• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people have a problem with people mistyping themselves?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I truly believe you get one chance at an accurate typing.

Unfortunately that time has long passed, for you, and for almost everyone on this site.

You must be able to answer these questions without any prior knowledge. If you begin to analyze it you lose the raw data, it becomes meta and your impression of yourself gets distorted. Any test after the first is confirmation bias.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I tested infp first. Do you think I'm infp?

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have considered it many times, and I evaluate each comment. I just have reasons why I think of things differently, and people don't really want to thoroughly discuss all the details because they see that as arguing. Well, I can't change my mind without argument. I can't believe I'm wrong until I'm proven wrong. I can't change my mind based on social pressure. Even if I think I should, if I don't believe it, I don't. If I could just agree with everyone so they wouldn't be annoyed anymore, I'd probably do it. But I can't because I don't. I might in the future, but it takes a lot of in depth comments about specific cognitive functions and function order and specifically how they apply to me and why my characteristics can't be explained by other CF's. And if people don't want to go to all that trouble, I'm not going to change my mind. If people are annoyed enough, that's what they have to do. Debate with me about my type and win. I am listening. And I am starting to see how I could be INFP, I'm just not there yet.

Have you considered being a 9 as well? That and 6 are possibly the hardest to type out of the lot. When 9s look inward, they're like 'ah, but I do that too!' and all, so it makes typing a challenge.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're INTP. Im sure. Im the ultimate INTP(hehe), and i get your inferior Fe. It's simply about being a sensitive person, i think.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hey, I wouldn't worry too much. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to let the mess settle and to sort out the bad/useless info from the good. I know it must be frustrating to be confused about your type and to have people tell you what you are, but with some people it just doesn't click immediately. Anyway you'll be amazed at how much your understanding of type, the functions and yourself improves over time (even if you think you have your understanding down pat).

I personally go back and forth when I try to work out your type. Whenever, I decide you must be a INTP, you write something that makes me think you're a INFP. Then whenever I decide you're Fi-dom, you say something that sounds so utterly Ti and again I am filled with doubt - you certainly seem borderline. You should probably talk more to some of the other borderline INXPs (or INXPs who have seriously considered if they are both at some point) like [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] and [MENTION=10653]SuchIrony[/MENTION] (both of whom also happen to be smart and well-informed :) ) and see how they have grasped the differences. I also believe I have INTP qualities myself which has been a little confusing in the past but consider myself firmly a INFP and Fi-dom.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

No, you fit with my image of ENFP.

(Now I should do what I ask of other people and give reasons. Thinking how to say it...)
Your communication style looks like my ENFP sister's (minus all the profanity haha), and I can see similarities to Elfboy's. INFP's tend to put all of their thoughts into words and ENFP's tend to use words to convey impressions. Unless INFP's are being poetic, in which case they use words to convey impressions too. But ENFP's are casual about it. They convey enthusiasm and friendliness most of the time rather than poetry. They want to give the impression of whatever attitude they are feeling at the time. It has a light-hearted or passionate tone usually. INFPs' writing style has a heavier and more serious tone usually.

(Thoughts: so in analyzing what I just said I realized I talked about nuances of tone, which could be Fi. But the way I picked apart the differences with pairs of contrasting terms is something that would have struck me as Ti before. I'm starting to see what Fi could look like.)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, you fit with my image of ENFP.

(Now I should do what I ask of other people and give reasons. Thinking how to say it...)
Your communication style looks like my ENFP sister's (minus all the profanity haha), and I can see similarities to Elfboy's. INFP's tend to put all of their thoughts into words and ENFP's tend to use words to convey impressions. Unless INFP's are being poetic, in which case they use words to convey impressions too. But ENFP's are casual about it. They convey enthusiasm and friendliness most of the time rather than poetry. They want to give the impression of whatever attitude they are feeling at the time. It has a light-hearted or passionate tone usually. INFPs' writing style has a heavier and more serious tone usually.

(Thoughts: so in analyzing what I just said I realized I talked about nuances of tone, which could be Fi. But the way I picked apart the differences with pairs of contrasting terms is something that would have struck me as Ti before. I'm starting to see what Fi could look like.)
Hey yeah sorry. I wasn't really asking. I mean I was asking the person above me who said you get one chance to get it right.

But yeah the way you thought it through is not unlike fi ne si

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're INTP. Im sure. Im the ultimate INTP(hehe), and i get your inferior Fe. It's simply about being a sensitive person, i think.

What is the "ultimate INTP" like?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Do you remember which test you took first? Was it CF related or was it MBTI? I think it could be argued that you would have a discrepancy between the two scores.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Unfortunately that time has long passed, for you, and for almost everyone on this site.

You must be able to answer these questions without any prior knowledge. If you begin to analyze it you lose the raw data, it becomes meta and your impression of yourself gets distorted. Any test after the first is confirmation bias.

Interesting idea. By that logic I should be INTJ since I had no prior knowledge when I took the test the first time. But it could still have been inaccurate since my choice of answers was based on negative associations I had with some of the words (on the thinking versus feeling axis) and on other people's expectations for what I should do on the judging versus perceiving axis.

I personally think it's possible to accurately type with a lot of knowledge, if you have solid categories of functions which are inclusive enough of human nature, and then describe them accurately and completely; then put them together into the types in such a way as to make sense in a system.

Like Fi versus Fe to me means everything that could be associated with feeling expressed in a "rational" way in the conscious mind, directed either inward or outward. Fi would take in information, reflect on it from the inside, direct it outward with Te as needed, then bring it back inside to be integrated into a system. Fe would take primitive feeling (shadow Fi) and direct it outward in search of reflection; when it finds something like itself to connect to it takes the information in to be incorporated into a system by Ti, then directs it outward again in the form of connecting to and organizing one's environment. Fi goes in out in, and Fe goes out in out. I believe it is the same process with all the introverted and extroverted functions respectively.

All this sounds great in theory, but it's difficult to apply without examples of what it looks like in people. One could of course get a sense for the "direction" one's processes go.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

and I INTP, do you think I'm INTP?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you remember which test you took first? Was it CF related or was it MBTI? I think it could be argued that you would have a discrepancy between the two scores.

Mbti related I think.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have you considered being a 9 as well? That and 6 are possibly the hardest to type out of the lot. When 9s look inward, they're like 'ah, but I do that too!' and all, so it makes typing a challenge.

Enneagram to me isn't as easily grasped, since I need fine details to contrast one thing from another in order to decide on one. (Because that's what makes something one thing and not another, rather than both.) I'm one of those people who looks at the numbers and sees myself in most of them. I can eliminate two of them- I'm not 2 or 8. I gravitate towards the head center (and am probably 5w4).

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Cool. So 3 people now think I am INTP. Interesting. *Files it away in the drawer marked Things That Point in the General Direction of INTP"

Hey, I wouldn't worry too much. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to let the mess settle and to sort out the bad/useless info from the good. I know it must be frustrating to be confused about your type and to have people tell you what you are, but with some people it just doesn't click immediately. Anyway you'll be amazed at how much your understanding of type, the functions and yourself improves over time (even if you think you have your understanding down pat).

I personally go back and forth when I try to work out your type. Whenever, I decide you must be a INTP, you write something that makes me think you're a INFP. Then whenever I decide you're Fi-dom, you say something that sounds so utterly Ti and again I am filled with doubt - you certainly seem borderline. You should probably talk more to some of the other borderline INXPs (or INXPs who have seriously considered if they are both at some point) like [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] and [MENTION=10653]SuchIrony[/MENTION] (both of whom also happen to be smart and well-informed :) ) and see how they have grasped the differences. I also believe I have INTP qualities myself which has been a little confusing in the past but consider myself firmly a INFP and Fi-dom.

Omg I can see how you use Fi all over your post! That's so cool.

Yeah for sure, once I decide it will be so detailed I could write a kick-ass article about it. Hopefully. I will definitely look at the people you mentioned.

*files half of this opinion in the INFP drawer and half in the INTP drawer*

Lith

MBTI Type
ISTP
I used to have a problem with people mistyping themselves but I don't any more. Pseudoscience is impossible to standardize, that's what makes it pseudoscience. People can turn it into whatever they want it to be, and they do. If a pseudoscience even survives it's because there's a core of purists somewhere, working to protect the underlying principles from getting watered down too much by the general public. Otherwise it all turns to mush.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Interesting idea. By that logic I should be INTJ since I had no prior knowledge when I took the test the first time. But it could still have been inaccurate since my choice of answers was based on negative associations I had with some of the words (on the thinking versus feeling axis) and on other people's expectations for what I should do on the judging versus perceiving axis.

I personally think it's possible to accurately type with a lot of knowledge, if you have solid categories of functions which are inclusive enough of human nature, and then describe them accurately and completely; then put them together into the types in such a way as to make sense in a system.

Like Fi versus Fe to me means everything that could be associated with feeling expressed in a "rational" way in the conscious mind, directed either inward or outward. Fi would take in information, reflect on it from the inside, direct it outward with Te as needed, then bring it back inside to be integrated into a system. Fe would take primitive feeling (shadow Fi) and direct it outward in search of reflection; when it finds something like itself to connect to it takes the information in to be incorporated into a system by Ti, then directs it outward again in the form of connecting to and organizing one's environment. Fi goes in out in, and Fe goes out in out. I believe it is the same process with all the introverted and extroverted functions respectively.

All this sounds great in theory, but it's difficult to apply without examples of what it looks like in people. One could of course get a sense for the "direction" one's processes go.

Same as LadyX what test called you an INTJ? The difference is very large between the questions asked for both tests. Yes, some actions come from specific thoughts and so they are connected, but the biggest hurdle you seem to be trying to get past right now is T and F which is drastically different between Myers-Briggs and Jungian Functions.

However, testing in general is not reliable at any rate because the test will tell you what your type is before you took the test, and can't include the fact that the test has colored your impression of yourself; which, is also why reading the cognitive functions does the same thing. We can't determine how much reading those descriptions truly changed how you thought about the test.

I should add a clarification to my original statement and say that the person cannot test themselves accurately after their first test. I ask others to take the tests for me at times to see if they handle the information differently than I do. Surprising results. I would suggest the same for you.

and I INTP, do you think I'm INTP?

I would ask the same question I asked LadyX. What was your first test connected to? MBTI or CF.

Mbti related I think.

Which test first told you ENFP?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to have a problem with people mistyping themselves but I don't any more. Pseudoscience is impossible to standardize, that's what makes it pseudoscience. People can turn it into whatever they want it to be, and they do. If a pseudoscience even survives it's because there's a core of purists somewhere, working to protect the underlying principles from getting watered down too much by the general public. Otherwise it all turns to mush.

True I suppose.

But I have to play the devil's advocate for a minute and talk about astrology. Astrology is a pseudoscience, but its categories are predetermined, so it is impossible to be mistyped unless you don't know your birth date and someone has to guess and guesses incorrectly. Astrology is absurdly complex, and very much inclusive of all of human nature and variation when applied to an individual (rather than generalized horoscopes); but it is only useful if people can see themselves in their chart, which they won't if they reject it based on the fact that it has no scientific explanation. Personally I think the archetypes of the zodiac signs are useful in and of themselves, and a lot of people find they fit their chart and can consequently get a better understanding of themselves; so to that end it has validity. the same process could be said about MBTI. It's helpful to you if you fit a type (or multiple types) and can use it to better understand yourself, and it's not helpful if you don't. Of course both of these have some sort of objective truth to them, but since they are applied to people that becomes less important than their usefulness.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Same as LadyX what test called you an INTJ? The difference is very large between the questions asked for both tests. Yes, some actions come from specific thoughts and so they are connected, but the biggest hurdle you seem to be trying to get past right now is T and F which is drastically different between Myers-Briggs and Jungian Functions.

However, testing in general is not reliable at any rate because the test will tell you what your type is before you took the test, and can't include the fact that the test has colored your impression of yourself; which, is also why reading the cognitive functions does the same thing. We can't determine how much reading those descriptions truly changed how you thought about the test.

I should add a clarification to my original statement and say that the person cannot test themselves accurately after their first test. I ask others to take the tests for me at times to see if they handle the information differently than I do. Surprising results. I would suggest the same for you.

I would ask the same question I asked LadyX. What was your first test connected to? MBTI or CF.

Which test first told you ENFP?
Omg Idk. It was a long time ago but pretty much every one after that.

I'm not worried about it. I honestly just thought your comment was silly. The test is only as good as its questions. Which often suck.

wolfy

awsm
T and F are often the hardest to decide. I tested istp initially, in cog tests and other tests. In a way I agree that you have one time fresh on tests, but there is the test quality and your understanding of self. Interesting idea.