• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Guess the Author's Personality Type Based on a Writing Sample

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Miscegenation. The word is humpbacked, ugly, portending a monstrous outcome: like antebellum or octoroon, it evokes images of another era, a distant world of horsewhips and flames, dead magnolias and crumbling porticos. And yet it wasn’t until 1967-the year I celebrated my sixth birthday and Jimi Hendrix performed at Monterey, three years after Dr. King received the Nobel Peace Prize, a time when America had already begun to weary of black demands for equality, the problem of discrimination presumably solved-that the Supreme Court of the United States would get around to telling the state of Virginia that its ban on interracial marriages violated the Constitution. In 1960, the year that my parents were married, miscegenation still described a felony in over half the states in the Union. In many parts of the South, my father could have been strung up from a tree for merely looking at my mother the wrong way; in the most sophisticated of northern cities, the hostile stares, the whispers, might have driven a woman in my mother’s predicament into a back-alley abortion-or at the very least to a distant convent that could arrange for adoption. Their very image together would have been considered lurid and perverse, a handy retort to the handful of softheaded liberals who supported a civil rights agenda. Sure-but would you let your daughter marry one?"

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION]
I went with ENTP because it reminds me a bit of the type of a way of the text progressing that is a bit Umberto Ecoish. I've been on some website that identified him as an ENTP and found it plausible. I haven't put any thought into it, though.
I'm guessing the type you're searching for is INTP then. ;)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION]
I went with ENTP because it reminds me a bit of the type of a way of the text progressing that is a bit Umberto Ecoish. I've been on some website that identified him as an ENTP and found it plausible. I haven't put any thought into it, though.
I'm guessing the type you're searching for is INTP then. ;)

Not ENFP?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually thought ENTJ without the sway of the Ne answers. This thread may be better with spoiler tags

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not ENFP?
Yeah yeah yeah.... Of course. Is that Hunter S. Thompson?
EDIT: I'm a bit sleep deprived today... No it's not...:fpalm: me ;) My oh my...but Thompsonesque=ENFP ???

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah yeah yeah.... Of course. Is that Hunter S. Thompson?

It's the Pres., "Dreams from my Father." His style is quite striking, with its abundant metaphors and pompous phraseology.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's the Pres., "Dreams from my Father." His style is quite striking, with its abundant metaphors and pompous phraseology.
Maybe it's the pompous phraseology and abundant metaphors that made me think of Eco, who is a brilliant author, but pompously metaphorical. :D
ENFP maybe because of the subject matter I thought...and it read a bit like Hunter S. to me...(if you read it in your mind narrated with his voice...) I wasn't actually paying enough attention to WHAT was being said. ;)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe it's the pompous phraseology and abundant metaphors that made me think of Eco, who is a brilliant author, but pompously metaphorical. :D
ENFP maybe because of the subject matter I thought...and it read a bit like Hunter S. to me...(if you read it in your mind narrated with his voice...) I wasn't actually paying enough attention to WHAT was being said. ;)

Yes, I read it with a couple of different tones in my head but Hunter S. definitely came to mind a few times which made me sway a bit.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I can read things in my mind narrated with Arnold Schwartzenegger's voice, but I'm afraid that's as far as that talent goes.

Are you an English major? Then you would be better at finding good examples to quiz us with.

S

Society

ok, next one:

“We believe that we invent symbols. The truth is that they invent us; we are their creatures, shaped by their hard, defining edges. When soldiers take their oath they are given a coin, an asimi stamped with the profile of the Autarch. Their acceptance of that coin is their acceptance of the special duties and burdens of military life—they are soldiers from that moment, though they may know nothing of the management of arms. I did not know that then, but it is a profound mistake to believe that we must know of such things to be influenced by them, and in fact to believe so is to believe in the most debased and superstitious kind of magic. The would-be sorcerer alone has faith in the efficacy of pure knowledge; rational people know that things act of themselves or not at all.”

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"It was a good morning, Wilson thought. There was a heavy dew and as the wheels went through the grass and low bushes he could smell the odor of the crushed fronds. It was an odor like verbena and he liked this early morning smell of the dew, the crushed bracken and the look of the tree trunks showing black through the early morning mist, as the car made its way through the untracked, parklike country. He had put the two in the back seat now and was thinking about buffalo. The buffalo that he was after stayed in the daytime in a thick swamp where it was impossible to get a shot, but in the night they fed out into an open stretch of country..."

Guess the author's type.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ok, next one:

“We believe that we invent symbols. The truth is that they invent us; we are their creatures, shaped by their hard, defining edges. When soldiers take their oath they are given a coin, an asimi stamped with the profile of the Autarch. Their acceptance of that coin is their acceptance of the special duties and burdens of military life—they are soldiers from that moment, though they may know nothing of the management of arms. I did not know that then, but it is a profound mistake to believe that we must know of such things to be influenced by them, and in fact to believe so is to believe in the most debased and superstitious kind of magic. The would-be sorcerer alone has faith in the efficacy of pure knowledge; rational people know that things act of themselves or not at all.”

ISTJ?

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
I can read things in my mind narrated with Arnold Schwartzenegger's voice, but I'm afraid that's as far as that talent goes.
:happy2: I think Arnie is most fun when doing romantic poetry... sets the mood somehow... like maybe
I Will Be Here

If in the morning when you wake,

If the sun does not appear,

I will be here.

If in the dark we lose sight of love,

Hold my hand and have no fear,

I will be here.

I will be here,

When you feel like being quiet,

When you need to speak your mind I will listen.

Through the winning, losing, and trying we'll be together,

And I will be here.

If in the morning when you wake,

If the future is unclear,

I will be here.

As sure as seasons were made for change,

Our lifetimes were made for years,

I will be here.

Bereft

by Robert Frost

Are you an English major? Then you would be better at finding good examples to quiz us with.
No but I can fake being one for a very short period of time. .... A very very short period. ;)
Yes, I read it with a couple of different tones in my head but Hunter S. definitely came to mind a few times which made me sway a bit.
I know right... Too bad he can't because of the you know.... not being alive. Otherwise he would have been perfect. The Prez' "Dreams from My Father" Narrated by Hunter S. Thompson, audio book. I smell a best-seller.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
really? what makes you think ISTJ?

My first impression was INFJ, but then I changed my mind. I need a longer sample. The ISTJ type can engage in such thinking, although what I'm seeing is more of a meta-ISTJ thinking. The ISTJ types I've known aren't given to pondering quite like this. But I went with my second guess anyway because Si is a symbolic type.

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've got one. Anyone up for some typing? :)
My name is Eva, which means "life," according to a book of names my mother consulted. I was born in the back room of a shadowy house, and grew up amidst ancient furniture, books in Latin, and human mummies, but none of those things made me melancholy, because I came into the world with a breath of the jungle in my memory. My father, an Indian with yellow eyes, came from the place where the hundred rivers meet; he smelled of lush growing things and he never looked directly at the sky, because he had grown up beneath a canopy of trees, and light seemed indecent to him. Consuelo, my mother, spent her childhood in an enchanted region where for centuries adventurers have searched for the city of pure gold the conquistadors saw when they peered into the abyss of their own ambitions. She was marked forever by that landscape, and in some way she managed to pass that sign on to me.

Missionaries took Consuelo in before she learned to walk; she appeared one day, a naked cub caked with mud and excrement, crawling across the footbridge from the dock like a tiny Jonah vomited up by some freshwater whale. When they bathed her, it was clear beyond a shadow of doubt that she was a girl, which must have caused no little consternation among them; but she was already there and it would not do to throw her into the river, so they draped her in a diaper to cover her shame, squeezed a few drops of lemon into her eyes to heal the infection that had prevented her from opening them, and baptized her with the first female name that came to mind. They then proceeded to bring her up, without fuss or effort to find out where she came from; they were sure that if Divine Providence had kept her alive until they found her, it would also watch over her physical and spiritual well-being, or, in the worst of cases, would bear her off to heaven along with the other innocents. Consuelo grew up without any fixed niche in the strict hierarchy of the Mission. She was not exactly a servant, but neither did she have the status of the Indian boys in the school, and when she asked which of the priests was her father, she was cuffed for her insolence. She told me that a Dutch sailor had set her adrift in a rowboat, but that was likely a story that she had invented to protect herself from the onslaught of my questions. I think the truth is that she knew nothing about her origins or how she had come to be where the missionaries found her.