-Te!"

Then you'd get some poor sap Ss or S apologists to come in and be all like, "hey guys, I understand those jokes, too. :cry:"

Fuck it.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually I think the ones at Personality Page are fantastic basic descriptions. I often use them to grab a quick reminder or clarification on a type. Of course, if you want something more in depth and insightful, you are better to look elsewhere.

However the sorts of things I'm talking about are more subtle; like [MENTION=4490]Orangey[/MENTION] said, making NFs sound like rock stars and cultural warriors, and then have SJs characterised as accountants. And as you said, it's not that descriptions for Sensors are negative (or that Sensors are being picked on per se), it's just that they aren't as exciting and appealling (which as a result, may have the effect of making them appear slightly negative in comparison). Anyway, I don't think it's an overwhelming problem; it's just a niggling thing that goes on in the background that can influence things.

I've pointed in the direction of the problem. Ss want descriptions that sound exciting and positive, not boring and negative. I know what would happen if Ss made up the N descriptions, don't you?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I've pointed in the direction of the problem. Ss want descriptions that sound exciting and positive, not boring and negative. I know what would happen if Ss made up the N descriptions, don't you?

I must admit if I could rewrite INTP descriptions id just put a picture of you without any underpants on...buying yesterdays milk.