• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ti Literalisms

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been spending some time with a couple of INTPs, and I'm amused by what I can only assume are [amusing] Ti prompted conflicts with metaphor. I thought I'd start a thread hoping others would pitch in.

My friend, reading the lyrics to a Japanese song, laughed at "I will continue to run after my last breath" and responded, "So, she's a zombie?".

Same friend, same song: "I stand in the lonely rain", response: "How can rain be lonely?"

A young INTP, watching 'Dr Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog' remarks, "Don't they notice that they're suddenly singing? Musicals are weird."

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
INTJs are even worse - at least the INTP has Ne working on their side.
as INTJ only really ever understands their own metaphors, and Te is even more literal!

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTJs are even worse - at least the INTP has Ne working on their side.
as INTJ only really ever understands their own metaphors, and Te is even more literal!

I'll have to keep my eye out for the Te variety. I noticed that INTJs will forcefully appropriate metaphors and do wrong things to them.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That kind of too-literalism can definitely happen, but keep in mind that Ti-types sometimes take things literally in order to be funny/irritating. Deliberately misinterpreting things (including level of abstraction) has its own rewards.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'll have to keep my eye out for the Te variety. I noticed that INTJs will forcefully appropriate metaphors and do wrong things to them.
yes.

That kind of too-literalism can definitely happen, but keep in mind that Ti-types sometimes take things literally in order to be funny/irritating. Deliberately misinterpreting things (including level of abstraction) has its own rewards.
yes.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Oh, no doubt. My friend understands, he just wishes he didn't. An the young INTP was confused, but managed to figure it out.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50

I thought the zombie quip was fairly amusing, myself.

G

Ginkgo

I think if an INTJ forcefully misappropriates a metaphor, it's because they've picked up a general understanding of an outside source without regarding the finer structure of that general understanding and how it would be applied in a metaphor accordingly. An INTJ would be perceived as literal because he insists on a literal expression of dogma rather than a devotion to the finer points of his own systematic comprehension. It's as though an INTP would prefer knocking down a single domino to achieve the same effect an INTJ would cause by steamrolling the entire set. The relationships an INTP would draw through metaphor are dependent on a particular portion of one body of thought compared to another, resulting in what would appear to be a completely random relationship being drawn between two loosely similar things. On the other hand, and INTJ would pick up tons of information to appropriate a more comprehensive metaphor, even in the form of a novel being rigorously stitched together between a plot and a single theme. Idk, I think everyone is literal but those who are sometimes noted for their literal interpretations are simply overly dogmatic, and in being rigid, one may actually inhibit understanding of literacy by refusing to admit the presence of assumptions.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
... keep in mind that Ti-types sometimes take things literally in order to be funny/irritating. Deliberately misinterpreting things (including level of abstraction) has its own rewards.

:smile:

Yes, it's often just a humorous footnote.

PS. Where did you hide my rewards?

I thought the zombie quip was fairly amusing, myself.

I smiled at the other two.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTPs don't have as much sense of 'the point' of a particular thing which is why they take things not to different perceptions to find the point, but to a framework that makes sense as a build up of logical thought.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That kind of too-literalism can definitely happen, but keep in mind that Ti-types sometimes take things literally in order to be funny/irritating.

I've been guilty of this.

James Woods

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
INTP's are literally the funniest type.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Sounds like the jokes of bad Te. That is, ISFP/INFP.

Or maybe an asperger's ISTJ.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Don't get me started on Aspie ISTJ. Won't eat a sweet potato because it's unnatural. Potatoes are not sweet. Why would you do that to a potato. etc.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hah!
I often do that with biblical passages, so I guess I'm a bit more inconvenient.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yes haha

Sometimes when a metaphor makes 'sense', an INTP will come along and break it up with surgeonic precision, crapping all over the metaphor, explaining that your girlfriend can't fart rainbows...or whatever.

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so

I do this all the time, but people usually react by trying to explain it, and then I have to snap, "I KNOW! I WAS JOKING!" And then I'm just irritated. To their credit, it's hard to tell when I'm joking.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
that's where all my miscommunications with intp's come from...ha ha...it doesn't end well.

A

Anew Leaf

I've been spending some time with a couple of INTPs, and I'm amused by what I can only assume are [amusing] Ti prompted conflicts with metaphor. I thought I'd start a thread hoping others would pitch in.

My friend, reading the lyrics to a Japanese song, laughed at "I will continue to run after my last breath" and responded, "So, she's a zombie?".

Same friend, same song: "I stand in the lonely rain", response: "How can rain be lonely?"

A young INTP, watching 'Dr Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog' remarks, "Don't they notice that they're suddenly singing? Musicals are weird."

HAHA The zombie one is hilarious.

This is the crux of the double edged sword that is Ti. It can be very amusing in these cases where the absurdity of a situation is thrown into the spotlight... and then it can be downright agonizing when it gets a bit too serious.

But... that's what makes INTJs so much fun.... :D

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
God, these all sound like really, really bad jokes. Are you people actually proud of this shit? I wouldn't want to admit to it even if I were guilty of doing it.

The only time literalizing a metaphor could be funny is if you turned it into a sexual joke. And even then it would have to be self-conscious or ironic, which can be grating if not done properly.

Please don't blame this on Ti.