• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you think best?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Ive been wondering about this for some time and in this instance I dont mean the Thinking functions, I mean the cognitions that go on inside your mind.

Basically what is the best setting to induce or activate your thinking?

For me it appears to be solitary walks. Whenever im walking by myself ideas come out of nowhere and my mind can organise thoughts with a clarity I didnt think possible.
Ive no idea why this must be, but it always works....completely useless in real situations where quick thinking is needed though.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Bus/car rides are always like this... :scruples: ... for me.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Solving a puzzle cube while meandering around randomly and trying not to bump into things.

I'm actually obsessive over cube puzzles (as in actual bonafide Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) Solving them calms me and puts me into kind of a meditative state, and they don't take me much thought to solve, just muscle memory and finger reflexes, so I kind of get a state where I'm operating at 100% brain power. Sort of.

gromit

likes this
Sometimes under pressure, and sometimes doing something else and it is mulling in the background and then poof just occurs to you.

KDude

I hate to be a stereotype, but... if something is in my hands. It takes more effort to keep things in my head and look at different sides of an issue that way. Probably why I'm not a Mensa member.. those tests play into that. Some would say that's a sign of "true" intelligence.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Eavesdropping, occasionally interjecting without physical or visual involvement.

I welcome the voices.

zelo1954

ISFJophile
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I like this thread. Here are some answers that pertain to me. some of them have already been given by others:

1. On a long SOLITARY walk. (as per AffirmitiveAnxiety)
2. When I remember God and ask for guidance. God focuses my mind brilliantly.
3. When someone else asks for something that I've hitherto been unsuccessful at producing.
4. When under pressure to deliver. (as per gromit)

Generalising, we seem to be looking at Need & Focus. But need -> focus anyway. So FOCUS is the key element.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Either walking or lying on my back

W

WALMART

I pace heavily.

I pace when my mind is running faster than I myself can catch it, like a runaway diesel.

Pacing helps translate some thought into physical action, I've decided, which is why I prefer to pace when on the phone. My mind cannot handle casual conversation without it.

Hm, I may have missed the point of the thread. I suppose, setting wise, I'd say at home in a place where I typically do my contemplation. But really, thought is conducent in most settings I find myself in.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I pace heavily.

I pace when my mind is running faster than I myself can catch it, like a runaway diesel.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

For some bizarre reason, I spring to my feet and start pacing whenever I need to do some SRS thought processing. My family members get totally weirded out every time I do it. At one point I seriously contemplated whether or not I had ADHD. :doh:

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
i pace too. i've cut it back because it weirds the family out, but when im a lone, i have to get up and move about to work my thoughts out.

writing (or typing) it down helps to slow down my thinking.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think best when I'm sitting in a quiet spot, alone and with a pen and paper, writing all my thoughts down -- stream-of-consciousness first, then organized retroactively. (By nature, my thoughts are a jumble, so in order to make organized sense out of them, either speaking or writing is necessary.)

It helps to be somewhere comfortable and relaxing, e.g. curled up on a nice chair, in a room with a nice design aesthetic.

Werewolfen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I also think best in a relaxed solitary environment with no distractions .I can focus and the creativity , ideas , and possibilities flow well.