• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How much is the support of MBTI in this forum being explained by..

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
..newcomers, and
..how much by people who've actually tried to use it? .. and..
..how much by people who have read theories about it.. and..
..how much by people who've tried to counteract those theories?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Impossible to answer that statistically. But like all forums about subjects outside common knowledge, it is always safe to assume that not everything being said is entirely, or at all, accurate. And it usually takes a while to find the users that really seem to know what they're talking about. But that said, even newcomers (or maybe especially newcomers) can draw the most interesting conclusions and start very interesting discussions.

So I ask you, what is the point of this thread, in your opinion? :tongue:

Impact Calculus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Most people who've read about the long list of assumptions made from jung's work would consider the majority the theory to be self-serving bunk.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Most people who've read about the long list of assumptions made from jung's work would consider the majority the theory to be self-serving bunk.

Which particular theory? MBTI?

Yeah I could see that. Jung's work as described in Psychological Types is fairly open to interpretation in some areas.

Impact Calculus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Which particular theory? MBTI?

Yeah I could see that. Jung's work as described in Psychological Types is fairly open to interpretation in some areas.

Well yeah, this universal phenomenon, that has a seemingly infinite influence on personality, ends up influencing a context that is subject to plenty of other factors. The problem lies in the fact that we cannot see these deep fixations directly. We have to learn to identify exactly what is considered the product of this behavior, and what isn't.

Even the very raw nature of how these functions appear on the surface could only be considered tendencies to jung.

The differentiation (heh) only becomes more muddled when we start to cross apply Ti to dry logic, Fe to surfaced emotions, and Si to details.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Well yeah, this universal phenomenon, that has a seemingly infinite influence on personality, ends up influencing a context that is subject to plenty of other factors. The problem lies in the fact that we cannot see these deep fixations directly. We have to learn to identify exactly what is considered the product of this behavior, and what isn't.

Even the very raw nature of how these functions appear on the surface could only be considered tendencies to jung.

The differentiation (heh) only becomes more muddled when we start to cross apply Ti to dry logic, Fe to surfaced emotions, and Si to details.

Yeah that has always been the challenge. Afterall when the evidence is heuristic it's hard to find accurate quantifiers and relationships.

I suppose ole Dario Nardi's neuroscience has produced some interesting results, but if anyone wanted to be sure about it they ought to spend a lot of time testing and trying so as to produce repeatable patterns of cognition and behaviour to link together. Which of course is empericism, which is what a great deal of the world requires for acceptance of something.

Impact Calculus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Yeah that has always been the challenge. Afterall when the evidence is heuristic it's hard to find accurate quantifiers and relationships.

I suppose ole Dario Nardi's neuroscience has produced some interesting results, but if anyone wanted to be sure about it they ought to spend a lot of time testing and trying so as to produce repeatable patterns of cognition and behaviour to link together. Which of course is empericism, which is what a great deal of the world requires for acceptance of something.

Yeah. Although, I'm interested in the consistency found in each type more than anything. I mean, if we can establish what is always true vs. what is almost always true vs what is more often than not true, then this theory would then be pushed to its limit.

Of course, then there would likely be further insight to potentially develop new models and other expansions.

Empirical data would be useful, but the MBT instrument, itself, is generally what receives the spotlight. Unfortunately the instrument lacks validity, consistency and accuracy.