• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people have a problem with people mistyping themselves?

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No, which is why I took the time to correct it in a separate post on the thread, and a few other times. I should probably have edited the OP to say it explicitly.

Alrighty.

Alright, that's an argument. Which would be valid if INFP's value being open minded more than most other types. Or if INTX's don't particularly value being openminded.

I'm having trouble seeing how my comment would lead you to that conclusion (doesn't seem to be logical IMO), but I'll attempt an answer anyhow. I do think keeping an open mind to other people's opinions would be useful (in general), but I wouldn't phrase it the way you did. The way you phrased it ("I value being open-minded") sounds so... foreign. Unnatural. Sounds NF if anything.

And we should look at the purpose and the reasoning behind the value as well; I see it as I can't possibly reach knowledge of objective truth if I don't weigh my opinions against other people's. Which could either look at Ti searching for truth through Ne (INTP), Ni synthesizing both Te and Fi (INTJ), Fi seeing other viewpoints and being able to see the value in them through understanding of objectivity and then using Te for confirmation (INFP), or even Fe+Ti synthesized by Ni in INFJ.

Bolded points to Te. Here's some typology info I've collected for you:

It basically comes down to that Te requires external validation and evidence to come to it's conclusions. Ti doesn't. It may be hard to grasp that. But I bet if you are Ti user, you've probably clashed with a Te user without realizing why. And vice versa. Both probably wondering what is wrong with the other person. It's not the entire difference, but it's one of the hallmarks.

Te dominants strength is making external judgements using what is known to them, which is Ti dominants weakness, whilst Ti strength is making internal judgements evaluating what is happening in the now which is Te dominants weakness, but they do it speaking the same logic based 'language'.

Ti - internal categories and principles upon which one judges/interprets the world from an abstract point of view
Te - external/empirical quantification, experimentation, and organization.

Both functions are logical, just in different ways. Ti abstracts; Te is more empirical.

Okay, back to answering your post.

Whether or not I liked them is not the point. The ones which were the most emphatic didn't contain very much actual information and reasoning.

Like I said before, they most likely gave up on arguing with you.

Well yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. I'm not the one who has a problem with me supposedly being mistyped. If you do, and you think I'm wrong, and I should change my mind, then you are the one starting the debate and the burden of proof is on you.

Fidelia answered to this in my place, so I'll skip a detailed response. But I just want to echo Salome to say: if you want to call yourself an INTP, go ahead. I wouldn't agree with you, but heck, I have no rights to stop you from doing so.

Ok, I'll try to do that. I figured there was so much information it would be impossible. (Fi seeing all the subjective nuances of my personality?) But if I am a type I should be able to.

Cool, I'll wait for it.

Ok, so I don't sound like INTP or argue like one, and I have flaws in my reasonings. That may be. Mind telling me the reasons behind these statements? So I can agree with you? I'm willing to if you can provide me with something to agree with. How do INTP's argue in your experience? How do they sound? And can you give me one example of a flaw in my reasoning so I can attempt to correct it? I don't mind you giving me your opinion. I appreciate it. It's just that even if I may not excel at logic all the time that's how my mind attempts to work, so I need all the puzzle pieces to fit before I can firmly establish the puzzle in my mind as fact. Which means I need to know specifically how INFP contrasts with INTP in the cases you pointed out.

I'll need more time to come up with a response for this part, so for the moment I'll leave this post as it is. I'll post again when I've completed conjuring an answer to this last paragraph.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe so. So I'm XNXX now.

Yay! :smile:

whataboutbob1%5B3%5D.jpg

Life is a journey... with a goldfish hanging in a jar around your neck.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm gonna officially suggest what others already have. Put a video up on that Video type me thread. It could help a lot.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm gonna officially suggest what others already have. Put a video up on that Video type me thread. It could help a lot.

Where is Pod'Lair now that we actually need it? sigh.

G

garbage

You see? This is what we get for raising our pitchforks and torches. "Where are our saviors when we need them?" They're banned. We banned them.

We did this to ourselves.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Lol. There *is* information to be gleaned from mannerisms, choices of words in a more dynamic situation, and other visual stuff.

Little_Sticks

You see? This is what we get for raising our pitchforks and torches. "Where are our saviors when we need them?" They're banned. We banned them.

Nietzsche: Marm is dead.
Me: But Bologna isn't!

Bologna for president! Election 2012: Bologna vs Obama - where is your God now?

images

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm simply saying being typed as the one I chose regardless of the truth of it was something that worked for me at the moment and seemed true to me. It seems to bother people, and instead of saying F you I don't care whether you like my mistype or not I'm doing you all a favor by hearing your reasoning so maybe I'll change my mind if it's true, and then you won't be bothered anymore. I could just say I'm choosing to be INTP even if I'm wrong and that's that, but I figure you NT's who think I'm not would find that even more annoying.

I'm sorry but really an intp would just never say this

Compare yourself to other intps. Can't you see the difference?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It is in the nature of humanity to destroy ourselves. Alas.

I'm sorry but really an intp would just never say this

Compare yourself to other intps. Can't you see the difference?

Yes, if an INTP determined they couldn't support being an INTP, they would just say, "I'm likely not to be an INTP" and let it go at that. But then again, they wouldn't be an INTP if they couldn't support being an INTP, so they would probably say something that wasn't very INTP at all.

Short sentences, big circles. Sorry about that.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=15392]AffirmitiveAnxiety[/MENTION] might be another mistyped possible NF just to lend another example of someone who may have had problems typing themselves hence the thread title.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do appreciate that; I was just frustrated because I couldn't see how said Cf's applied, and there wasn't any reasoning behind the particular Cf labels. I am listening; numerous times I've said I can see your point and listed my reasons why I agree or why I think I can in fact appear that way. So my mind is shifting, it's just a gradual process. I go about it like a scientific theory; I gather and weigh evidence on both sides. Evidence is currently stacked in different places, and it continually shifts and re-sorts itself.

I appreciate you pointing these out to me. I had no idea I needed to introduce myself in my message to you. (Honestly I don't remember what it was about, but I think I thought you were a mod of some sort.) I thought I was using the forum for its intended purpose, which was (partly) to have fun typing people, and I thought I would be especially fun since I'm an unusual person. I enjoy doing that on here with other people. So I'll do that less knowing it's bad ettiquette and try to figure out what proper forum use is. Maybe I was being passive-aggressive. Which I don't like, and I will make an effort to stop doing.

Honestly I don't know, because it confuses me too.

I'll read more and think about it, and I might change my mind at some point. At this point all I can be sure about is inferior or shadow Fe and well developed Ni.

was ni a typo?

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
I have a hard time believing people are as bothered as you seem to think they are.

I think a lot of it might be your own sensitivity to what they're saying.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a hard time believing people are as bothered as you seem to think they are.

I think a lot of it might be your own sensitivity to what they're saying.

which an intp wouldn't have!! haha i'm sorry but an intp would never even start a thread with this intention. it's just clear as day to me. i mean...i can't be certain you're infp...maybe you're intj.

there's a frustrating quality here that i've seen in other intjs...so maybe there's something to that.

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
which an intp wouldn't have!! haha i'm sorry but an intp would never even start a thread with this intention. it's just clear as day to me. i mean...i can't be certain you're infp...maybe you're intj.

Would an INFP start a thread like this?? :mellow:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thank you that's what I already said! Greenfairy could very well be INTJ you know with the Ni and Fi coming all together!

G

garbage

On one forum, it was proposed that those with typings that "didn't make sense" should have their types forcibly changed.

Thankfully, that was not this forum.

:popc1: