• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people have a problem with people mistyping themselves?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To the bolded, I can definitely relate.

I have posted on numerous occasions in my time on this forum whenever the mystic/psychic element of INFJ comes up, that I don't personally think it's mystical ... and I then try to explain how I believe my thought processes/perceptions to actually work. I have conceded that I can see how from the outside it might appear more nebulous and 'mystical', but I don't experience it as such at all, and I also don't gravitate towards mysticism.

I recall the last time this came up with someone on here who typed as INFJ by the end of their stint on the forum, that the person got very ... almost angry when I stated I didn't believe Ni was truly mystical. This person seemed to attach to the idea of Ni *because* of the mystical component.

TO really throw some kinks into things:

I've had FeSi and SiFe friends who have been heavily into "mystic" things like tarot cards, fantasy books, unicorns, fairies and all that stuff, to the degree I originally just thought they were N (this would be a good 15 years ago), but the more I interacted with them, then their S roots became more clear, and it seemed far more likely that N was a tertiary or inferior based on standard type theory -- they tended to believe or be into the fantastical trappings of N but didn't really operate with pattern matching and other N connection qualities on a day to day basis. I've also seen these people drift into religious beliefs and possess a "magical" quality to the belief while being somewhat literalists in their approach to the holy texts.

if it makes sense, I've seen SiFe's who were more into the trappings of mysticism but operated from a concrete basis, while NiFe's with a good sense of patterning weren't really into such things at all and could come off as more practical-minded.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
TO really throw some kinks into things:

I've had FeSi and SiFe friends who have been heavily into "mystic" things like tarot cards, fantasy books, unicorns, fairies and all that stuff, to the degree I originally just thought they were N (this would be a good 15 years ago), but the more I interacted with them, then their S roots became more clear, and it seemed far more likely that N was a tertiary or inferior based on standard type theory -- they tended to believe or be into the fantastical trappings of N but didn't really operate with pattern matching and other N connection qualities on a day to day basis. I've also seen these people drift into religious beliefs and possess a "magical" quality to the belief while being somewhat literalists in their approach to the holy texts.

if it makes sense, I've seen SiFe's who were more into the trappings of mysticism but operated from a concrete basis, while NiFe's with a good sense of patterning weren't really into such things at all and could come off as more practical-minded.

:yes: It makes total sense; it's why I tend to have a kneejerk aversion to a lot of these stereotypes.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:yes: It makes total sense; it's why I tend to have a kneejerk aversion to a lot of these stereotypes.

Now I want to tie it together more into a sense of literalism/concreteness: The S's tended to explore those fantasy trappings as literal things, the N's tended to incorporate the patterning as symbolic rather than blatant, so the concepts were applied but not the actual literal magic thing itself.

... anyway, darnit, I need to save that for the new thread!

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think other people sometimes CAN type you more accurately than you type yourself for a few reasons:

1. They know the typology theory better. And if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....then it still could be a baby swan, so let's look past the surface a bit & not jump to conclusions based on stereotypes.
2. They are exceptionally good at understanding what makes people tick. They see the difference between baby swans & ducks more easily. :cheese:
3. While they have their own ego, they don't have YOUR ego, so they are not blinded by your ego & can see it. It's kind of like how other people see your own face more than you see it; it's yours, but it's not visible to you because you're functioning though it. You can go & look in the mirror of course, but sometimes that means seeing what you want to see (ie. you make a flattering face or whatever). A photo of you which is at odds with your perception of your own face can catch you off guard (often unpleasantly), and yet others are used to you seeing you look that way. So just as the image in your head of your own face can differ a bit from reality, so too can your perception of your personality & how it actually appears to others.

That said, I think it's mostly futile to tell someone they are mistyped. I think discovering their type can be a process a person has to go through, and that process can mean mistyping for a bit. They won't be able to accept their ego if it's told to them anyway; they really have to uncover it themselves for the realization to set in & turn into something productive. The point of realizing your ego is so you can transcend it, but you're ego is sort of trying to protect itself from being destroyed. This is why even when people DO identify their actual type, they can deny the negative traits of it. This is because the ego doesn't want you to register your personality as basically being a flawed lens for the world. In identifying as the wrong type, you don't have to face your actual flaws because you don't have that types' flaws!

Now, why other people can fail massively at typing others:

1. They don't know typology well at all, but may think they do.
2. They are bad at understanding how people work in general (ie. even if they grasp theory, they still have a hard time understanding different thought processes from their own).
3. They have massive bias due to their own ego. So yes, their own ego gets in the way of seeing your ego accurately (it's like a mirror facing a mirror!). This is especially true when you don't fit their idea of themselves, yet you claim the same type; this threatens their ego.

The last reason is why some types get more huffy when they suspect someone is mistyped as their type, or why some types simply try to out others more :)cough:NTs:cough: and :ahem:INFJs:ahem: ). The nature of their ego includes some aspect about being more rational or special than most people, etc. Again, you're threatening their ego because you don't fit their picture of themselves.

This, however, is also why people can mistype - they gravitate towards types seen in a more positive light. It's been suggested by people that this may be a reason for the seemingly excessive amount of Ns online; N is perceived as more intelligent, special, etc, and so people type themselves based on that instead of the more neutral definitions which describe different egos without one being better or worse than the other.

Very good post.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ahhh sorry lady was going to say the same thing! My infp boyfriend occasionally tries to convince me and himself that he's an intp also... But he's just not and you don't seem to be either.

It's all very infp to feel like you can't be catorigized and want to reject your fi because you don't like what you think it says about you.

Sorry about the unsolicited opinions. :/

Np. I don't have a problem with opinions.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes, it's why I truly think a thread with video of the person taking the MBTI and giving their reasons would be extremely helpful for those who are unsure.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't care if you call your self an NT, but after talking to you you are not very logical. I not saying that you aren't smart enough to be logical only that you seem to rebel against the idea of logical principles and though process in favor of your subjective experiences and mysticism. In terms of MBTI that would make you an Fi user probably,simply because that is how the MBTI categorizes people who hold these types of views. I wish I were an ESFP or an INTJ but I can't just redefine what it means to be that type. If I did it would simply be renaming the INTP.

Fair point. Although in the particular context of you talking to me, it was in a thread in which logical principles were largely irrelevant to the subject matter. If you were to talk to me about something else like whether "God" exists, or Phi, or nutrition, you might have a different impression.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The reason it seems to be NT types the most often has nothing to do with them thinking they're smarter or anything like that. It's because of their drive for truth and knowledge. It's right there in the description and it's seriously true about them.

When a person says they're one type, but then they go on to do and say a TON of things that don't match up, it has these effects:

It bugs the shit out of us because it doesn't make sense. It's not a personal thing at all, it (the situation) just doesn't make sense. We want and hunger for truth no matter what it is.

It bothers us when falsities are perpetuated and grow thus kicking truth in the mouth even more. When a person who doesn't seem AT ALL like the type they claim, then go on to give advice constantly, then that's seen as false data being spouted off as true and it's not without a victim. That person is giving wrong information to someone who will believe it and then possibly repeat it and the amount of wrong that can grow and grow and grow makes us want to pull our f*cking hair out.

It's horrendously worse if someone claims to be a type like ours and then does and says things that fly in the face of it thus basically spreading their wrong, but now it's about US in a way. And, while you can insult us all day long on our faults and get nowhere (we embrace truth and pretty much know our faults, so we shrug off someone pointing out the obvious), someone spreading untruths thus feeding stupidity/ignorance will bother us a lot more.

As a NT, it's not personal at all. It's just noticing something we can't help but notice, and sometimes, it can get to us a bit.

That makes sense.

In regards to me, the advice I was giving based on my personality could actually be backed up by typology if anyone was interested, and often I listed typological reasons for my characteristics. If someone thinks this is incorrect, they are more than welcome to argue with me about it. And the advice I give which is not typology related doesn't really have to do with it.

So that's my point of view, not getting angry, just saying. I appreciate the response.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Fair point. Although in the particular context of you talking to me, it was in a thread in which logical principles were largely irrelevant to the subject matter. If you were to talk to me about something else like whether "God" exists, or Phi, or nutrition, you might have a different impression.

perhaps.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mysticism maybe but Fi dom is about subjective experience, right? Their inner sense of right and wrong.

Is the winky sarcasm? I'm not much for body language as an NT. :)

Subjective experience does not make up the majority of my reasoning, unless we are talking about our types or mysticism, which can't really be understood any other way. I'm going to post for awhile primarily on threads that have nothing to do with subjectivity, and see what people think. Not to prove anything, but because people have seen one side of me more than the other.

For the record my inner sense of right and wrong has very little to do with anything I've posted.

Edit: Well, I guess it does with this one, but it's not so much wrong as ineffective and not conducive to positive social interaction.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. We should have recruited the ENTPs to do the explaining long, long ago.

[MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION]

It really isn't personal. I think most of the INTPs don't really care about what you type yourself as. I at least am more frustrated that you don't seem to see how what you say is incongruent with the MBTI description of an INTP.

Alright. I'm sorry this is annoying. I'm seeing what people are trying to say more, but the problem is people haven't really explained much until now, and my problem obviously lies in not understanding what I've read. I can read "values" and "subjective experience" but if those words don't properly translate in my mind to what I think my behavior and my reasoning is, I'll have to think of it in a different way. Values can mean a lot of things to different people, and if I prefer one sense of the word over another, which doesn't really appear to make up my motivation and thought process, then I can reasonably conclude it doesn't primarily apply. Right? I'm seeing what people mean by likes and dislikes, but other details and semantics have to be discussed, or I'll just have to think about word meanings some more.

Edit: by prefer one sense of the word, I mean I reject certain associated concepts.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A process which forms a model of the ideal by exploring concepts in the inner world. The concepts of "good", "bad" & all that is inbetween are defined & refined, so that a gauge is created to hold reality up against. If Ti defines "what is", then Fi defines its value, mainly in terms of the human condition (yes, it is true, but is it VALUABLE?). Based on what? Well what does Ti base its judgments on? It's not really day to day experience, is it? No, the basis is the inner world & whatever exploration goes on there. I suppose you could call that experience if you want to (the experiences in the inner world), but I'd still associate "experience" more with perceiving, or perhaps extroversion.

So Fi is subjective, but so is Ti, as subjective in MBTI/Jungian terms just means the inner world is the focus, or that the process is introverted. We all know extroverts' thinking is subjective as well, if using subjective in the typical sense.

Of course, what is used to define/refine that inner Fi model can be info from Pe, so in the case of an INFP, that's intangible patterns, relationships & emerging possibilites. Not that I feel the inner world needs to be justified.

So Fi is NOT "x happened to me, x made me feel bad emotionally, therefore x is bad". It's NOT "I just feel this is right! It's a sense I have about the universe". (BARF)

Personally, I don't experience Ne as mystical; I experience it as realizations & ideas popping up or striking me. I experience Fi as exploratory and rational, not mystical either. Fantasy, emotion, experience - informative to Fi (& ANY function), but not Fi itself. Fi examines that & decides if any of it is significant or can help clarify what "good" & "bad" are.

"Mystical" is most associated with Ni, but some Ne-dom probably feel that way too.

Anyone who experiences valuation as "mystical" or mainly emotional is likely not an F-dom. This is a sign that feeling is less differentiated from non-cognitive aspects in the mind than it would be with someone who is F-dom. This implies their feeling is fuzzy, not clear.

I'm probably going on weird tangents, but I've talked about Fi so much I have to find some new angle to keep it interesting....

Awesome post. This has helped me understand Fi a lot better. Thanks! The descriptions I read are really vague and confusing, so of course it's hard to see how they could apply to me. (I mean, what are "feeling tones? I don't think in poetry.)

I can see how I value things a lot. But that's a lot different from making value judgments, which I try to avoid. This kind of thinking, of making value judgments and establishing what is "good" and "bad" seems too much like fundamentalist Christianity; sin and redemption, good people versus evil, dualism, black and white, guilt, and the resulting destruction that happens when religious people get into other people's business. I have perceived this behavior and identified the thinking and feeling patterns I think are responsible, and attempted to eradicate them in myself.

So the words "good" and "bad" have taken on loaded connotations for me, and I tend to reject them, influencing my tests toward the thinking side. Is this T behavior, or simply Fi valuing the rejection of value judgment? I don't know. Kind of paradoxical. I don't think human valuation has anything to do with "what is," and I prefer to focus on objective reality. But I have to operate in my subjective world, because I am limited by a physical body. And it adds some fun to life.

I do evaluate whether I like and dislike things, but so does everyone. I don't really understand yet the difference between Fi likes and dislikes and everyone else's. I've found that my preferences are useful in navigating my life successfully. Most of the time it's just to decide what will make me happy, but often they unconsciously affect me intuitively. I let my intuition tell me what I should be around or avoid. I started a thread about this, to see whether the intuition I am describing is Ni or Fi, and most people said Ni. If it's actually Fi, I guess I use it a lot.

So this is my subjective experience plus my thoughts on how it relates to typology.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How can we have an inner world with out experience? and aren't right and wrong, good and bad, just different descriptions of the idea of value?

I wasn't trying to suggest that there is no reasoning beyond emotion in Fi though only that they give more weight/value to their subjective experiences. Where a lead Ti might try to strip away as much of their self as possible to get to the facts, a lead Fi wants to determine value and in doing so must relate what they are evaluating to their preexisting opinions of what is valuable. Basically I was under the impression that Ti leads value subjectivity less and Fi leads value it more.

"what is" being objective. value being subjective. Neither necessarily better.

I was under the impression that experience, whether subjective or not, is the property of Si. Fi simply attaches a kind of rationality to it based on value, and Ti based on logical systems.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
That makes sense.

In regards to me, the advice I was giving based on my personality could actually be backed up by typology if anyone was interested, and often I listed typological reasons for my characteristics. If someone thinks this is incorrect, they are more than welcome to argue with me about it. And the advice I give which is not typology related doesn't really have to do with it.

So that's my point of view, not getting angry, just saying. I appreciate the response.

You're welcome. I just wanted to clarify where NTs are most often coming from when it happens. And, when I said "advice", what I meant was like when someone starts a thread asking about their particular romance/family/etc. problems and dealing with a certain type. Things can get very confusing when someone, or more than one, who isn't really that type gives a buttload of advice.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I think that people often have a problem with mistyping when it seems like it's done to acquire the benefits of the label. In this circumstance, the mistyped person doesn't necessarily have a sense of the particular kind of alienation that can come with a certain cognitive style.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
this is one major reason:

if you are an F and your environment requires you to behave like T, you start to act more like T(persona is how you act out, in contrast to anima is how you act towards your personal unconscious), in other words, you need to pretend to be someone who you are not, T for example. this can lead to belief that you are who you pretend to be. but in reality, persona has nothing to do with type, except that it can lead you to false conclusions about your type. this is also where more behavioristic models, like socionics and MBTI profiles(compared to jungs model, which is more about cognition, rather than stereotypes you play out) fail and often confuse people about their true type, since the whole idea of type is to large degree about persona also, which in jungian model is not about type at all.

Interesting.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was under the impression that experience, whether subjective or not, is the property of Si. Fi simply attaches a kind of rationality to it based on value, and Ti based on logical systems.

I was under the impression that our experience of the world is taken in via s/n and t/f is how we make judgements about those experiences meaning.