• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people have a problem with people mistyping themselves?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There have been some very good comments made to which I will respond, but my response is long and involved, and I am still composing it.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know. I meant to say that it COULD be an expression of Fi. Besides, what I was trying to point out when I said that was 'how she phrased the idea,' and not necessarily what she said. I expanded on this in another post later on.

Yes, I knew people would pick up on that. I just didn't know another good way to phrase it.

It seems odd to me that you think other people telling you that they think you're INTP actually increases your chances of being INTP. (By the way, are you also keeping track of how many people do NOT think you're INTP? Are their opinions being included in your decision-making process?) I can't speak for all INTPs, but I don't think like this at all. More points (in my mind) towards Te-usage, as that's the kind of thinking that relies on external validation of their thoughts and ideas.

This is from the very INTP profile that you claimed to feel almost emotionally attached to:

I can honestly say F you to other people's opinions when I'm trying to work something out; I prefer to figure things out by myself. I would only consult a few individuals if any (it seldom happens), and these individuals would be people whom have my utmost respect for their intelligence and amazing insight. Personally, I can't imagine nor fathom asking a bunch of random people on the Internet for opinions on my type (or any serious issue pertaining to myself) - I tend to distrust other people's input (generally speaking). In my mind, only the opinions of people who have gained my personal respect really count. And that's at most a handful of people.

Again, I can only speak for myself. I'm just trying to give OP more food for thought.

Also, for the record, I'm a female INTP. :)

I don't think it increases my chances of being INTP, nor do I think people telling me I am INFP increases the chances of me being INFP. I simply always entertain the possibility that I could be mistaken either in my logic or in the truth value of my premises. What other people's opinions do is the following: 1) They can assess whether my reasoning is valid (for which I feel less of a need), 2) assess the truth value of my premises (kind of important), 3) assess whether I am correctly using and applying terms and whether I have the correct definitions (pretty important as Fi is an elusive and confusing creature), and 4) give me directions for further investigation (i.e. if most people's collective "vibe" is INFP rather than INTP it gives me the opportunity to investigate why and perhaps uncover subtle nuances which I may have missed; or it is an indicator, as some have pointed out, that I am biased and other people are in a position to point that out). (And yes, I am keeping track of the relative quantity of opinion on both sides.) The reason I haven't agreed on a type just yet is for the simple reason that I don't just take people's opinions at face value or consider people to be experts. If it doesn't make sense to me, it doesn't, and I can't believe it if I don't. Things must compute.

EDIT: Here's a question to ask yourself: How do you judge new ideas? Do you try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it? From what I've seen, you do the latter. I, a Ti-driven INTP, do the former.

Honestly I don't think I could reach a sound conclusion without doing both. Sound logic requires not only a valid argument, but true premises. I begin by understanding the underlying principles and seeing whether I think it makes sense (Ti), and then if I am unsure about the truth of my premises, I seek evidence (and objective feedback) (Te). Ti provides the structure and to assess validity and Te provides a reality check to assess soundness.

(There's more to this, but this is all I feel like writing at the moment.)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
While this has turned into another "what's my type?" thread I'll address the OP:

Because when someone identifies with a type that seems very wrong it is like nails on a chalkboard.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
While this has turned into another "what's my type?" thread I'll address the OP:

Because when someone identifies with a type that seems very wrong it is like nails on a chalkboard.

Yes, and fair enough. Which I now understand. I'll redirect comments about me to my personal thread from this point on.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IIt seems odd to me that you think other people telling you that they think you're INTP actually increases your chances of being INTP. (By the way, are you also keeping track of how many people do NOT think you're INTP? Are their opinions being included in your decision-making process?) I can't speak for all INTPs, but I don't think like this at all. More points (in my mind) towards Te-usage, as that's the kind of thinking that relies on external validation of their thoughts and ideas.

INTPs don't make "Type Me!!!!11!" threads. Far more common for another type to mistype as INTP, than vice versa. Not being sure you're INTP is evidence that you aren't. (Although being sure you are isn't evidence that you are.)

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think it increases my chances of being INTP, nor do I think people telling me I am INFP increases the chances of me being INFP. I simply always entertain the possibility that I could be mistaken either in my logic or in the truth value of my premises. What other people's opinions do is the following: 1) They can assess whether my reasoning is valid (for which I feel less of a need), 2) assess the truth value of my premises (kind of important), 3) assess whether I am correctly using and applying terms and whether I have the correct definitions (pretty important as Fi is an elusive and confusing creature), and 4) give me directions for further investigation (i.e. if most people's collective "vibe" is INFP rather than INTP it gives me the opportunity to investigate why and perhaps uncover subtle nuances which I may have missed; or it is an indicator, as some have pointed out, that I am biased and other people are in a position to point that out). (And yes, I am keeping track of the relative quantity of opinion on both sides.)

I don't believe you do that, not anymore...
And I don't see how the ensuing part of your post indicates that you're INTP. Not in any way. I see no signs of Ti. None.

The reason I haven't agreed on a type just yet is for the simple reason that I don't just take people's opinions at face value or consider people to be experts. If it doesn't make sense to me, it doesn't, and I can't believe it if I don't. Things must compute.

I can easily imagine a Fi-dom saying this. Or any sensible person regardless of type, actually.

Honestly I don't think I could reach a sound conclusion without doing both. Sound logic requires not only a valid argument, but true premises. I begin by understanding the underlying principles and seeing whether I think it makes sense (Ti), and then if I am unsure about the truth of my premises, I seek evidence (and objective feedback) (Te). Ti provides the structure and to assess validity and Te provides a reality check to assess soundness.

(There's more to this, but this is all I feel like writing at the moment.)

The question wasn't meant to be taken in such a colloquial sense.

Also - you simply cannot have both well developed Ti AND Te, for they are functions that operate in opposite directions. That's like saying you can have good Fi and Fe at the same time. Take your pick.

While I'm at it:

It's not that important. I like INTP more than INFP at the moment. Which does not affect what the reality of my type is of course, but if I seem equally like each of them in my mind, I could just pick one and it wouldn't make a difference. And one reason I don't want to be INFP is that there are a lot of characteristics of the type that really annoy me, and I don't want to have them. It's like the reverse of the NT club. It's the anti-Fi club. Any traces of those characteristics which may have been present in myself, I have done a good job of wiping out. There's nothing that really annoys me about INTP's. There are a lot of ways I in fact don't fit INFP anyway, which is what prompted me to look more into typology. I thought INTP was a good fit, so I stuck with it. Most of my research confirmed my choice. I like to think my reasoning is reliable, so it's kind of important to me to make the correct choice. But whatever. As much as I hate it I'm not easily categorizable, and that's fine. the bottom line is that if I were to be INFP I would kind of suck at it. Whereas I'm pretty good at being INTP, minus people's stereotyping. I'd rather be something I'm good at. See?

This is a bunch of absolute nonsense. I'm sorry, it really is.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, I'm going to believe I know what my type is even if not one single other person on here agrees with me. I would rather be crazy and believe I am sane and be happy than believe I am crazy and be unhappy. That seems to be what it comes down to since I believe the definitions of functions apply to me at least 75% and some people believe it's 0%. Which if true would mean I don't understand the English language and am probably crazy.

That might be completely illogical, but I don't care.

If this annoys you, you'll just have to deal with it. End of story.

And I believe we've firmly established that the answer to the question in the OP is that it bothers people because it doesn't make sense to them and they like making sense. End of thread. I don't know how to close it.

rav3n

Ok, I'm going to believe I know what my type is even if not one single other person on here agrees with me. I would rather be crazy and believe I am sane and be happy than believe I am crazy and be unhappy. That seems to be what it comes down to since I believe the definitions of functions apply to me at least 75% and some people believe it's 0%. Which if true would mean I don't understand the English language and am probably crazy.

That might be completely illogical, but I don't care.

If this annoys you, you'll just have to deal with it. End of story.

And I believe we've firmly established that the answer to the question in the OP is that it bothers people because it doesn't make sense to them and they like making sense. End of thread. I don't know how to close it.
How Fi/Ne of you to completely toss logic out to sea where it then lands on the Curiosity Rover and eventually ends up on the surface of Mars.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How Fi/Ne of you to completely toss logic out to sea where it then lands on the Curiosity Rover and eventually ends up on the surface of Mars.

Yep, that's me. F logic since it's a foreign language to me. But nevertheless, I endeavor to learn it. XNXX it is.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yep, that's me. F logic since it's a foreign language to me. But nevertheless, I endeavor to learn it. XNXX it is.

It should really be INxx because nobody that I have seen has even suggested you are extraverted!

Permabanned
This thread title can be summarize as "Why do people have a problem with_____" :coffee:
/thread

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Me. ("Closet" extrovert. Just a theory.)

Well if you really are extraverted but you are hiding it you have done a pretty slick job though I find this hard to believe.

If you are type 5 and extraverted the most likely type for you would be ENTP but this won't work because you are introverted and if you try to be extraverted it won't be natural behavior.

dobages

MBTI Type
----
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is it at all possible for a person's MBTI to change over time if he consciously chooses to develop functions of his pleasing?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought this was worth repeating. I whole-heartedly concur. Lol.

Red Herring: That is your prerogative and completely fine with me, but I had to laugh out loud because it is probably the most Fi thing I have read on this forum in quite some time!!! :D

Me: Yes, I have the right to be wrong! :soapbox: :solidarity: :2ar15: :fairy: :unicorn:

And so are those emoticons. :)

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is it at all possible for a person's MBTI to change over time if he consciously chooses to develop functions of his pleasing?

In my opinion it is. Disclaimer: my opinion may be completely untrustworthy.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well if you really are extraverted but you are hiding it you have done a pretty slick job though I find this hard to believe.

If you are type 5 and extraverted the most likely type for you would be ENTP but this won't work because you are introverted and if you try to be extraverted it won't be natural behavior.

I'll PM you.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The first law of MBTI is that YOUR TYPE CANNOT CHANGE! You are born with a type and you remain that type your entire life. Can you act like other types or take on their traits? Of course you can but it will be a skill you have to learn and by the end of the day it will be an energy drain. Your real type is the state you feel most comfortable in, what is most natural to you. So do you feel more yourself being INFP, INTP, xNxx or whatever else there is?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The first law of MBTI is that YOUR TYPE CANNOT CHANGE! You are born with a type and you remain that type your entire life. Can you act like other types or take on their traits? Of course you can but it will be a skill you have to learn and by the end of the day it will be an energy drain. Your real type is the state you feel most comfortable in, what is most natural to you. So do you feel more yourself being INFP, INTP, xNxx or whatever else there is?

I dunno. It would seem to be one thing, but insinuating that I am more comfortable with one thing than another looks like Fi again. And I feel most myself preferring thinking, but whatever. My feelings and reality might not match up. So XNXX is fine. I feel most comfortable defying the "laws" of MBTI and trying my absolute best to develop every one of my functions to its fullest extent and mastering the skills of every type. I want to be the true chameleon and play the part of every one I am drawn to. That's most myself.