• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type ad humor styles

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have theory that the root of humour is surprise/breaking taboos/undermining values. People will find something funnier the more the punch line differs from their expectations. Their expectations are shaped by their worldview so it could be predicted from Myers Briggs. Some "data" from my personal life

INTP: I like humour that is absurd or surreal deviating from my normal appreciation of things fitting together logically
ESFJ: she like physical jokes and bathroom humour. They deviant from her usual value of making people comfortable and presenting a put together image
INFP: like humour that is aggressive, rude, obnoxious and dirty. Unlike his normal self which values being concerned for others and doing the right thing.

It's only a theory thought and I'm pretty certain their are holes in it but I was wondering what you guys's thOughts were. Does type relate to humour?

KDude

My favorite comedian is Eddie Izzard. Not sure what that means. Absurd/surreal?

I've been known to laugh at old ladies breaking their hips too. I'm working on suppressing that.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I've been known to laugh at old ladies breaking their hips too. I'm working on suppressing that.

Is that really true? Like, have you recently seen an elderly woman break her hip and laughed? Not that isn't cool or anything, but I feel like people say this a lot and only actually laugh at the idea, because it's taboo or something.

No judgement if you do, though. Well, maybe a teeny bit, but I understand it's the little things in life, you know?

Back to Pseudo.

I really identify with your INTP description. A lot of early episodes of Adventure Time, Flapjack, and even older cartoons like Spongebob really embraced the surrealist kind of humor that I really enjoy.

KDude

Is that really true? Like, have you recently seen an elderly woman break her hip and laughed? Not that isn't cool or anything, but I feel like people say this a lot and only actually laugh at the idea, because it's taboo or something.

No judgement if you do, though. Well, maybe a teeny bit, but I understand it's the little things in life, you know?

Back to Pseudo.

I really identify with your INTP description. A lot of early episodes of Adventure Time, Flapjack, and even older cartoons like Spongebob really embraced the surrealist kind of humor that I really enjoy.

Stop judging me. :( :newwink:

But yes.. Unfortunately, I've laughed at a real old lady who fell. I did it as a kid, so I think that age might be more reflective of natural inclinations. I know it's wrong.. not sure what to say about it all though. I've kept the amusement to the realm of entertainment now. I was going to blog about this recently, but didn't know how to state it. Like I find myself laughing at a lot of horror or violence in movies.. Essentially they're just clever gags. It's the set up that gets me, I think. Has nothing to do with the harm of people.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Stop judging me. :( :newwink:

But yes.. Unfortunately, I've laughed at a real old lady who fell. I did it as a kid, so I think that age might be more reflective of natural inclinations. I know it's wrong.. not sure what to say about it all though. I've kept the amusement to the realm of entertainment now. I was going to blog about this recently, but didn't know how to state it. Like I find myself laughing at a lot of horror or violence in movies.. Essentially they're just clever gags. It's the set up that gets me, I think. Has nothing to do with the harm of people.

If you were a kid, then no worries. I hold the personal belief that children are pretty sociopathic in their behavior, since they haven't grasped the ability to understand others' pain / empathize that well.

Horror movies are total comedy fodder, though. Human Centipede? An INFJ friend I had laughed for days.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I hunk humour is a natural reaction for some people to discomfort or awkwardness. What you do when you are at a loss for what is appropriate to do. We watched a movie in 7th grade that involved a near rape and several students started laughing. Our teacher screamed at us and stormed out. The next day she apologized and said she understood if some of us had been incomfortable. I think humour is such a fascinating thing in instances like this.

G

Ginkgo

True, but the impact of the punch line depends on a taboo expectation. Otherwise, the joke would fall flat. These days, jokes hit hard because they depend on shifting contexts into a sort of "uber-realism" from our notions of what is acceptable. However, the jokes you might find on a Popsicle stick depend on shifting contexts into surrealism from our notions of what is acceptable. In both cases, the transition between the exposition and the punch line is absurd/unreasonable.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I hunk humour is a natural reaction for some people to discomfort or awkwardness. What you do when you are at a loss for what is appropriate to do. We watched a movie in 7th grade that involved a near rape and several students started laughing. Our teacher screamed at us and stormed out. The next day she apologized and said she understood if some of us had been incomfortable. I think humour is such a fascinating thing in instances like this.

Worse yet, when you do it in real, actual situations and people interpret it for exactly what it isn't (humorous versus a reaction out of nervousness). That's when things start to get really uncomfortable. :dry:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I enjoy surrealist humour projected into a realist background.

But I suppose it also stems from something I cant quite explain, something out of the expected, but not too far out; bordering the lines of lunacy but still structured enough to tickle me immensely.

Often this can be as subtle as the time I was watching an oldish justice league cartoon and The Flash and Lex Luthor swap bodies. Fairly straightforward stuff in a cartoon of this sort. What made me laugh was the image of The Flash, (as Luthor), standing round a table and telling everyone he has a plan, to which one of the replies was: "What are you going to do? Make everyone bald?!"

For some reason that cracks me up.

Of course there is also clever-but-not-really type of humour I enjoy as well as in that same episode Lex, (in The Flash's body still), shoots off into a bathroom and proclaims: "Well at least I can find out who The Flash really is." He takes off the mask...stares at himself in the mirror for a few seconds and then says: "I have NO idea who this is". To me that is both brilliant and bland but still very very funny.

Of course there is also anything Karl Pilkington says as evidenced by my signature. With him the humour comes not just purely from some of the ridiculous things he says, but also from the assumption that he believes what he is saying and doesn't intend it to be funny. Like his insane sounding idea of injecting an old lady in the head and she goes backwards in age after having lived a lifetime already and then dies as a baby like Benjamin Button. Or as a person dies...they have a baby growing inside of them and then the baby pops out as the person dies so each death results in a birth, which of course is pointless as we have a working reproductive system in place already.

Combined with the brilliant interjections and scenario's cooked up by Stephen Merchant and Ricky Gervais and occasionally I will be in tears while listening to their old podcasts.

Also I cannot forget his recollection of the various surreal and often downright bizarre people he grew up around. Such as: Miss Piggy, The lady with the bent neck, Shorts man, Uncle Alf, the lady with a bucket in a pram, Scruffy Sandra...and so on.

In the words of Ricky Gervais: "It's like fucking Narnia!"

But in general I enjoy rather random surrealist humour as well. I CAN enjoy slapstick surrealism in the form of weird facial expressions but that is more of a shared experience with my brother who finds this to be the pinnacle of humour, whereas I enjoy it....I think because he does. Or I enjoy his enthusiasm when he finds something that really tickles him and he plays it over and over.

Humour is interesting, of course, primarily because the second you dissect and try to explain a joke; it no longer holds any amusement. Like the idea of a granny going to get a series of organs swapped out to keep on going, it sounds humourous until you are holding the scalpel.

In this sense humour is best delivered like a successful emergency landing; whole and intact. Because then it is truely funny. I suppose I agree with [MENTION=16048]Pseudo[/MENTION] that it is derived from expectations.

But then again I wonder if you could examine your expectations. For myself I wish the world to be a strange, unusual place and it often is, but at the same time it is also endlessly banal, although this could just be the human brain's curse and gift of boredom.

The ability to shut out the fantastical nature of what is right in front of us....so that we can go and dance in our heads. In that sense boredom is our greatest creation and our mightiest ally.

Without it I dont think we would have progressed beyond poking at poo with sticks.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like irony. :D

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I really dislike bathroom humor. Not because I find it gross or inappropriate, but because I just find it unfunny. It seems like a cheap easy laugh. I do occasionally laugh when someone mentions vomit or shit or pee at inappropriate times but the humor to me is in their own embarrassment/disregard for social norms. Actual fart noises or visual bathroom humor doesn't make me laugh.

On a totally different line of thought, the evolution of humor. The fact that generally the humor of past generations falls flat on the new generations. Are we desensitized to what may have been shocking in previous eras? Are we missing the important social context? Or, a theory I find most interesting, is there a "trickle down" of ideas/jokes where we have all ready been exposed to the central idea of a joke before we hear it, therefore expecting the punch line and dulling the humor. For instance the hypothetical First joke about a mother-in-law would have been very original and funny. Now, the idea of mother in law joke, after being told in countless incarnations, has become so common and widespread that it is expected and not particularly funny.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
On a totally different line of thought, the evolution of humor. The fact that generally the humor of past generations falls flat on the new generations. Are we desensitized to what may have been shocking in previous eras? Are we missing the important social context? Or, a theory I find most interesting, is there a "trickle down" of ideas/jokes where we have all ready been exposed to the central idea of a joke before we hear it, therefore expecting the punch line and dulling the humor. For instance the hypothetical First joke about a mother-in-law would have been very original and funny. Now, the idea of mother in law joke, after being told in countless incarnations, has become so common and widespread that it is expected and not particularly funny.

This is interesting because I actually prefer a lot of older comedies and styles of humour, some of which is an art we appear to have lost over time.

Unfortunately the key component of humanity is it's ever changing advances. The core nature might stay the same, but the social, mental and even physical conceptions can be warped beyond all recognition. Like rumour...humour changes and moves and the goalpost can swap so fast it will make your head spin.

So what was original becomes something else and often it is unrecognisable.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like dark humor like Daniel Tosh or Anthony Jeselnik. However I also enjoy extreme absurdism no soap radio.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is interesting because I actually prefer a lot of older comedies and styles of humour, some of which is an art we appear to have lost over time.

Perhaps I spoke too broadly. I love lucy, the honeymooners, chalie chaplain are all great. I guess I was thinking of certain types of humor that I associate with the fifities like puns, 'mugging', physical gags and phrases that have gotten over used like "I've seen X but this is ridiculous", "why I oughta!".

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps I spoke too broadly. I love lucy, the honeymooners, chalie chaplain are all great. I guess I was thinking of certain types of humor that I associate with the fifities like puns, 'mugging', physical gags and phrases that have gotten over used like "I've seen X but this is ridiculous", "why I oughta!".

Were they ever really funny, though? I mean, would you have found those acts any funnier if you had lived in the 50's compared to a modern day you and a current day insipid sitcom?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Were they ever really funny, though? I mean, would you have found those acts any funnier if you had lived in the 50's compared to a modern day you and a current day insipid sitcom?

All I can say is ive always enjoyed blackadder, which admittedly is not as far back as the 50's, but it was around before my existance. I recently started watching it again to see if my nostalgia for it had blinded my enjoyment and made me think more of it than I should.

It had not, it was still as amusing now as it was when I first watched it. But I do admit the point about changing humour does stay true here, if it was something from the 50's I may or may not have enjoyed it as much as the style of humour would of course be different.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

good question. Perhaps they are our version of Carrot top

KDude

"Why I oughta!" is only funny if it's the Stooges. Every once in awhile I stop and watch them and they get on a roll.. Curly was a genius.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What kind of humour is archer? All my friends think it's hilarious and I think it somehow manages to be excruciatingly boring while still frequently offensive. It's one of the few shows that I am not only bored, but uncomfortable watching. (and this coming from someone who finds some South park to be very funny) :dry:

Not sure what my humour is. I like sarcasm/irony, I like a lot of standup (Eddie Izzard and Russell Peters stand out, hard to remember more names), I like most comedies but NOT the fratboy/poop joke ones, although even those will usually get a couple joke right here and there. I like a few sitcoms, not others.