• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality Types in Population

eternal recurrence

MBTI Type
iNfj
This is a basic question Ive never seen addressed: what accounts for the varying percentages of type distribution across the population?

Why ISTJ 11-14%, INFJ 1-3%, or ENFP 6-8%? What determines this?

A

Anew Leaf

This is a basic question Ive never seen addressed: what accounts for the varying percentages of type distribution across the population?

My guess is one or all of the following:

1- It's impossible to know the exact number unless you type every person in the population.
2- If you did #1 then you would have to rely on the test being accurate and that the people taking the test knew what they were doing.
3- Most likely the people making up these numbers looked at a large sampling of a population and figured out the likely range of certain types given how prevalent they were in the sampling pool.
4- Pudding.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
the accountant.

the-accountant_456x292.png

KDude

The original numbers I've seen were in Myers' book, and were just determined from her sampling from various schools (both college and highschool). The newer statistics I guess are taken from a much larger sampling, considering how many official tests are given out.

eternal recurrence

MBTI Type
iNfj
so whats your conclusion? given we cannot measure it. do you believe that there are still stable variances within a population of each type that could theoretically be determined?

eternal recurrence

MBTI Type
iNfj
it doesnt matter what the statistics are. my question is what accounts for the fact that there are at all...

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Whatever the reason is, it's likely a complex and multivariable answer. But a thorough discussion and maybe even sociological study to try and explore different angles of "why" would make for some excellent reading.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i don't believe we have accurate statistics. we don't have accurate measurement of cognitive preferences. tests 'measure' traits or attitudes that are only loosely related to the typological aspect of cognition and that are also correlated with other patterns, such as stages of development and related cultural memes. especially the S/N percentage is most likely a mistake. we don't understand how type is created, so this thread is open for speculations, but there won't be a consensual answer.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
MBTI assessments, I believe.

Ya the stats are very shaky. I have seen some sources like Keirsey for example who said Ns are 15% of the population but then Myers-Briggs say it is as high as 30% of the population. Were talking about a 100% increase in N types between the 2 systems. Something is clearly out of place and by the way I went to the Mojo reading site and I am quite impressed with the new twist on the personality theory along with the artificial intelligence developed for each mojo. This surely is the wave of the future for the human mind!

Pod'lair

Permabanned
Ya the stats are very shaky. I have seen some sources like Keirsey for example who said Ns are 15% of the population but then Myers-Briggs say it is as high as 30% of the population. Were talking about a 100% increase in N types between the 2 systems. Something is clearly out of place and by the way I went to the Mojo reading site and I am quite impressed with the new twist on the personality theory along with the artificial intelligence developed for each mojo. This surely is the wave of the future for the human mind!

Yep. There are definitely advantages in seeing the phenomenon as it stands rather than leave things to interpretation of description or test. It's clearly showing things that are outside of the vision of other models. As far as its use to the scientific community, we'll have to wait and see.

Considering the vast majority of forums like this identifying themselves as intuitives, it's pretty safe to conclude that types are far more equally distributed than people seem to make out.