• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people have a problem with people mistyping themselves?

N

NPcomplete

Ack! A.... A........ A..... :wub: emoticon.... YECK! You.... you.... ARE AN NF!!! Aren't you?!!?! I knew it!! You were sent by the devil himself to tempt me into using emoticons, but I shan't.

:irked: Am I.... :irked: indeed.

I thought I knew you. I am disappoint. Very disappoint.

We should probably not stay acquaintances.

P.S. You are not doing well at all. Tsk. Tsk.

Acquaintances? *is HURT* I thought we were friends.

I am so, so, so! very sorry that you are disappointed. I will never do it again. Can we be fwends now? O.O

*stifles sob*

You know, sometimes you and Saturned get so NF that I start to think I might be an INTP again. I really don't know how you two do it, but it's actually kind of impressive in some weird way.

Devilry, of course.

:p

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well so far this thread is not spectacularly failing, as I am highly entertained. :) You guys are hilarious.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anything hilarious is a success. That's F logic!

A

Anew Leaf

You know, sometimes you and Saturned get so NF that I start to think I might be an INTP again. I really don't know how you two do it, but it's actually kind of impressive in some weird way.

Who?! Us?! Whatever do you mean?

Here, eat some pudding while you explain....

Acquaintances? *is HURT* I thought we were friends.

I am so, so, so! very sorry that you are disappointed. I will never do it again. Can we be fwends now? O.O

*stifles sob*

Devilry, of course.

:p

Friends? Bah. I, as an NT, looked up the definition of friends and as such I realize that no one is my friend. Therefore, you are on par with my poolboy, my pony trainer, and my private jetplane pilot.

Also, spelling "friends" sans "r" is revolting! Or, I suppose in whatever communique that you NF's have.... "Wevolting!" :dry:

N

NPcomplete

Friends? Bah. I, as an NT, looked up the definition of friends and as such I realize that no one is my friend. Therefore, you are on par with my poolboy, my pony trainer, and my private jetplane pilot.

Also, spelling "friends" sans "r" is revolting! Or, I suppose in whatever communique that you NF's have.... "Wevolting!" :dry:

So I am mere plankton and you're a hammerhead shark? I, I suppose I shall have to accept my lot in life then.

The spelling was changed so we don't get scared of werewolves. *is terrorised anyway*

A

Anew Leaf

So I am mere plankton and you're a hammerhead shark? I, I suppose I shall have to accept my lot in life then.

The spelling was changed so we don't get scared of werewolves. *is terrorised anyway*

Yes, I am a shark... But you... you are not plankton, little clownfish... and this forum is not a bed of sea anemones.... Mako yo way closer...... NF....

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think other people sometimes CAN type you more accurately than you type yourself for a few reasons:

1. They know the typology theory better. And if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....then it still could be a baby swan, so let's look past the surface a bit & not jump to conclusions based on stereotypes.
2. They are exceptionally good at understanding what makes people tick. They see the difference between baby swans & ducks more easily. :cheese:
3. While they have their own ego, they don't have YOUR ego, so they are not blinded by your ego & can see it. It's kind of like how other people see your own face more than you see it; it's yours, but it's not visible to you because you're functioning though it. You can go & look in the mirror of course, but sometimes that means seeing what you want to see (ie. you make a flattering face or whatever). A photo of you which is at odds with your perception of your own face can catch you off guard (often unpleasantly), and yet others are used to you seeing you look that way. So just as the image in your head of your own face can differ a bit from reality, so too can your perception of your personality & how it actually appears to others.

That said, I think it's mostly futile to tell someone they are mistyped. I think discovering their type can be a process a person has to go through, and that process can mean mistyping for a bit. They won't be able to accept their ego if it's told to them anyway; they really have to uncover it themselves for the realization to set in & turn into something productive. The point of realizing your ego is so you can transcend it, but you're ego is sort of trying to protect itself from being destroyed. This is why even when people DO identify their actual type, they can deny the negative traits of it. This is because the ego doesn't want you to register your personality as basically being a flawed lens for the world. In identifying as the wrong type, you don't have to face your actual flaws because you don't have that types' flaws!

Now, why other people can fail massively at typing others:

1. They don't know typology well at all, but may think they do.
2. They are bad at understanding how people work in general (ie. even if they grasp theory, they still have a hard time understanding different thought processes from their own).
3. They have massive bias due to their own ego. So yes, their own ego gets in the way of seeing your ego accurately (it's like a mirror facing a mirror!). This is especially true when you don't fit their idea of themselves, yet you claim the same type; this threatens their ego.

The last reason is why some types get more huffy when they suspect someone is mistyped as their type, or why some types simply try to out others more :)cough:NTs:cough: and :ahem:INFJs:ahem: ). The nature of their ego includes some aspect about being more rational or special than most people, etc. Again, you're threatening their ego because you don't fit their picture of themselves.

This, however, is also why people can mistype - they gravitate towards types seen in a more positive light. It's been suggested by people that this may be a reason for the seemingly excessive amount of Ns online; N is perceived as more intelligent, special, etc, and so people type themselves based on that instead of the more neutral definitions which describe different egos without one being better or worse than the other.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that's operational in various types, not just NTs. But I'd agree that there are some NTs who are like that. I remember having a kind of disdain for Fe values and illogic when I was a teenager, partly because I (or others) kept getting burned by people who were making capricious or irrational decisions, and I hated it. I remember my self-esteem also sucked, so being hyper-rational was an ego booster for me. But it ain't very conducive to relationships, and when I got married, I had to suddenly face those conceited, self-interested attitudes in myself.

I think it's just a journey people of different types have to go through, and not just T's; there are F's in my family who I think are pretty judgmental and conceited because they really don't grasp the truth that T people might still feel loyalty and love and concern for others but just don't express it as directly as they might, and so they dismiss it as non-existent and then take it out on said T people.

Put another way, we all suck to start with and have to get over it. :smile:

Like I said, I think sometimes what you're saying is what's in play. But I don't think all the people who have disagreed with you on type on this forum have been operating from that principle, and so I gave you a different basis from which you might understand it.

Lol. And I am here wondering, "What does LIKING a particular type have to do with anything?" See what I mean? It's funny you even mention it as part of your decision process.

Welll... aside from the fact they apparently give a shit about what your type is and how you've figured it out? ;)

So what things do you think you are good at, in terms of INTP?

It's funny that you spent this whole paragraph talking about what you like and don't like, what you want to be associated with and not associated with, and this thread in getting outraged at people for excluding you from their group... this is all more an F province, if anything. I mean, I'm just tossing this out there as an observation... I'm still waiting for you to come up with some hardcore T approach to your dilemma, while so far you seem to be focused on your preferences. Again, nothing wrong with each other approach, but that is all I'm seeing right here.

It is not just fluff, neither is it a hard science. It is psychology, it is an about science. Now that you have started this thread a funny thing occurred to me. I have been on this forum a long time and you do notice patterns in behaviour on the forum. Threads like this are usually NF fair. Just saying, you decide on your type.

Ahhh sorry lady was going to say the same thing! My infp boyfriend occasionally tries to convince me and himself that he's an intp also... But he's just not and you don't seem to be either.

It's all very infp to feel like you can't be catorigized and want to reject your fi because you don't like what you think it says about you.

Sorry about the unsolicited opinions. :/

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't care if you call your self an NT, but after talking to you you are not very logical. I not saying that you aren't smart enough to be logical only that you seem to rebel against the idea of logical principles and though process in favor of your subjective experiences and mysticism. In terms of MBTI that would make you an Fi user probably,simply because that is how the MBTI categorizes people who hold these types of views. I wish I were an ESFP or an INTJ but I can't just redefine what it means to be that type. If I did it would simply be renaming the INTP.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't care if you call your self an NT, but after talking to you you are not very logical. I not saying that you aren't smart enough to be logical only that you seem to rebel against the idea of logical principles and though process in favor of your subjective experiences and mysticism. In terms of MBTI that would make you an Fi user probably,simply because that is how the MBTI categorizes people who hold these types of views. I wish I were an ESFP or an INTJ but I can't just redefine what it means to be that type. If I did it would simply be renaming the INTP.

No, that would likely make someone an N-dom. A Fi-dom is a dominant rational :wink:.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
The reason it seems to be NT types the most often has nothing to do with them thinking they're smarter or anything like that. It's because of their drive for truth and knowledge. It's right there in the description and it's seriously true about them.

When a person says they're one type, but then they go on to do and say a TON of things that don't match up, it has these effects:

It bugs the shit out of us because it doesn't make sense. It's not a personal thing at all, it (the situation) just doesn't make sense. We want and hunger for truth no matter what it is.

It bothers us when falsities are perpetuated and grow thus kicking truth in the mouth even more. When a person who doesn't seem AT ALL like the type they claim, then go on to give advice constantly, then that's seen as false data being spouted off as true and it's not without a victim. That person is giving wrong information to someone who will believe it and then possibly repeat it and the amount of wrong that can grow and grow and grow makes us want to pull our f*cking hair out.

It's horrendously worse if someone claims to be a type like ours and then does and says things that fly in the face of it thus basically spreading their wrong, but now it's about US in a way. And, while you can insult us all day long on our faults and get nowhere (we embrace truth and pretty much know our faults, so we shrug off someone pointing out the obvious), someone spreading untruths thus feeding stupidity/ignorance will bother us a lot more.

As a NT, it's not personal at all. It's just noticing something we can't help but notice, and sometimes, it can get to us a bit.

Last edited:

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No, that would likely make someone an N-dom. A Fi-dom is a dominant rational :wink:.

Mysticism maybe but Fi dom is about subjective experience, right? Their inner sense of right and wrong.

Is the winky sarcasm? I'm not much for body language as an NT. :)

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The reason it seems to be NT types the most often has nothing to do with them thinking they're smarter or anything like that. It's because of their drive for truth and knowledge. It's right there in the description and it's seriously true about them.

When a person says they're one type, but then go on to do and say a TON of things that don't match up, it has these effects:

It bugs the shit out of us because it doesn't make sense. It's not a personal thing at all, it (the situation) just doesn't make sense. We want and hunger for truth no matter what it is.

It bothers us when falsities are perpetuated and grow thus kicking truth in the mouth even more. When a person who doesn't seem AT ALL like the type they claim, then go on to give advice constantly, then that's seen as false data being spouted off as true and it's not without a victim. That person is giving wrong information to someone who will believe it and then possibly repeat it and the amount of wrong that can grow and grow and grow makes us want to pull our f*cking hair out.

It's horrendously worse if someone claims to be a type like ours and then does and says things that fly in the face of it thus basically spreading their wrong, but now it's about US in a way. And, while you can insult us all day long on our faults and get nowhere (we embrace truth and pretty much know our faults, so we shrug off someone pointing out the obvious), someone spreading untruths thus feeding stupidity/ignorance will bother us a lot more.

As a NT, it's not personal at all. It's just noticing something we can't help but notice, and sometimes, it can get to us a bit.

Yes. We should have recruited the ENTPs to do the explaining long, long ago.

[MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION]

It really isn't personal. I think most of the INTPs don't really care about what you type yourself as. I at least am more frustrated that you don't seem to see how what you say is incongruent with the MBTI description of an INTP.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mysticism maybe but Fi dom is about subjective experience, right? Their inner sense of right and wrong.

Is the winky sarcasm? I'm not much for body language as an NT. :)

No, the wink means "I am clueing you in". I don't particularly like the word "experience" for Fi, because there's far more connection of experience to perception than to judging (which is more about structuring experience), but I won't harp on semantics (or did I just?). The general description you wrote fits N-dom better, that is all.

And I'm becoming dangerously close to implying the OP is a certain type....

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
It doesn't really matter anyways.

Most of this stuff is just a pipe dream and those arguing over semantics are wasting time.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No, the wink means "I am clueing you in". I don't particularly like the word "experience" for Fi, because there's far more connection of experience to perception than to judging (which is more about structuring experience), but I won't harp on semantics (or did I just?). The general description you wrote fits N-dom better, that is all.

And I'm becoming dangerously close to implying the OP is a certain type....

How would you describe Fi then?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How would you describe Fi then?

A process which forms a model of the ideal by exploring concepts in the inner world. The concepts of "good", "bad" & all that is inbetween are defined & refined, so that a gauge is created to hold reality up against. If Ti defines "what is", then Fi defines its value, mainly in terms of the human condition (yes, it is true, but is it VALUABLE?). Based on what? Well what does Ti base its judgments on? It's not really day to day experience, is it? No, the basis is the inner world & whatever exploration goes on there. I suppose you could call that experience if you want to (the experiences in the inner world), but I'd still associate "experience" more with perceiving, or perhaps extroversion.

So Fi is subjective, but so is Ti, as subjective in MBTI/Jungian terms just means the inner world is the focus, or that the process is introverted. We all know extroverts' thinking is subjective as well, if using subjective in the typical sense.

Of course, what is used to define/refine that inner Fi model can be info from Pe, so in the case of an INFP, that's intangible patterns, relationships & emerging possibilites. Not that I feel the inner world needs to be justified.

So Fi is NOT "x happened to me, x made me feel bad emotionally, therefore x is bad". It's NOT "I just feel this is right! It's a sense I have about the universe". (BARF)

Personally, I don't experience Ne as mystical; I experience it as realizations & ideas popping up or striking me. I experience Fi as exploratory and rational, not mystical either. Fantasy, emotion, experience - informative to Fi (& ANY function), but not Fi itself. Fi examines that & decides if any of it is significant or can help clarify what "good" & "bad" are.

"Mystical" is most associated with Ni, but some Ne-dom probably feel that way too.

Anyone who experiences valuation as "mystical" or mainly emotional is likely not an F-dom. This is a sign that feeling is less differentiated from non-cognitive aspects in the mind than it would be with someone who is F-dom. This implies their feeling is fuzzy, not clear.

I'm probably going on weird tangents, but I've talked about Fi so much I have to find some new angle to keep it interesting....

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
A process which forms a model of the ideal by exploring concepts in the inner world. The concepts of "good", "bad" & all that is inbetween are defined & refined, so that a gauge is created to hold reality up against. If Ti defines "what is", then Fi defines its value, mainly in terms of the human condition (yes, it is true, but is it VALUABLE?). Based on what? Well what does Ti base its judgments on? It's not really day to day experience, is it? No, the basis is the inner world & whatever exploration goes on there. I suppose you could call that experience if you want to (the experiences in the inner world), but I'd still associate "experience" more with perceiving, or perhaps extroversion.

So Fi is subjective, but so is Ti, as subjective in MBTI/Jungian terms just means the inner world is the focus, or that the process is introverted. We all know extroverts' thinking is subjective as well, if using subjective in the typical sense.

Of course, what is used to define/refine that inner Fi model can be info from Pe, so in the case of an INFP, that's intangible patterns, relationships & emerging possibilites. Not that I feel the inner world needs to be justified.

So Fi is NOT "x happened to me, x made me feel bad emotionally, therefore x is bad". It's NOT "I just feel this is right! It's a sense I have about the universe". (BARF)

Personally, I don't experience Ne as mystical; I experience it as realizations & ideas popping up or striking me. I experience Fi as exploratory and rational, not mystical either. Fantasy, emotion, experience - informative to Fi (& ANY function), but not Fi itself. Fi examines that & decides if any of it is significant or can help clarify what "good" & "bad" are.

"Mystical" is most associated with Ni, but some Ne-dom probably feel that way too.

Anyone who experiences valuation as "mystical" or mainly emotional is likely not an F-dom. This is a sign that feeling is less differentiated from non-cognitive aspects in the mind than it would be with someone who is F-dom. This implies their feeling is fuzzy, not clear.

I'm probably going on weird tangents, but I've talked about Fi so much I have to find some new angle to keep it interesting....

How can we have an inner world with out experience? and aren't right and wrong, good and bad, just different descriptions of the idea of value?

I wasn't trying to suggest that there is no reasoning beyond emotion in Fi though only that they give more weight/value to their subjective experiences. Where a lead Ti might try to strip away as much of their self as possible to get to the facts, a lead Fi wants to determine value and in doing so must relate what they are evaluating to their preexisting opinions of what is valuable. Basically I was under the impression that Ti leads value subjectivity less and Fi leads value it more.

"what is" being objective. value being subjective. Neither necessarily better.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I wouldn't worry about it anyway because most of the folks here are mistyped SJs (there are a handful of SPs and NTs/NFs thrown in, but certainly not the majority.) The social hierarchizing by type is a clear sign of SJs.

Notice how the dilemma became whether you're NT or NF? That's because, despite lip service to the contrary, few here seriously consider that they might be any of the other, more "ordinary" types.

If anything, your goofy thread indicated that you'd probably want to strongly reconsider your being a T type, but other than that the possibilities are wide open.