• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Forum Statistics - % Of MBTI Types

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MacGuffin. He has an N bias in the way I described. I thought of him because of my type thread and him saying istp, or intp the best type. He just feels his N rocks and why not? It makes perfect sense to have a bias towards yourself.

One person cannot affect the graph. But you sound as if this N-bias is a widespread phenomenon. They were using the same kind of argument on the IQ poll thread where the 132-145 category was so high.

There are certain ways to criticize a poll. Researchers can be biased, and poll questions can be biased. But there are also known degrees of uncertainty in any poll study. It's necessary to establish what those degrees are, and just saying people are biased is not the right way to go about it because we all know this already.

By the way, I am a long-time Intuitive with a well-established IQ of 135 based on both online and offline testing, so that cancels out the MacGuffin bias. I'm not a pure intuitive, I'm just saying that I am more intuitive than sensor.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
By the way, I am a long-time Intuitive with a well-established IQ of 135 based on both online and offline testing, so that cancels out the MacGuffin bias. I'm not a pure intuitive, I'm just saying that I am more intuitive than sensor.
:wtf:

wolfy

awsm
I didn't say they weren't related.

Why did you say You don't need the latter to explain the former then? Are you saying that an individual could be a racist regardless of how many of the same race were around him?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you trying to earn plonk status from me with your incessant one-liners and shit?

Don't know what that is.
Don't care.
Think your posts have been nonsensical and you're giving Ns/INTPs a bad name by representing them.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Don't know what that is.
Don't care.
Think your posts have been nonsensical and you're giving Ns/INTPs a bad name by representing them.

I'll take that as a "yes."

*PLONK* (means put on ignore)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why did you say You don't need the latter to explain the former then? Are you saying that an individual could be a racist regardless of how many of the same race were around him?
Oh Jesus. No.
I said it because it's true.

This thread is about why there are a disproportionate # of Ns here.
While it may be true that there is an N bias, it is not a cause of that phenomenon.
It's important when trying to understand the root cause of a phenomenon that you don't muddy the waters with irrelevancies.
If Amazon could generate a graph of the types of people who buy typology books, odds are you'd see a (numerical) N bias there too.

wolfy

awsm
Oh Jesus. No.
I said it because it's true.

This thread is about why there are a disproportionate # of Ns here.
While it may be true that there is an N bias, it is not a cause of that phenomenon.
It's important when trying to understand the root cause of a phenomenon that you don't muddy the waters with irrelevancies.
If Amazon could generate a graph of the types of people who buy typology books, odds are you'd see a (numerical) N bias there too.

I see what you're saying, I just jumped in the conversation halfway through. As to the cause of the numerical bias, it is a combination of false test results and intuitives attraction to abstraction.

Makes me think, why am I still here?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see what you're saying, I just jumped in the conversation halfway through. As to the cause of the numerical bias, it is a combination of false test results and intuitives attraction to abstraction.

Makes me think, why am I still here?

What numerical bias? Exactly how much bias is there? Can you give a percentage?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I think some of the N bias is a me bias as well. I imagine there are a percentage of people mistyped for whatever reason. And there is also people who really are N and think that is where it is at. I am okay with that, I think S is where it is. It seems inevitable that the combination of an abstract concept and ego would cause an N bias overall.

The more time goes by, the more I agree that S is really where it's at.

:cheers:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Hmm im wondering if, once you had decided on a type or taken a test, that staying or joining such forums as these is even worth it if you typed as an S type.....or at least an SF type.

Because it surely cant be beneficial to a feeling type once they understand how they are perceived, even if it is a mainly decent forum such as this one. Afterall the point of this theory is to induce a level of understanding and consideration both of yourself and of others. If you dont agree that this is the point read Gift's Differing and Jung's Psycological Types.

So if we take this induction to consideration and understanding at face value, we know that there is nothing wrong with disliking something because it makes you feel bad, especially when it is something unnecessary and has nothing to do with truth. The point being that such an environment would merely cause misery to a person and so make them worse than when they came in, undermining the objective in the first place.

Of course this is not really my view, but it was an idea. Also im not really assuming the perceptions of individuals here, once again...just an idea.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The more time goes by, the more I agree that S is really where it's at.

Obviously I can't speak for all Sensors, but my iNtuitor friends have generally been much more receptive to the MBTI than my Sensor friends have been. Some examples of their reasons:

ISFJ (female, women's studies major): "God, I HATE the MBTI. I took the test and it told me that I should be a stewardess, or something. It was offensive."*
ISTJ (female, math major): "It's a form of stereotyping! It's not scientifically accurate! COMPLETELY speculative."
ISFP (female, goes to RISD): "I don't need someone else to tell me who I am. I know who I am."

In theory, I'm guessing that a lot of Sensors either wouldn't see the practical possibilities of the test, or wouldn't be interested in it enough to seek out more evidence on a forum, or would be annoyed by internet forum culture in general (which I find common; SJs aren't huge fans of NT trolling and pseudo-trolling, and would probably prefer more rule of law than internet forums allow for). I, for one, would never have joined this forum were I not motivated to Te-based action by idiotic anti-ESTJ stereotyping here. Were it not for that, I doubt that I ever would have joined any MBTI forum, let alone this one. It was a fluke.

* I'll bet this is a pretty common reason with SJs and STPs; our type descriptions aren't the best. It's common knowledge that NT descriptions make them look like scientific geniuses, SFP descriptions make them look like artistic geniuses, NF descriptions make them look psychic, whereas SJs and STPs are relegated to manual labor and and the corporate rat race.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm im wondering if, once you had decided on a type or taken a test, that staying or joining such forums as these is even worth it if you typed as an S type.....or at least an SF type.

Because it surely cant be beneficial to a feeling type once they understand how they are perceived, even if it is a mainly decent forum such as this one. Afterall the point of this theory is to induce a level of understanding and consideration both of yourself and of others. If you dont agree that this is the point read Gift's Differing and Jung's Psycological Types.

So if we take this induction to consideration and understanding at face value, we know that there is nothing wrong with disliking something because it makes you feel bad, especially when it is something unnecessary and has nothing to do with truth. The point being that such an environment would merely cause misery to a person and so make them worse than when they came in, undermining the objective in the first place.

Of course this is not really my view, but it was an idea. Also im not really assuming the perceptions of individuals here, once again...just an idea.

I'm not criticizing you here, just responding to you as a more thoughtful poster with fewer one-line responses that detract from discussion. While everybody on this forum is into typology, more or less and sometimes on an expert level, I'm seeing that little or no ability to understand "where people are coming from" is very common.

If, for example, I was one of those SF types who thinks I already have knowledge of people - I simply have a knack for it - what the hell do I need some artificial typology for?

If, for example, I am a Johnny-one-note in how I deal with most people, such that I use one method and that works for me, what the hell do I need typology for?

This to me is common sense. And yet what I find on this forum is the assumption that just because everybody around here is into typology therefore everybody else is, or at least they should be. So I think your idea that typology exists to help people understand one another, while true, has been proven to fail. Typology has failed to produce the goods.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Obviously I can't speak for all Sensors, but my iNtuitor friends have generally been much more receptive to the MBTI than my Sensor friends have been. Some examples of their reasons:

ISFJ (female, women's studies major): "God, I HATE the MBTI. I took the test and it told me that I should be a stewardess, or something. It was offensive."*
ISTJ (female, math major): "It's a form of stereotyping! It's not scientifically accurate! COMPLETELY speculative."
ISFP (female, goes to RISD): "I don't need someone else to tell me who I am. I know who I am."

But from a more theoretical point of view, not necessarily based on evidence, I'm guessing that a lot of Sensors either wouldn't see the practical possibilities of the test, or wouldn't be interested in it enough to seek out more evidence on a forum, or would be annoyed by internet forum culture in general (which I find common; SJs aren't huge fans of NT trolling and pseudo-trolling, and would probably prefer more rule of law than internet forums allow for). I, for one, would never have joined this forum were I not motivated to Te-based action by idiotic anti-ESTJ stereotyping here. Were it not for that, I doubt that I ever would have joined any MBTI forum, let alone this one. It was a fluke.

* I'll bet this is a pretty common reason with SJs and STPs; our type descriptions aren't the best. It's common knowledge that NT descriptions make them look like scientific geniuses, SFP descriptions make them look like artistic geniuses, NF descriptions make them look psychic, whereas SJs and STPs are relegated to manual labor and and the corporate rat race.

This is generally true, ime, although it can also happen with Ns (my INFJ friend: "why do you have to put people in boxes, everyone is SO UNIQUE zomg" :laugh:).

I think the descriptions are one of the biggest problems, actually. Honestly, I think it's very likely that I would have rejected MBTI completely as a bunch of horseshit if I'd typed accurately on their tests and read all about my future career as a mechanic (nothing wrong with them, but not even remotely interested) and all this nonsense about being unimaginative, thrill-seeking cretins who can't see further than tomorrow. I happened to type as INTP from the questions, almost certainly because I view myself as intelligent (and it took me a few years to figure out that I was mistaken**). The description for that isn't completely accurate for me, of course, but it was close enough to get me interested in exploring further.

I would actually say that the INTP descriptions online describe me far better than the ISTP ones, although I am fairly certain that I am in fact ISTP. Just not the 80-IQ ISTP typically found in those descriptions.

So, it's almost certainly a combination of many factors. Biased attitude on the forums chasing people away, perhaps. Fewer Ss around here to identify with, certainly. Mistyping, certainly some (I would guess 10-25% are mistyped, but not all of those are S). Typology being too abstract or not scientific enough is probably a factor. Negative/inaccurate descriptions almost certainly lead Ss to reject MBTI altogether or to mistype as Ns. Ss are probably more likely to be involved in RL activities and have less time for internet things. Ss are probably less interested in forums without clear practical purposes. Many people come here from other type forums where there is much worse S bias. etc, etc, etc.

Many things are likely to affect the ratio, and when they all act (either additively or synergistically), you get the dramatic differences in ratios that you see here.

edit: **ha! I just noticed this bit. mistaken about being INTP, not mistaken about being intelligent. Although sometimes I wonder... :D

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is generally true, ime, although it can also happen with Ns (my INFJ friend: "why do you have to put people in boxes, everyone is SO UNIQUE zomg" :laugh:).

I think the descriptions are one of the biggest problems, actually. Honestly, I think it's very likely that I would have rejected MBTI completely as a bunch of horseshit if I'd typed accurately on their tests and read all about my future career as a mechanic (nothing wrong with them, but not even remotely interested) and all this nonsense about being unimaginative, thrill-seeking cretins who can't see further than tomorrow. I happened to type as INTP from the questions, almost certainly because I view myself as intelligent (and it took me a few years to figure out that I was mistaken). The description for that isn't completely accurate for me, of course, but it was close enough to get me interested in exploring further.

I would actually say that the INTP descriptions online describe me far better than the ISTP ones, although I am fairly certain that I am in fact ISTP. Just not the 80-IQ ISTP typically found in those descriptions.

So, it's almost certainly a combination of many factors. Biased attitude on the forums chasing people away, perhaps. Fewer Ss around here to identify with, certainly. Mistyping, certainly some (I would guess 10-25% are mistyped, but not all of those are S). Typology being too abstract or not scientific enough is probably a factor. Negative/inaccurate descriptions almost certainly lead Ss to reject MBTI altogether or to mistype as Ns. Ss are probably more likely to be involved in RL activities and have less time for internet things. Ss are probably less interested in forums without clear practical purposes. Many people come here from other type forums where there is much worse S bias. etc, etc, etc.

Many things are likely to affect the ratio, and when they all act (either additively or synergistically), you get the dramatic differences in ratios that you see here.

Those who disagree with me should also disagree with you. I bet they don't have the balls to.

By the way, here is a page full of ISTP occupations. "Mechanic" is not listed, "airline mechanic" is. Ok I also see Mechanic listed with a hundred other occupations.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...&sig=AHIEtbQbHlqSNfLubeNi4m4Vzb33Iam1AA&pli=1

I'm not sure where you got the 80-iq idea from, I don't know of any description pages that characterize any type by intelligence.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Highlander, is it possible to see how many EXXPs there are or IXTX or even random letters? We could possibly use that to try to see how many undecided members there are.

Of the 15,106 members that have signed up to be a member since the forum's inception, 43% do not have one of the valid 16 MBTI types. There is no way easy way to tell those who attempt to put a type which is not one of the 16 because there a lot of variations including nonsense types, partial MBTI types (e.g. with some Xs in there) or socionics types.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those who disagree with me should also disagree with you. I bet they don't have the balls to.
If I could see that you had a coherent argument, I would know whether I agreed with it. At this point, I'm unclear.

By the way, here is a page full of ISTP occupations. "Mechanic" is not listed, "airline mechanic" is. Ok I also see Mechanic listed with a hundred other occupations.
Thank you for your highly relevant uncited document which singehandedly negates my experiences with online ISTP descriptions, which is what I was discussing.
I'm not sure where you got the 80-iq idea from, I don't know of any description pages that characterize any type by intelligence.
Even an S can read between the lines, my friend. If you take a look at the online descriptions out there, I'm sure your 135 IQ can manage to parse a few implications from the literal text.